So I'm a 17 year old prepper...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of points to consider, first, about a handgun at age 18. Your state may allow you to buy one from a private party at 18. You can own one at 18. BUT, an FFL dealer cannot sell you "handgun" ammunition if you are under 21.

It's a "feature" our lawmakers gave us, to make us safer, I suppose, but it is the law.

Now, there are many "pistol caliber" rifles, and at 18 you can buy ammo for them, legally, BUT your average WalMArt clerk isn't going to know that, and often only knows what the store policies are.

Another thing to consider, is look into handloading.

Dev said:
... and do you guys also think the .223 .22lr is a good pair, seems like it would be to me, ...
Yes ... and no.

You already have a .22 rimfire rifle. Okay, it's a single shot, but you're looking at this from a prepper viewpoint, not a plinker viewpoint. For hunting small game, a single shot will take a squirrel or a rabbit just the same as a repeater. For your purposes, I don't think another .22 rimfire is a priority.

There's an axiom about handguns for self defense, that "The handgun is for fighting your way to your rifle." There is certainly a place in any prepper's bug-out-bag for a handgun, but IMHO your next purchase should be something that can perform double duty, serving effectively for both home defense and hunting mid-size game (at least deer size).

Forget the "evil black rifle" hype. An AR-15 is a semi-automatic, centerfire rifle that shoots a .22 caliber bullet (actually .223 or .224, but the truth is that a .22LR bullet is also .223 inches in diameter). So the .223/5.56x45 AR-15 round is really nothing more than a slightly heavier, pointier, faster .22 bullet. Many states (including my current state of residence) don't allow hunting deer with .223/5.56x45 because they don't consider it to be big enough or powerful enough to ensure clean kills on the game.

That said, a .223 will take deer. If you like the caliber, there's nothing wrong with using an AR-pattern rifle as your platform. On the other hand, if you really don't care for the evil blackness of the AR-15, you can get bolt action rifles in .223, and more traditional semi-autos -- the Ruger Mini 14 or Ranch Rifle are examples. A major advantage to the .223/5.56x45 is that ammo is available everywhere, and generally at reasonable prices.

If you want to jump up a bit in caliber, someone has already mentioned the SKS. The SKS takes the same 7.62x39 round as the AK-47, but the SKS is an older, more traditional looking design. It's a good, solid rifle, and a lot of deer have been taken by hunters with SKSes. It's a mil-surp, and can be found within your price range. Or you can look at commercial rifles firing the 7.62x39, such as the Ruger Mini 30 ... but now you're into a bunch more money.

For comparison purposes (rough), a standard 55-grain 5.56x45 has 1200 to 1300 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. The current military issue 62-grain version develops about the same energy, trading a bit of velocity and gaining a bit of down-range penetration.

The 7.62x39, in a typical commercial loading, develops around 1500 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. So you get a bullet that makes a bigger hole (.30 caliber compared to .22 caliber) and has more energy. 7.62x39 ammunition is also widely available.

If you don't like the shotgun idea, I think in your place I would lean toward something in 7.62x39.

I would choose a Henry lever action 22. I love the one I have and it is destined to be my grandson's as a reward for becoming an Eagle Scout. He is working hard because he really really wants it. I will replace it with a Golden Boy.

Taurus makes, just in your price range, a 357 lever action rifle.

Wait... what?

I expect one of your biggest challenges in prepping in the near future is keeping on hand an adequate supply of cartridges. A 357 lever action revolver leads into the future purchase of a .357 revolver. The 357 rifle hangs in the very low end of 30-30 terriotory and is plenty for taking deer sized game or home defense.

It also avoids some of the issues that may be associated with "an evil black rifle" should things go badly

So I have started to open up to the pump shotgun idea, I currently have a Remington 1100 my Dad bought me for a skeet gun (I dabble in competitive skeet and sporting clays), he bought it used, but currently I feel it would be a really bad "prepping" gun because my experience with it has been sub-par with it being prone to feeding issues and misfires with any kind of shell I put into it, so I've been looking at Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88 shotguns as an option, Maybe I should move to the shotgun thread but does anyone have experience with either of the shotguns? I'm thinking Mossberg because I have had issues with Remington shotguns in the past with my 1100 and a buddies 870. (Maybe I just got unlucky? again I am pretty new to the gun scene so please correct me if I am wrong I just am not very well educated in these fancy new toys you guys have. I have spent most of my time on 30's rifles :P)

I'd spend some money sending the 1100 to a gunsmith to see what it would cost to sort it out before I bought an additional pump 12 ga. If you pay attention to the exact problems you are having and post them in the shotgun forum I am certain there are some very knowledgeable people there who could give you some helpful ideas.

