So I'm a 17 year old prepper...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have given a lot of thought to the prepper idea. And as far as guns go to protect me and more importantly feed the family I have decided I could get by on just three guns.

One a 22 caliber rifle. My prefered gun is the model 77/22 I have. It has a scope on it but it is the older model with factory open sights. And its unbeleivably accurate. Second would be a single shot shotgun. Most likely my H&R 20 guage. But I could also do fine with my H&R 410. I used to poopoo the 410 till I started shooting it. Its not a wing shooting gun but for small game it is very efficient with pellets. Plus I cast a .395 round ball and load three in a shell. Very impressive. And last would be a 30-30 lever action. I reload for it and have a large stock of componants and a bullet mould.

If I could add one more gun it would be an air rifle. A crosman/Benjimen 22 pump. I have killed more birds, squirrels and rats with one of those than any other gun.

I wouldn't have to have a handgun but if I did it would either be a Ruger single six 22/22 mag or a Ruger standard model with a 6" barrel.

And post #20 said it best. You don't need an item. You need knowledge. Or put another way, the more you know the less you need.

Air rifle is a great suggestion. Can get little critters and not draw attention to yourself.

When I was a pig hunter, I would kill pigs. Sometimes a pig with the pig I killed would squeal, or the pig I shot.

Natures version of a survivalist, the coyote, would learn that a gunshot would sometimes lead to a free meal. I'd often spot them watching from outside my reach waiting.

So if a coyote can equate gunshots to free meal of gut surprise, then another human can decipher a gunshot to mean someone with valuables.

Layaway

Start picking out some guns you would like and put them on lay a way and start paying them off so that you can pick them up when your of age
bb

A gun in .223 or .308 is preferable as the militaries around the world use both of these calibers and access to rounds may be more available. A quality air rifle is beneficial to help feed you (rabbits, squirrels, and birds can all be had). If you are a prepper, you need to stay off the grid as much as possible. Shots from a rifle, even one shot, can lead to others honing in on your position. A quality crossbow would also be a great addition, just be sure to buy extra bolts, and cut-on-contact heads that can be resharpened with a stone (Magnus Black Hornets are awesome and tough as hell). They can take down even the largest of game. My choice would be an Excalibur because of the simple mechanics of a recurve bow.(Buy extra strings). A flintlock rifle is also a great idea I had not thought of. Be sure to learn about how to do everything yourself for each of the weapons you chose to take with you. Also be sure to visit youtube's numerous survival videos (learn everything you can). Even making a proper fire to keep you warm is an art (no smoke). There are also survivalist forums and even groups on facebook. Prepping is about survival, not mounting an offensive, but you have to be completely self-sufficient.

A gun in .223 or .308 is preferable as the militaries around the world use both of these calibers and access to rounds may be more available.

I have heard this logic many times in the past. I don't agree with it at all. I don't for one second think you will be able to ask the police for ammunution or go up to a military fort and ask for ammo. They may say, "we have more soldiers than guns so we are going to take your rifle".

I want something the cops and military don't want. And you better have all the ammo you need now. Don't wait and think you can round it up later.

One could make the argument that utilizing a common caliber would allow you to scavenge ammo off of bodies of individuals affiliated with law enforcement or military after the shtf scenario occurs. In a serious situation such occurrences could happen and would be a viable way to resupply.

I say a bolt action in 7.62x39 (cough, cough, CZ 527), ideally suppressed, and or a single shot shotgun.

If they weren't so expensive, I'd even say a combination gun: .223 over perhaps 20g, .308 over 12g...

For me the onus is covering as many roles as possible with as few guns as possible and keeping those guns as mechanically simple as possible.

As much as it would be nice to have some super-semi, I think that the temptation , thanks to the entertainment industry, to think in terms of manic shoot-outs is strong but not so warranted.

Have enough to get food and deter aggression, whilst keeping a low profile would be the way to go IMHO.

Having said that, if it all went to hell, I'd be the one groaning under the combined weight of every gun and cartridge I own!!

No way I'm leaving those beauties behind! :D

OK, we don't do SHTF scenarios at TFL, and once we start discussing scavenging from corpses we've wandered way too far down that road. We have delicate sensibilities here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back