So some of the posts have been really helpful for rifles

taylorce1 said:
The OP needs to forget physics and start studying the science of projectiles in flight called "ballistics".

Agreed. 5th grade math isn't going to provide all the answers you seek. As others are (and have been) saying, some basic knowledge of ballistics will help you tremendously.

=taylorce1 said:
I love the "weaponizing math" kraigwy! I might have to steal that one in the future.

Reminds me of a quote I read somewhere:

"Shooting a handgun well is skill, shooting a rifle well is a science, and shooting a shotgun well is an art".

The physics discussion is being taken to a whole new level. The OP needs to forget physics and start studying the science of projectiles in flight called "ballistics". Physics alone can't answer his questions.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Well said.

"Shooting a handgun well is skill, shooting a rifle well is a science, and shooting a shotgun well is an art".

Well than Im the best when it comes to skill, Im good when it comes to art, and Im terrible at science.

I always fancied myself a scientist.

I think shooting a rifle well, particularly at long range, is both. I would argue that reading the wind at 600 yards and beyond, while certainly a science (Isaac Newton will not be denied), is a bit of an art, that takes a lot of practice to get good at (preferably under instruction from someone who is already "an artist").

So anyway Im wondering what is the deal with Remington. As I said earlier in this thread I heard at a gun shop that Remington isn't what its used to be and that as of recently they have been producing junk. The salesman at the shop said that for considerably less money you could get a Savage Arms and you would end up with a significantly better gun. You would get more for less when you buy a Savage Arms instead of a modern Remington. Now its just plain common sense not to believe everything you hear at a gun shop or for that matter any shop. Shops are out to sell stuff and that being the case they will tell you whatever they need to in order to get you to buy. Not to buy good quality stuff but just to buy and to get money out of your pocket and into theirs. That is why Im taking it with a grain of salt about what I was told at the gun shop. And as far as the shop making money, the guy at the shop was pointing me in the direction of buying a Savage Arms gun which costs less than a Remington and the shop sold both. So that's another factor to consider, I was being advised to spend less money at the store not more if I wanted something better. Anyway, as I said I am well aware not to believe everything I hear at shops so that's why Im asking about it here. Is Remington having problems with their products as of recently? If I were to automatically believe what I was told at the shop I wouldn't be posting about it here, Im posting it here because Im researching if I should believe what I was told, that Remington now makes junk and that Savage Arms makes better products for a lower price.

Remington quality has dropped off, but mostly fit and finish things, primarily driven by cost cutting. Savage fit and finish was never all that great to begin with, so it hasn't really changed.

This mostly applies to entry level rifles (SPS, ADL), the higher end Remingtons (BDL) still seem to be pretty good. If you build anything to a price point, you need to let some things slide, in this case the more labor intensive fit and finish.

There is also the issue of the Walker trigger, a subject that has been truly beaten to death on this forum. Really doesn't matter at this point, you can no longer buy a new Remington 700 with the excellent Walker trigger.

Modern manufacturing is excellent, even a cheap entry level rifle will outshoot most people.

And a shop owner pointing you toward a lower priced item is really meaningless from the standpoint of how much money he will make, since you don't know how much they cost him. The lower priced item may have a higher margin.

Well I want to make the point that if I hear something that doesn't necessarily mean I believe it. I want to verify if what I hear is true and so that's why I post it here and mention what I heard.

Back