You should be able to sell a used 1100 for $3-500 depending on condition and such. More if it is something special. Add the $400 you are talking about spending to that and you are getting real close to a used Benelli M2.

I think with a little research you will find many heavy tactical/defensive shotgun users who have a choice are using semi-autos now. Many large organizations(police and military) stick with pumps b/c they are legacy guns, cheaper, or supposedly simpler for someone who doesn't have or want extensive firearms training. The inherent reduction in felt recoil due to the action cycling is quite a benefit IMO, especially if shooting slugs or buckshot.

I had an 11-87, which isn't too far off from an 1100. I was using it for trap and somewhat regularly sending 2-300 rounds of dirt cheap dirty sporting loads down the tube without cleaning. It really did not like that. Since that was pretty much its dedicated purpose, I sold it. Otherwise, it was a pretty decent gun.

as was said earlier, a $100 single shot h&r/nef shotgun, i prefer 20ga as these pieces dont absorb recoil well. they can be run fast and wont cause trouble as does your 1100. a heritage roughrider 22lr/wmr single action revolver for plinking and static defense. at some point a marlin or ruger 22lr rifle. save the rest of your money until you have other life priorities funded then you can consider centerfire long and hand-guns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh boy... prepper guns! My philosophy on prepping is like yours. In case of emergency, I don't want to be up a certain creek with unavailable propulsion...

I believe that every prepper needs to start with three basic firearms.
- A reliable Rifle in a popular caliber. .223, .22LR, 308. You've got one of these (cool story about the inheritance and refurbing it, love that) If you are dead set on another rifle, I would get a Savage Axis in 223.
- A reliable pump shotgun in 12 gauge. 12 ga is the most plentiful and widely available rounds. The versatility of the rounds is unmatched. And as far as dumping it in dirt and running it over... a good pump shotgun is going to rock and roll all day long. In your price range I'd go with a Mossberg 500.
- A reliable handgun. Personal preference would be for 9mm Luger purely for availability of ammo and reliability. Something like a Canik TP9 or a S&W SD9VE.

Thanks seraph for the compliments, I appreciate it. I am taking your words to heart, I am starting to look at pump shotguns and I like what I see, maybe i should move to the shotgun forum but anyone have any experience with the Maverick 88?

You're a prepper based on your post. So you want to think about "prepping".

Using that, you want something you can always have ammo for, even when there isn't any around.

Something along the lines of a 308 will be easier to find since the military (all nato military's) use it.

But even if its not available in the loaded form you can shoot it anyway. Learn to reload, and learn to cast and load 30 cal. bullets. Then in your prepping stock pile primers and powder. You will always be able to find lead.

I say 30 cal, because 30 cal cast bullets can be pushed to about 2000 fps, a 200 gr. 30 cal bullet at that velocity will kill anything in NA.

There are super accurate 308 rifles out there, at relatively moderate prices, less then you'd pay for a good military surplus rifle.

For example the Ruger American. They can be had new for < $400.

Another, option is a 45-70. Again cast bullets. but here is something few know. They talk about the Colt SSA or Model 73 Winchester being the gun that won the west. That's a myth. Single shot rifles won the west. Normally surplus 50-70s or 45-70. Westerners found they could load bullets for large game and shot for small game. I do that with my 45-70. Put a wad over the powder, put in the shot, another wad, and seal with wax and you have your shotgun.

If you can cast bullets, you can make your own shot.

Anyway, I'm not into SHTF, but prepping is fun, and the above is two examples of how you can play the Prepper Game and do a lot of cheap shooting.

I am starting to look at pump shotguns and I like what I see, maybe i should move to the shotgun forum but anyone have any experience with the Maverick 88?

