So what's the big BBQ glove for when shooting CMP service rifle ?

Saw some others have mentioned it but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

The glove helps in a few areas. It helps kill your heartbeat pulse from transferring to the rifle. Not so much an issue at 100 yards but try shooting out to 600 with and without one and you'll see the difference. It also provides cushioning of sorts when using the sling.

A shooting jacket while not ABSOLUTELY necessary is very helpful. When shooting in offhand it helps stiffen you up so you aren't swaying. It usually provides some sort of surface that helps hold the buttstock in place. It provides some sort of cushioning for your elbows when in prone position, there are usually pads of some sort that also help with keeping your elbows from sliding around on the shooting mat. They also help prevent heartbeat pulse from transferring from the sling to the rifle.

A shooting glove or mitt is usually pretty inexpensive, considering the benefits you reap from it I would say its a must have. The jacket is pretty important too, however the cost is usually pretty high. You can achieve some of the same benefits from just wearing a sweatshirt or 2. Or improvise like I have, I am currently using a Carhartt winter coat that is a bunch of years old and I outgrew. Yup... wearing asubzero arctic coat in the middle of July at Camp Perry in 3 weeks haha. Hotter than hell but it works.

Equipment matters to a point but it isn't everything. Best gear in the world wont make you a better shooter, practice does. Some things help you hone the technique but at the end of the day it all comes down to your abilities. Start out with the basics, a decent gun, decent ammo, a shooting mat, nylon sling, and a basic shooting glove. Keep track of your progress.

I don't know your part of the country too well but is there anyplace that does highpower matches in your area? If so, go to one of them and watch them, get an idea of what they are doing, what kind of gear ordinary folks are actually using, I think you may be surprised. Talk to whoever is running the match and ask them if they ever do highpower clinics. You may even find someone there to show you the basics after the match.

If you are feeling REALLY adventurous they hold a firing school at Camp Perry every summer during the National Matches where the Army Marksmanship unit teaches you how to do this and do it well.

http://odcmp.com/NM/SAFS.htm

If equipment doesn't make a difference why do they need it. When I was playing golf sure Tiger Woods could be beat me with my club but didn't need 15 other things to do it.

You build a rifle that needs gloves/coat etc and the talent is the whole package.

It's also like finding out where you're at afloat in a boat at sea.

Learn to read the stars at night as Polyneseans did centuries ago and be within a hundred miles.

Do celestial navigation with a good sextant, navigator's almanac and clock. Do the math longhand or with a calculator. If your clock's not accurate, you'll be off by up to 500 yards for each second of error. If the angles read off the sextant at incorrect, you'll be off over 2000 yards for each minute of angle.

Get a cheap GPS receiver and be off 10 to 20 feet.

How accurate do you want to be?

How accurate do you want to be? Get a cheap GPS receiver and be off 10 to 20 feet.

Well I'd have to say that I'd like to be closer then 10 to 20 feet from the bull :D

I like to set goals and then when met push it further . Sure I'd love to say I'd like my accuracy to be all in the x ring but really for now I want all shots on the scoreable target area . Once that happens I'll want all in the black for each appropriate target and distance . Then I'll want to be competitive or even start winning .

The reason this has been encouraging even though I'm not shooting all that well is the fact this has been the first time I have ever shot with irons at these distances . Until last week I would never had tried to shoot 200yds standing off hand . I would have never thought I would hit the target . Now that I know I can , with close to no training or practice and a firearm although capable is not what one would want to use for real accuracy . I think my goals can not only be met I'd like to think in a year or two I may even be competitive .

There are a few things that will be a must that have nothing to do with the equipment and all to do with how bad I want to reach my goals .

The big one will be my physical fitness . I cramped up quite quick when shooting prone and I was not shooting long in that position . That was not pleasant and took a bit of time to get relaxed again . I'm a big guy and a bit over weight 6'3" 265lbs . I've always been a big guy and been physically active but I'm at the point that I'm not getting any younger . Stretching out before shooting prone next time may be a good idea . Loosing 10 or 15lbs may not hurt :rolleyes: My point is I do recognize the equipment will only help so much if I really want to get better .

I'm sure there is a way to shoot prone and be relaxed at the same time . I just don't know what that is yet . Bart I remember you a while back recommending a book or video that explained shooting prone . At least I think it was you . If you or anyone else has a good tutorial in all shooting positions really that I can check out that would be great .

