Sold my Glock 19x

I've never been able to shoot Glocks well. I'm of the opinion that it's the blocky grip and grip angle. I say this because I can shoot Polymer 80s just fine and they use Glock internals. Much prefer my Smith M&P, I can shoot that just fine and it's the original version not the 2.0.

Why should one just "get over it"?
Am wondering, if your wife put you in credit card debt, slept with the next door neighbor and 4 of his buddies and sold your amps to feed a cocaine habit, would you just get over it?

Not everyone likes, desires or wants glocks.
You compare getting use to less than optimal handling to this? Are you making a mountain out of......A puddle of sand?

Never understand people complain about Glock's handle is too slanted. But they never complain about all the revolvers of over 100 years that the handle is more slanted and they shot just fine!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you on this one, as much as I like Glock and all the aftermarket support, I just don't shoot them well, they don't point naturally for me, and the grips feel too square, they just don't fit me. So, I shoot S&W SD9's instead. The stock triggers suck, but one has an Apex trigger and spring kit, the other has a Galloway Precision trigger and spring kit, and my 3rd/beater SD9 has just Apex springs and thousands of rounds down the pipe, is 100% reliable, only failures I've ever had were ammo related/bad primer. Otherwise, they're highly under-rated, affordable, and utterly reliable.

Last edited:
44amp said:
You're welcome to your opinion, but I must disagree with this. I don't think a Glock is safer to carry than a 1911 type pistol with the safety on. There have been lots of times GLocks have been "accidently" fired, some of them rather famous.
Quoted for emphasis! Thank you.

Linker said:
Did not care for the trigger and could not shoot it very well.
This is kind of individual sentiment, but IME you are right. While a pretty good design, the long flexible parts give a slightly spongy feeling. The M&P uses a rotating sear that works good.

44amp said:
Generally speaking while its not always possible, generally, its easier to make a defense gun into a match gun than the reverse. Neither one is a trivial exercise and sometimes it just cannot be done satisfactorily. In those cases, get a different gun, one made for what you want.
I find that 1911 pistols, especially the 2011 type really excel in a high speed high accuracy environment, but have something in their design that makes feeding questionable. All of the better makers and gunsmiths understand this and have it under control.

On the other hand, striker fired gun makers have attacked the shooting sports with sponsored matches, sponsored shooters and match guns to get their high margin models front and center over the 2011 guns of smaller makers. All that sponsor money has changed rules, courses of fire and just what guns can afford to be at big matches.

I'm with you on this one, as much as I like Glock and all the aftermarket support, I just don't shoot them well, they don't point naturally for me, and the grips feel too square, they just don't fit me. So, I shoot S&W SD9's instead. The stock triggers suck, but one has an Apex trigger and spring kit, the other has a Galloway Precision trigger and spring kit, and my 3rd/beater SD9 has just Apex springs and thousands of rounds down the pipe, is 100% reliable, only failures I've ever had were ammo related/bad primer. Otherwise, they're highly under-rated, affordable, and utterly reliable.
Good to know, I am collecting info on new polymer guns. Good to know SD9 is reliable for you.

I said before, I got out of shooting since very early 90s. Glock was famous and proofed to be ultra reliable and last a lot of rounds. So my first gun I bought lately is Glock just because I have no idea about other polymer guns. That's why I defend Glock more because that's the only one I know.

Now that I bought my glock already, I am looking at S&W now. Like M&P, I wish more people talk about their experience.

For me, comfort is secondary, I look for reliability and longevity. I just put up with the handling for that. I have to agree 1911 has the best feel, just the old design and not as reliable from my experience. Also, it's hard to beat the accuracy of my Gold Cup after I accurized it. Just I can never make it reliable with CCI Blazer with JHP that the front looks like an ashtray!!! It FTF occasionally.

BTW...Palmetto State Armory has some LEO M&P trade-ins for around $300.
Most buyers have been reporting they're in generally good condition.

For what it's worth, I'd like to point out four indisputable facts:

• Unlike the AR-15, the M1911 was purposefully designed and used as a weapon of war;

• Although the M1911 design is now 111 years old, no one has yet to design and build a better handgun trigger;

• Inadvertent discharges of Glocks have occurred where no booger hook was anywhere near the trigger; and,

• The stock Glock trigger is short and light, in comparison to other, safetiless DA pistols, which contributes to the many inadvertent discharges that have been documented.

• Inadvertent discharges of Glocks have occurred where no booger hook was anywhere near the trigger; and,

• The stock Glock trigger is short and light, in comparison to other, safetiless DA pistols, which contributes to the many inadvertent discharges that have been documented.

On the first point, that would indicate those pistols were in poor working order or were modified as the mechanical workings of Glocks don’t allow the pistol to just spontaneously discharge.

