Sold my Glock 19x

Linker

Did not care for the trigger and could not shoot it very well. I have a Sig p220, S&W M&P 45acp 2.0 and a Rock Island 1911 45acp fs ultra. The Smith is a striker fire like the Glock and I shoot it well even with the 3 1/4 inch barrel. The Smith has a polymer frame like the Glock. I researched both of these pistols before buying but could not shoot the Glock worth a damn. I figured since it was a 9mm it would be easier to shoot. It was but I couldn't shoot it.

Have any of you had this experience? I really liked the gun but could not see the point in keeping it.

What's wrong keep it and buy another different one?

I have glock 26 which I have not shot yet over a year I bought it. I have Colt Gold Cup 1911. There's NO COMPARISON of the trigger between the Glock and 1911. 1911 is so so much better for sure. Glock is really not single action. It's half way between single and double action. ha ha, it's like 1 1/2 action!!!

I think they are for different purpose. Glock is a lot safer to carry, the action is heavy so you don't accidentally fire it. I cannot see Glock as target shooting. I think it's for close distance rapid fire type.

I don't know the accuracy of Glock, but I seriously question how good for target shooting like 25 yds target.

I would keep the Glock any time of the day over 1911. There's no comparison on reliability between the two. 1911 is accent design over 100 years ago. I do gun smithing, I can never make the Gold Cup feed reliabile with CCI JHP that the profile looks more like an ashtray that cause FTF. It has two stage feed ramp and small ejector port. Both potentially cause hangups.

I don't know anything about p220 and S&W M&P. Can you tell me hows their reliability compare with Glock 19? I read a lot of good things about M&P.

I don't know the accuracy of Glock, but I seriously question how good for target shooting like 25 yds target.

They are service pistols not bullseye guns. that said, I can reliably hit a USPSA shilloute at 25 yards. With careful aim I have got hits as far as 75 yards with my Glock 19 and my 26 when I had it.

Glock is a lot safer to carry, the action is heavy so you don't accidentally fire it.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I must disagree with this. I don't think a Glock is safer to carry than a 1911 type pistol with the safety on. There have been lots of times GLocks have been "accidently" fired, some of them rather famous.

I would keep the Glock any time of the day over 1911. There's no comparison on reliability between the two. 1911 is accent design over 100 years ago. I do gun smithing, I can never make the Gold Cup feed reliabile with CCI JHP that the profile looks more like an ashtray that cause FTF. It has two stage feed ramp and small ejector port. Both potentially cause hangups.

Keep the Glock, I'll keep the Govt model. The Gold Cup is a target gun. It wasn't intended or made to be anything else. Whenever you run any gun on something it was never intentionally made to shoot, there are issues, and sometimes ones that gunsmithing won't fix. Generally speaking while its not always possible, generally, its easier to make a defense gun into a match gun than the reverse. Neither one is a trivial exercise and sometimes it just cannot be done satisfactorily. In those cases, get a different gun, one made for what you want.

I have 1911's, Glocks, S&W's, Sigs and HK's. I find I shoot them all about the same. I have never been able to understand how someone could shoot one gun well and somehow not be able to adapt to a different gun. Stock Glock triggers aren't the best, but they are far from being the worst I have ever tried.

I will admit that some guns are easier to shoot really well, like a Sig P210 for instance, but from my own personal experience, if I run a couple dozen rounds through any particular gun I can get reasonably proficient with it. Maybe not operator proficient, but good enough to get the job done. Of course that precludes there isn't something mechanically wrong with it.

It's kind of like saying that you can only drive a Toyota Camry and can't get the hang of driving a Mercedes, or a pickup.

Last edited:
You're welcome to your opinion, but I must disagree with this. I don't think a Glock is safer to carry than a 1911 type pistol with the safety on. There have been lots of times GLocks have been "accidently" fired, some of them rather famous.

Keep the Glock, I'll keep the Govt model. The Gold Cup is a target gun. It wasn't intended or made to be anything else. Whenever you run any gun on something it was never intentionally made to shoot, there are issues, and sometimes ones that gunsmithing won't fix. Generally speaking while its not always possible, generally, its easier to make a defense gun into a match gun than the reverse. Neither one is a trivial exercise and sometimes it just cannot be done satisfactorily. In those cases, get a different gun, one made for what you want.
The design of Gold Cup is the same as the other government. What I said hold true. Glock is so much more advanced, AND the polish of the feedramp is very good. I did all I can on the gold cup and there's nothing I can do about the two pieces feedramp that has a kink in the middle no matter what. There's nothing I can go about the small ejector port. At least through careful shaping the extractor, I can clear the ejector port. In fact, I made the shell flies out over 4 ft away unrestricted, not like bouncing up and hit people's head and all that. Just the feedramp cannot be made good enough.