Should I even bother to practice getting into position with equipment that I will not be using and is quite different then what I'll be using ? I could put my A2 lower on the carbine upper and use a carry handle . That would get it closer to what the rifle would ultimately be ??? I have a few things on back order and my rifle will not be done till August-ish some time

Last edited:
In reading the posts there seems to be an over emphasis on winning. It's natural and part of the game. However, for most of the high end competitors I've been fortunate enough to shoot with view the match as a social event. A chance to be with others of like interest and enjoy a day at the range. Their idea of winning is not making mistakes. For it is the person with the fewest errors who makes the top of the results. On any given day the best shooters are just as capable of shooting a miss as the beginner marksman. At the beginning of the match everyone can consider themselves a potential top dog. Yes there are some who feel winning is the only reason to enter but considering that rifle shooting does not always offer thousands of dollars in prizes doing your best and avoiding mistakes becomes a personal accomplishment. I've always preferred to look at my performance rather then the score. Focusing on performance yields fewer crashes equaling higher score. So relax, focus on the task at hand but always have fun. Ask other about their equipment. Ask about technique. Highpower shooters will always help. I would never have made High Master without other shooter assistance.

Check the CMP website for books and videos about service rifle shooting.

David

David, how right you are.

If you follow the results of the top few dozen high power match rifle or service rifle shooters, you'll see they move up and down on the scoreboard for both match and aggregate results. None of them stay at the same level day after week after month. Same thing for all those in all classification levels.

Metal god said:
I'm sure there is a way to shoot prone and be relaxed at the same time . I just don't know what that is yet . Bart I remember you a while back recommending a book or video that explained shooting prone . At least I think it was you . If you or anyone else has a good tutorial in all shooting positions really that I can check out that would be great .

I'll defer to experienced rifle shooters on prone tips. I'm going through Tubbs' book now, which has been helpful, but I suspect there's some stuff in there that works for him, yet might not be universal, so I don't necessarily take it as gospel.

The only other thing I can say (after practicing smallbore prone this past winter) is that prone got more comfy the more I used it. It was kinda like a bicycle seat - those first few rides are pretty rough ;).

4EVERM-14 said:
In reading the posts there seems to be an over emphasis on winning. It's natural and part of the game. However, for most of the high end competitors I've been fortunate enough to shoot with view the match as a social event. A chance to be with others of like interest and enjoy a day at the range. Their idea of winning is not making mistakes. For it is the person with the fewest errors who makes the top of the results.

As I wrote earlier "Shoot your best, and let the chips fall where they may." To overly focus on winning is a distraction, especially during a match, since it's not being focused on the process of shooting your best. An over-focus on winning also risks making it part of your identity or self-worth, which can make you pretty miserable in the long run.

That said, there's not a thing wrong with being happy for or proud of a win. Nor is there a thing wrong with it providing a little extra motivation during your training. Winning feels good, plain and simple. Enjoy it when you can, I say!

First off, despite my earlier emphasis, I agree winning isn't everything and shouldn't be the only reason to shoot.

Secondly prone should be comfortable. Done properly you should feel like you're just lying on the ground behind your rifle. I'm actually surprised I never fell asleep at the stock while waiting out at Perry a time or three. Let me see if I can articulate how I set-up a prone position and if it may help you.

1) Start by slinging into the rifle. Make sure you have enough tension to hold the rifle in place. I find when properly slung in, my support hand is held in place by the sling across the back of my hand (reason #1 for the BBQ mitt! ;) ) and I can control and move the rifle without my firing grip.

2) Lay down on the mat. I use a cocked-leg position, which I find frees up my firing hand to move about to work on a log book and grab ammo while shooting. Rotate your legs and waist around your support arm (forward) elbow until the rifle is pointed at the target.

3) Place the butt of the rifle into your shoulder, lay down on the stock and take your firing position. See where you're pointing. If the elevation is off, move the position of your support hand until the elevation is correct. Make sure you keep the buttstock where you can comfortably center your eye behind the aperture.

4) Close your eyes, breath and relax all of your muscles. You're checking for NPA. There should be no muscle tension pulling the rifle onto the target. Open your eyes and check the sights, adjust your position as needed.

5) Dry-fire a few times, checking for NPA and repeatability. Again, don't try to use your muscles to pull the rifle onto the target. Your body is going to relax when the trigger breaks, what you're trying to make sure is that you don't move the sights off target when this happens.

Oh, and since I forgot at the beginning: lay out all of the items you want to be able to access within arm's reach. Ammo, notebook, clip board. It sounds simple but may take a little practice to fine-tune. Same with the spotting scope. You want to set it up so you don't have to break position to see through it.

Hopefully that helps some. If you can find a local shooter who is willing to coach you, I'm sure 30 minutes would be more valuable my few words with no pictures.

Later I may attempt to describe offhand.

Something else that may help

CMP has a DVD with the USAMU.

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=784DVDBRM

+1 on winning isn't everything. Realistically you are going to initially come across shooters who will mop the floor with you. Sometimes that means the teenage girl shooting next to you is going to shoot better than you. Just accept it. Remember you're supposed to be having fun. Start off with keeping track of your scores. When you go to the range for practice, keep track of how you well you shoot. Shoot your first match and see if you can beat your score at the next match. Keep track of your progress over the course of a year. Keeping track of everything will give you the ability to look back at the data and say, OK I need to work on my offhand or rapid fire prone.

Just remember to have fun. I'm not saying don't take the shooting seriously, but remember why you got into it in the first place.

Last edited:
Back