On the second point, compared to many of the striker fired pistols on the market these days Glock triggers are nowhere near as short and light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While Glocks to me are not something that stirs my soul. I do own a number of them and they are very reliable and do what they were meant to do, that is go bang when the trigger is pulled. I would like to see an actual case of a real inadvertent discharge, not a negligent discharge or accidental. They are designed to be safe as long as the instructions with them are followed, people catching the trigger on a holster or hook when hanging it up, or people messing with the mechanics of them don't count

• Unlike the AR-15, the M1911 was purposefully designed and used as a weapon of war;

I would respectfully ask, how is that relevant to anything but anti-gun propaganda?

• Although the M1911 design is now 111 years old, no one has yet to design and build a better handgun trigger;

I have several handguns with triggers as good, and some even better than the 1911 design, but they aren't duty class semi auto service pistols. :D

No question 1911 has the best feel. And with accurization, it's very accurate. I doubt Glock can even touch that.

It's the weight, reliability and durability of Glock that I like. Double the round count and only a little over 1/2 the weight of 1911. I never managed to make the Gold Cup totally reliable with CCI Blazer JHP. It's reliable with FMJ only.

I do NOT buy that 1911 is safer than Glock. They are just different. I would never feel comfortable with cocked and locked on the 1911.

Last edited:
Did not care for the trigger and could not shoot it very well. I have a Sig p220, S&W M&P 45acp 2.0 and a Rock Island 1911 45acp fs ultra. The Smith is a striker fire like the Glock and I shoot it well even with the 3 1/4 inch barrel. The Smith has a polymer frame like the Glock. I researched both of these pistols before buying but could not shoot the Glock worth a damn. I figured since it was a 9mm it would be easier to shoot. It was but I couldn't shoot it.

Have any of you had this experience? I really liked the gun but could not see the point in keeping it.
Did major trigger work on mine and it still borderline sux. Its fine for a defensive gun.

No question 1911 has the best feel. And with accurization, it's very accurate. I doubt Glock can even touch that.

It's the weight, reliability and durability of Glock that I like. Double the round count and only a little over 1/2 the weight of 1911. I never managed to make the Gold Cup totally reliable with CCI Blazer JHP. It's reliable with FMJ only.

I do NOT buy that 1911 is safer than Glock. They are just different. I would never feel comfortable with cocked and locked on the 1911.
You can make a Glock as accurate as any 1911. Machine frame to accept pressed barrel bushing and fit barrel and bushing. I have only seen a couple, but they shot. You can make one shoot pretty dog gone good with just fitting a custom barrel.

Last edited:
You can make a Glock as accurate as any 1911. Machine frame to accept pressed barrel bushing and fit barrel and bushing. I have only seen a couple, but they shot. You can make one shoot pretty dog gone good with just fitting a custom barrel.
I know one can tighten the slide, barrel play and all that to make it more consistent. But.............

Can you make the trigger of Glock as good as a good 1911? I thought the design is in such that the Glock is like 1 1/2 action, that you still need to pull harder and trigger travel a lot more to fire. Where is 1911 is true single action. I have my Gold Cup very crisp, no creep, light(I don't remember, must be somewhere in 3lbs range).

I know one can tighten the slide, barrel play and all that to make it more consistent. But.............

Can you make the trigger of Glock as good as a good 1911? I thought the design is in such that the Glock is like 1 1/2 action, that you still need to pull harder and trigger travel a lot more to fire. Where is 1911 is true single action. I have my Gold Cup very crisp, no creep, light(I don't remember, must be somewhere in 3lbs range).
You can get a good trigger but not comparable to the best 1911. For clarification, I consider that a shootability and not an accuracy factor. I consider accuracy as measured from a rest. You are indeed correct.

Yep, for my first Glock, I bought the 34, (competition 9 mm) thinking that long sight radius and lighter trigger would make it a shooter. Alas, it was combat accurate, but not really target accurate, thanks to the spongy break.

Now, S&W, Sig Sauer, Walther, Taurus and even Kel-Tec have figured out how to make a striker action with a pretty clean break, but Glock has not lowered themselves to do it yet.

I guess it's because their main buyer is cops, and the thing now is to give cops really heavy triggers, so the mfrs can defend themselves in court with that fact when a cop does a negligent discharge.

I would never feel comfortable with cocked and locked on the 1911.

And yet many people feel quite "comfortable" stuffing a "quasi-cocked" and unlocked (no manual safety and no grip safety) striker-fired pistol having the same weight or less trigger pull, into their pocket or iwb holster. Those same people would never dream of carrying a 1911 pistol "cocked and unlocked" in their britches but that's pretty much the same thing when carrying the typical striker-fired pistol.

I feel much more comfortable in terms of safety when carrying a 1911 pistol in a "condition one" configuration than I would any Glock or its ilk. Each to their own.

And yet many people feel quite "comfortable" stuffing a "quasi-cocked" and unlocked (no manual safety and no grip safety) striker-fired pistol having the same weight or less trigger pull, into their pocket or iwb holster. Those same people would never dream of carrying a 1911 pistol "cocked and unlocked" in their britches but that's pretty much the same thing when carrying the typical striker-fired pistol.

I feel much more comfortable in terms of safety when carrying a 1911 pistol in a "condition one" configuration than I would any Glock or its ilk. Each to their own.

Amen

Back