Sold my Glock 19x

Did not care for the trigger and could not shoot it very well. I have a Sig p220, S&W M&P 45acp 2.0 and a Rock Island 1911 45acp fs ultra. The Smith is a striker fire like the Glock and I shoot it well even with the 3 1/4 inch barrel. The Smith has a polymer frame like the Glock. I researched both of these pistols before buying but could not shoot the Glock worth a damn. I figured since it was a 9mm it would be easier to shoot. It was but I couldn't shoot it.

Have any of you had this experience? I really liked the gun but could not see the point in keeping it.
It took me less than a mag to figure out I was going to put a custom trigger in mine.

The US Military required a 1911 to have a minimum trigger weight of 5.5-6.5 pounds to pass inspection. That’s on a gun that has a manual thumb safety and a grip safety.

It wasn’t until Glock came along with their “Safe Action” that everyone thought it was a good idea to carry cocked and unlocked guns with 5.5 lb triggers.

I prefer Off Switches on cocked pistols.

The US Military required a 1911 to have a minimum trigger weight of 5.5-6.5 pounds to pass inspection. That’s on a gun that has a manual thumb safety and a grip safety.

It wasn’t until Glock came along with their “Safe Action” that everyone thought it was a good idea to carry cocked and unlocked guns with 5.5 lb triggers.

I prefer Off Switches on cocked pistols.
Glock is designed for the holster to be the real safety. Glock orig came to L.E. as a package deal with level 3 Safariland holster. That system is fool proof. Glock was not designed to be an idiot proof pistol. It has the NY trigger for when idiot resistance is required.

I give up with Glock. They just will NOT fix it. Since their main market is police and they want to avoid NDs more than provide target grade accuracy, I don't think it'll ever change.

Interesting comment. I never found their accuracy great, nor bad! I do find that their design, marketing and legal teams do all they can to encourage ND’s.

Who else refuses to put a basic thumb safety on their pistol to prevent accidental trigger pull. I know that in perfect conditions, it is not needed. ….or is that with prefect users, it is not needed??

Yep, when I rented Glocks, way back in '97. (wound up buying a Ruger P90 instead)

Interesting. My first gun was just a year or two after you. Like you, I rented Glocks (and just about everything else) and my first auto was also a Ruger. Mine was a 9mm, a Ruger P89, though I may have gone with a P90 if a good friend of mine didn't already have one (we often went shooting together, so it was more interesting for me to have the 9mm and for us to spend some time shooting the others' gun). Though, I was more of a revolver guy then, and my first handgun was a Taurus 82 (essentially, a Taurus version of the S&W M10).

Fast forward 20 some years, and I bought my first Glock last Friday (MD 7 day waiting period says I have a few more days until I can bring it home), a Glock 22. The trigger isn't as good as my 1911s, CZs, or S&W M&P40c, but I'm looking forward to trying something new and different (for me).

I shoot Glocks so well that it sometimes annoys me.

Stock trigger, race trigger, a worked on trigger, whichever model aside from the single stack 9mms. I've never really tried those.

The G45 and 19x shoot really well for me, too. Only thing is that I'm not a fan of mullet guns. lol.

Out of the box a Glock comes with a 5.5 lb trigger that is quite crisp after some take-up. Most 1911's come out of the box with a 5-6 lb trigger. The same as a Glock, but without the take-up. A Glock "FEELS" different, but the actual pull weight is the same.

It is fair to say that a 1911 trigger can be modified or designed from the factory with a much better trigger. And some target versions of the 1911 do come from the factory with a better trigger. But a typical 1911 designed for combat is very comparable to a Glock.

It is possible to modify a Glock trigger to be lighter, but in my experience the standard factory 5.5lb trigger feels better and I don't shoot the ones with 3.5 lb triggers any better.

If you've spent years shooting other designs, there is a learning curve to adapt to a Glocks grip shape and the trigger feel. But I've never seen anyone who couldn't master it if they tried. When our local PD made the switch to Glocks it was only the older guys who struggled. For younger cops with little experience, they immediately saw scores improve. Once the older guys mastered them, they found their scores eventually improved too.

I have fired Glocks pretty well, but I have only fired 2 of them. They work fine for me, but if you don’t like the Glock 19, sell it. I was about to say hang onto it, but I changed my mind.

jmr40: said:
Out of the box a Glock comes with a 5.5 lb trigger that is quite crisp after some take-up. Most 1911's come out of the box with a 5-6 lb trigger. The same as a Glock, but without the take-up. A Glock "FEELS" different, but the actual pull weight is the same.

It is fair to say that a 1911 trigger can be modified or designed from the factory with a much better trigger. And some target versions of the 1911 do come from the factory with a better trigger. But a typical 1911 designed for combat is very comparable to a Glock.

It is possible to modify a Glock trigger to be lighter, but in my experience the standard factory 5.5lb trigger feels better and I don't shoot the ones with 3.5 lb triggers any better.

If you've spent years shooting other designs, there is a learning curve to adapt to a Glocks grip shape and the trigger feel. But I've never seen anyone who couldn't master it if they tried. When our local PD made the switch to Glocks it was only the older guys who struggled. For younger cops with little experience, they immediately saw scores improve. Once the older guys mastered them, they found their scores eventually improved too.

Strictly “MHO”, for any of my Glocks, especially the one that I’d carry, I’d rather have a smooth trigger take-up as opposed to a “light” trigger. My Gen3 Glock 17 has a full APEX Action Enhancement trigger package. This has a nice tactile feel with a really nice little bit of resistance in the take-up, and it suits my intended purpose. After 13 years and upwards of 50K rounds this is pretty much a range gun these days. I have not changed any of the springs and don’t intend to. Some of the other trigger setups I’ve seen & tried are about as good as how well they are set up in the first place. The ZEV triggers I’ve tried are OK, but these are a bit light since these setups often come with lighter springs, so I don’t think I’d want to carry it. I don’t like the Pyramid triggers and I definitely wouldn’t carry one. Again my $0.02 worth.

Last edited:
Back