Look at Glock, the top of the slide is wide open so the shell can pop out unrestricted. One piece feedramp. That alone counts a lot. Of cause I know people will never let go of the old stuffs. That's human nature. Just like there are serious audio people that still hang onto the vinyl records.

Had a sig p365.
Hated it, shot it crap, sold that pos and never looked back.
Am of the mind, if you don't like something, why hang on to it.
I'll take an MP over a glock any day. They fit my hand and I shoot them very well.

People still buy vinyl records because the sound quality is superior.

I can't explain it but I shoot the other three well. Meanwhile not the Glock. I don't know.

sevt chevelle you are right about vinyl records. I still have many and play them.

I have 3 Glocks G26 9mm, G23 40S&W, and G30 45 ACP.
I like Glocks, sometimes I work as an armed guard, and have qualified in all three in one range session. True, the Glocks are not target guns. They are very successful as service sidearms. I do find them accurate enough to qualify with ease. All completely stock, as issued. That is the thing I really like about Glocks is that I know I can pick-up anyone, anywhere, and hit my target (for combat shooting, not Bullseyes).
Do what ever you want, but my thought is try another hundred rounds, on a few Birchwood Casey Eze-Scorer NRA B-27 Targets 23" x 35", $60 for a hundred at Midway. The scoring for qualification rule of thumb is one large ragged hole in the center, and only 2 - 3 away from the hole = pass. I have the course of fire (generally 20 - 25 feet, right handed, left handed, barricade, etc.) on my computer somewhere. Actual real life combat shooting is “three shots, three yards, three seconds”
Glock does also make models specifically intended for competitive shooting.

I had a G21SF years ago. Everyone said it was a great gun, but being used to the CZ ergos and grip angle I had trouble aiming. I also felt like the trigger was very squishy and discovered the side of the gun was flexing outward when pulling the trigger.

I shoot a 1911 much better. My CZ 97b SAO was fantastic but it kept breaking.

I'm very curious about the M&P 45.

I want to put in my question. I have a Glock 26. How does S&W M&P in 9mm compare to Glock in terms of reliability(no jam) and longevity(shoot a lot of rounds). I read Glock is very good on both, just curious about the M&P. If I buy another one, it would be boring to buy another Glock.

I have not be shooting since the early 90s. Glock was quite new at the time and I read a lot of good things that it is reliable and can survive a whole lot of rounds. So when I was in the market last year, I had to buy a Glock no matter what. Now that I have one, I can look at others.

Last edited:
I can usually shoot my 19X very well if I’m doing my part. I love the stock trigger, and I’ve always liked the slide length of a 19 with the frame & grip length of a 17. The gun balances beautifully in my hand. My minor issue with it has always been the coyote color, just not my taste, and I even tried to trade it for a Glock Model 45 9mm, but it was a lousy deal. But I otherwise like the gun so much that I’ve learned to live with the awful color.

The OP is trying to compare his 19X with his other .45 ACP pistols, and I can’t think of any of my .45’s that I can directly compare to my 19X. My best shooting Glock was, is, and will probably continue to be my Gen4 Glock 21, it’s just a better shooter for me, and .45 ACP ammo puts bigger holes in targets than 9mm. When Glock came out with the Gen5 22 and 23 in .40S&W, they finally improved these guns with heavier mass slides, which (IMHO) is what these models needed all along. Glock has to offer a 21 and a 30 in Gen5 configuration sooner or later. Line forms behind me to buy either one of these.

Did not care for the trigger and could not shoot it very well. I have a Sig p220, S&W M&P 45acp 2.0 and a Rock Island 1911 45acp fs ultra. The Smith is a striker fire like the Glock and I shoot it well even with the 3 1/4 inch barrel. The Smith has a polymer frame like the Glock. I researched both of these pistols before buying but could not shoot the Glock worth a damn. I figured since it was a 9mm it would be easier to shoot. It was but I couldn't shoot it.

Have any of you had this experience? I really liked the gun but could not see the point in keeping it.
If you don't like the trigger, and don't shoot it well, no reason to keep it, IMHO. There are just too many good alternatives out there. I had a Gen 4 G19 and, for a while, I loved it. But that was kind of 'new gun infatuation.' The more I shot it, the more I realized that it really didn't fit my hand all that well, and I wanted something smaller and lighter for CC. I bought a 9mm Shield 1.0. And I shot it a lot better than the G19. Once I started carrying the Shield, the G19 was almost immediately relegated to safe queen status, and I don't generally keep safe queens. So I sold the whole setup, spare mags, holsters, etc. I don't regret it, either. Used the money to buy a rifle I really like.

