Smith and Wesson serial number search

sakeneko: The 60-10 is the .357 magnum target variant of the model 60, introduced in 1996 and replaced by the 60-15 in 2001. Your serial number falls between October 2000 (CEFxxxx) & July 2001 (CEVxxxx)

Model 625-9, 4".

Serial Number DBU33XX.
Do you have the box?

The big white box end label is applied right when the box is sealed for shipment, and it has a 4-digit code after the serial number. This is a date code; the first number is the last digit of the year, and the next 3 numbers represent the day of the year numbered consecutively. :)

FWIW my 638 has a DBD prefix and was made in early August of '08.

Thanks, Radagast! That's consistent with what the dealer who sold it to me said, and he's highly rated. But he wasn't as specific, and I'm a technical and science writer by profession who likes her facts. ;-)

I have two that I've been curious about. You'd really make my day if you could give me an idea of their DoB.

5906 - TFS 70XX
66-3 - BCA 71XX

Thank you!

I just purchased my first revolver on Saturday, a S&W 686 4" in steel. The serial number is AZL 4XXX, I have read all 50+ pages of this thread but am only able to guess it DOB is between 88-89.

I'm basing that on other posts with the "A" serial number but have no idea. Can anybody confirm or deny my guesstimate?

Question

I aquired this S+W revolver years ago in a trade. The 4" barrel is marked (Offical Police .38 Special CTG). The serial # is 868XXX with an IL below the #. The arm support on the cylinder is marked with the same # without the letters. I removed the wooden grips and there are no numbers on the frame. The grips have a #43 written on the inside of both? The DA is smooth and the bore is pristine. There is holster wear on the end of the barrel. I have put probaly 100 rounds thru this over the years. It is a good shooter. I have no idea of the model # or its age. It seems to have been more carried then fired? I keep this as my home defence weapon. Any info would be appreciated. Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
I aquired this S+W revolver years ago in a trade. The 4" barrel is marked (Offical Police .38 Special CTG).
Your revolver is a Colt Official Police, it's not a S&W product. I suggest reposting your request in the main section of the "Revolver" subforum.

Trying to help a friend.
He just inherited and older S&W in 38SPL., 4" barrel, blue.
No model number yet, he says he thinks it doesn't have one.
He does however, have a serial number: 5D242**

Any help with this one?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

serial number history for smith and wesson mod 66

I am trying to find out information on a smith and wesson model 66 with a serial number 4K56448. It is presently being offered to me for sale. if there is a better place to post my request, please advise.thank you for any help.

by vapored:I am trying to find out information on a smith and wesson model 66 with a serial number 4K56448. It is presently being offered to me for sale. if there is a better place to post my request, please advise.thank you for any help.

Year 1974

s & w 66

thank you bboomer for the fast reply. any thoughts on this gun. also will probably get his s & W 40 cal. model #4006. don't know the year on that one either. thanks for the help.

Back