Speed vs Accuracy

What I meant was, "Is there anything you're doing that is detrimental to speed and accuracy?" Something that is not essential or unavoidable. Chances are, you'll never know. I'm afraid I can't think of a good example at the moment.

Practice and training naturally have built-in limitations, chiefly for safety reasons. Ordinary ranges have limitations, as you are aware. Some do not permit rapid fire. Probably none allow any movement outside your lane. Even rifle training in the army has some of those limitations.

If you cant practice realistically at your local range, theres always Airsoft, which is really a good idea anyway. It allows you to practice things you normally wouldnt with a live gun.

Just daily handling and dryfire practice goes a long way in keeping things "thoughtless".

The biggest detriment I can think of, would be overthinking and worrying about things that have no place in the loop, especially once things do start.

Of all the thing there are to worry about, I'd say that ammunition selection is at the bottom of the list. At the top of the list would have to be familiarity with the weapon, here referring to a handgun. And I'm also referring to using it, not field-stripping or anything like that, although that's also something you need to be familiar with. It needs to be kept in good shape.

Over the years, I've decided that practicing with an empty gun or, better yet, with snap-caps, under fairly realistic conditions is a great help. It's something you can do on your own and for that matter, it's probably something you can only do on your own. The "realistic conditions" I'm referring to are the situations you are in day after day. Some things can be eye-openers compared with conditions at a range, unless the places you spend your time look a lot like a shooting range.

Another thing that is very valuable is finding out what works and what doesn't or at least what doesn't work well enough. If you carry concealed, making a draw from concealment can be problematic. It will be a compromise between concealment and ready accessibility. But everything's going to be a compromise at some point.

If you spend a lot of time in the woods, you still have the issue of ready accessibility but also security of your handgun. You don't want to lose your gun and you can't assume away these problems. Concealment might still be a consideration.

Eventually, you work out a solution that works for you and as you keep practicing, you get smoother and faster and it becomes second-nature. Soon you're able to draw your gun as fast and smooth as the way you pull out your wallet in the gun shop.

I have my own ideas, it goes without saying, and I'm happy with the way some things are working out, not so much with other things. I'm not doing anything that no one else is doing, though. I'm not that clever. Some very common things I've tried work very well for me to some extent and I've discovered that some very ordinary things I do, others can't stand.

It's probably a good idea to spend some time trying to figure out how to avoid getting into trouble in the first place.

Back