I have a glock 17 and I have the same gripes as the OP. I don't like the trigger (no matter how I tried to improve it) and I am less accurate with it than other steel-frame 9mm's. The Glock always shoots, works perfectly as designed and never breaks. Yes, I keep it because it is rugged and reliable. I just hardly ever shoot it.

Spats McGee: said:
If you don't like the trigger, and don't shoot it well, no reason to keep it, IMHO. There are just too many good alternatives out there. I had a Gen 4 G19 and, for a while, I loved it. But that was kind of 'new gun infatuation.' The more I shot it, the more I realized that it really didn't fit my hand all that well, and I wanted something smaller and lighter for CC. I bought a 9mm Shield 1.0. And I shot it a lot better than the G19. Once I started carrying the Shield, the G19 was almost immediately relegated to safe queen status, and I don't generally keep safe queens. So I sold the whole setup, spare mags, holsters, etc. I don't regret it, either. Used the money to buy a rifle I really like.

If you don't like the trigger, no reason to buy the gun in the first place. When I lived in San Diego, you had the CA DOJ Gun Roster to deal with. The only Glocks that are available then and now, to a non-LEO are the Gen3 models. Since there weren’t many CA rostered guns that interested me, I started modifying sights & triggers on the Glocks I already had. The Apex Tactical Action Enhancement trigger and Wilson Combat sights transformed my Gen3 17. And since I wasn’t buying guns while I lived out there, I was able to concentrate on my shooting at a really great indoor range, shout out to Poway Weapons & Gear, great facility and first class staff out there. And I was much better off for the experience. Best advice I can give to anybody is to buy or modify something you can shoot well, then get out & shoot it as often as you can.

I have a glock 17 and I have the same gripes as the OP. I don't like the trigger (no matter how I tried to improve it) and I am less accurate with it than other steel-frame 9mm's. The Glock always shoots, works perfectly as designed and never breaks. Yes, I keep it because it is rugged and reliable. I just hardly ever shoot it.
That's the key, reliability and longevity. For accuracy, I have my Gold Cup, Ruger Mark II bull barrel. For target and accuracy, you don't need reliability. Even if you have a jam during competition, you lose a match, no big deal. For self defense, gun jam, you'll be in deep trouble. I would not consider using the Gold Cup for self defense. Mark II never jam once after over 20k+ rounds, but it's only a 22!!

Glock trigger is lousy, let's be honest, it's for safety and reliability. In self defense situation, you shoot closer up and rapid fire. That's where Glock shins.

I bought the Glock 26 over 19 because it's a lot smaller.

Last edited:
People complain the gun is not comfortable, kicks too hard and all that. GET OVER IT!!! I shot from 357mag to Freedom Arms mini 22mag with 1" barrel. You want to talk about hard to hold the tiny gun and big kick? You learn to deal with it. Recoil never border me. If you know how to shoot, they are the same. I practice with the Ruger Mark II 22, then before going to competition, I shot the Gold Cup one time before competition. They are the same. Stop telling yourself that it's hard to control, just shoot.

People complain the gun is not comfortable, kicks too hard and all that. GET OVER IT!!! I shot from 357mag to Freedom Arms mini 22mag with 1" barrel. You want to talk about hard to hold the tiny gun and big kick? You learn to deal with it. Recoil never border me. If you know how to shoot, they are the same. I practice with the Ruger Mark II 22, then before going to competition, I shot the Gold Cup one time before competition. They are the same. Stop telling yourself that it's hard to control, just shoot.

But people don’t have to get over it. There are lots of options on the market these days that do essentially what Glock does but with different ergonomics. I say this as someone that really likes Glocks and carries them regularly. I’ve owned a number, if not most, of the Glock alternatives. They’re generally as reliable and for some people they are more appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But people don’t have to get over it. There are lots of options on the market these days that do essentially what Glock does but with different ergonomics. I say this as someone that really likes Glocks and carries them regularly. I’ve owned a number, if not most, of the Glock alternatives. They’re generally as reliable and for some people they are more appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good lead in to my question. How reliable are the S&W M&P 9mm and other polymer frame guns? how rugged are they to withstand abuse and lots of rounds?

I have no idea on the new guns. All I know at the time(in late 80s and early 90s), Glock went through vigorous testing and proofed itself. That's the reason I am so for Glock and willing look pass all the other stuffs.

I said it at the very start here I don't know the other ones OP mentioned, just the 1911 and Glock. That, I can speak from my own experience that I'd take the Glock any time of the day.

This is more a question than comment. Ha ha, I actually thinking what to buy if I want to buy another gun. I know I got to have a Glock. Now that I have a Glock, I want to look at other option and I have no idea. I want to find ones that are as reliable and rugged as Glock. It has to be polymer though, no aluminum or steel frame.

Back