I would say this forum is fine because you aren't limited to just shotgun questions :)

The Maverick 88 is a good reliable solid shotgun. It doesn't have all of the features, a few polymer parts that could be steel, etc... but for the money its hard to beat! On your budget you could get a shotgun and a few cases of ammo to practice with! Shotguns are good candidates for used-law enforcement stock too, can get great deals.

The Maverick 20 gauge has a smooth action. My personal preference is a smooth bore slug barrel with rifle sights. This allows accuracy with both slugs and and buckshot/birdshot. It's not a clay shooting or bird hunting setup but for utilitarian/self defense/ survival I think it's acceptable

Lots of good suggestions so far. I'd just be careful about purchasing something chambered for a pistol caliber. Some sellers might not want to play ball.

Considering finances as well, make sure you keep the cost of ammo in mind building a stockpile of ammo you can't afford or can't find is an effort in futility. 762x39, 12g, .22, 9mm and to a lesser extent .223 are all pretty cheap. I might consider an sks if I were in your shoes.

Last edited:
"...since the military (all nato military's) use it..." Only in MG's, now. However, something(that doesn't have to be a semi-auto, battle rifle, Dev can't afford anyway.) in .223 would be better. Mind you, in the event of a catastrophic societal collapse(or zombies becoming a reality. snicker.), military installations will be cleaned out or totally secured, post haste, by the military, anyway.
A great deal depends on what you think you're "prepping" for. Having potable water is a whole lot more important than anything else. A shotgun, that doesn't have to be 12 gauge or a pump, will be far more useful than any battle rifle. Or a handgun you cannot legally buy until you're 18 anyway. That and if you ever get into a situation where you have to defend yourself with just a handgun, you have made a serious tactical error.
One thing though, you're Savage M3 hasn't been made since at least 1952. Even though most of the parts were used in other models, they're scarce. Gunparts, for example, is sold out of most parts for 'em.
$200-$400 won't buy much, but buying 'used' is not a bad thing. Takes a lot of abuse to damage a modern firearm. Expands your options.
Think 20 ga. pump or bolt action, mag fed, .22. BNIB with either will eat your entire budget though. A Marlin .22 bolt action starts at about $200(Cabela's). A Mossberg M500 runs $400. Look for sales and go to gun shows.

Glad to see you are considering a 12 gauge pump action shotgun. I am a Mossberg Armorer and the 500 is the model my police force uses so I am very familiar with them. They are not as smooth as the Remington 870 but are still very good. The ones we have have the 18 inch barrel with bead sights and synthetic stocks. The only major differences between the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 is the 870 is polished more internally, and the receiver of the 870 is steel and the 500 is aluminum. The aluminum receiver is rust resistant. Both have steel barrels so they will be effected by the weather. The 500 is less expensive than the 870 so you will have more funds for ammo. Also when I mention the 870 I am referring to the Wingmaster not the Express. The Express is not nearly as polished inside as the Wingmaster and closely competes with the Mossberg. Which do I prefer? On the job I must use the issued Mossberg 500 but my home defense shotgun is a 20 inch barrel with rifle sights Remington 870 Wingmaster. In fact I will be qualifying with one of our 500s on Wednesday.

I would have to say build a mil-spec AR-15. You can build one yourself without all the bells and whistles for roughly $550. It will work, and that is all you need. If you get some parts used from someone at the range or something, you could get down to $400 probably.

IF you are looking for a firearm that you can "always obtain" ammo for, there is one that has not been mentioned yet. Its not tacticool, is not high capacity, its not even legally a firearm in some circumstances, but it does work, and has worked for centuries.

The flintlock.

You do need a little prep work learning how to, but once you know, it is possible to keep a flintlock shooting with completely home made ammo.

Flints? you can find, laying on/in the ground, or you can buy enough to last your lifetime if you wish.

bullets? cast pure lead. Again, a little prep work, (mold, etc) and lead (very common) and a fire, and you are good to go

Black powder CAN be made by anyone who didn't fail high school chemistry. There ARE risks, so do it outside the home!!

A few spare springs (or an entire replacement lock) and you have a gun that will shoot longer than you will likely live.

No, its not much good driving off the mutant ninja zombie bikers or squads of enemy troops in these days, but it can kill animals to feed you and yours, and can also be fun.

Also, most places allow it to be shipped mail order, legally, along with other "modern firearms" restrictions not applying.

Check you local laws carefully, they may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back