Smith and Wesson serial number search

S&W Victory 675xx Chrome?

Today I traded for an older chrome of nickel? S&W 38 Victory V675XX with 4" Barrel Marked Smith & Wesson on one side of the Barrel and marked 38 S & W Spicial CTG on the other side of the Barrel. It does not have a S&W circle stamp in front of handle but it does say MADE IN USA on the right side just under the Barrel.
The Finish appears to be Chrome or Nickel. It is very shiny. Finish is not perfect but pretty good. A really nice peice. It has Bone handles that look like stag... random grooves with brown color in the grooves. The bone has turned yellow with age. It has the original sights as far as I can determine. The lanyard ring is still on it as well. I think it was made in the early 40's. not sure if I made a good trade? I traded an old boat that I was asking $350 for but would have taken a little less... My questions are? What round does it shoot and how much is it worth?

many great answers are on this thread and I was hoping someone could help?

Thanks!
I can send pics to someone if you want to see it?

Request help with date of 38 spl

this model 36 S&W has serial beginning with 2099xx. I would like to know what year it was born. hope you guys can help...?

Prodigalmike:

Your gun was manufactured sometime between 1942 (serial no.V1) & September 1944 (serial no.769000).

The nickel finish was not standard on these guns, and there should be a S&W logo stamped on the side plate, so I would say your gun has been polished and refinished. Most of the refinished guns are nickeled, but chrome is also a possibility.

Caliber is .38 Special, also known as .38 S&W Special.

Value is not high as it is a refinished gun, and has no collectors value. If it shoots well then you have a gun you want vs a boat you didn't want, so that seems like a deal to me.

Don't know if this one is 2008 or 2009...

Model 625-9, 4".

Serial Number DBU33XX.

Thanks in advance.

SmithWessonModel625-9RT.jpg

S&W 686

I have a S&W 686. Serial # AAF6XXX

Any info would be appreciated. This bought this gun used and wasn't sure of the age/history. I also wanted to know if an older model 686 is capable of shooting the .38 S&W Special +P calibers?

Last edited:
Allsop: AAF6xxx dates it to around October 1982, the Standard Catalog of S&W records AAF9000 in that month. There is a recall for all 686 & 686-1 guns, some of them experienced primer flow back around the firing pin, locking up the gun. Recalled guns were fitted with a new firing pin and firing pin bushing to prevent this. If there is no M stamped after 'model 686' under the crane, then the gun is still subject to recall. S&W will pay shipping both ways. The 686 series is fine to use with .38 Long Colt, .38 S&W Special, .38 S&W Special PlusP & .357 magnum loads. the only rounds that should not be used are reloads designated for Ruger Only.

Pendennis: The standard Catalog of S&W lists the 625-9 was introduced in 2001. The SCSW only goes up to 2004 with the serial number ranges, cutting off at CTAxxxx in October 2004, so the best I can give you is your gun was manufactured in the last 5 years.

S&W 14-3 (I think), serial number 1K27XX6, "NRA very good..... I think".

manuf. year?

guesstimate at value?

Sincerely,
Tommy

edit to add:
P.S. The 'post counter" shows me as this being my first post here. I didn't realize that, as I've read here for a while.

Thanks

Thanks Radagast. I didn't know about the recall so that info is helpful. I checked and there was no "M" stamped after the 686 although there wasn't really any room to stamp anything after it. It basically had my serial number and below the serial number was "MOD. 686". I'm assuming the MOD is for model and not Modified. I'll check with S&W about the recall.

I have just aquired a nickel 19-4 Smith , the ser number is 82K86XX. Would anyone be so kind as to help me date theis gun?

Thanks,

looking for info

My grandfather recently passed away, and in the cleanup of his items, we found an older S&W revolver, that none of us even knew he owned. I have no idea how long he has owned it for, so I am trying to get an idea of the age and model of the gun.

It states on the top of the barrel,
Smith & Wesson Springfield Massachusetts USA
Patented Feb 6, 06, Sept 14 09, and Dec 29 14

On the sides of the barrel:
Smith and Wesson
and
32 Long CTG

On the inside of the cylinder housing is a stamped number of 55734 which I think is a part number of the cylinder housing.

The serial number is 330XXX stamped on the bottom of the handle, and on the cylinder itself.

It is both SA and DA, and fires quite accurately, as I cleaned it up(probably hadnt been cleaned in 40 years), and took it out to the range and put a half a box of standard S&W 32 Long through it.

if anyone could tell me the model and approximate age it would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks all

I am going to upload a pic in case that helps.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/jay799/IMG_0410.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg

Last edited:
M1Tommy: 1970, probable value is around $400 to $450 in excellent condition.

bobbman: 1980.

jay799: You have a .32 Hand Ejector Third Model (Pre-model 30) manufactured between 1917 & 1942 in the serial number range 263001 to 536684. Heat treatment of cylinders began at serial number 321000 in 1920, so I would guess your gun is from the early 1920s.

The Standard Catalog of S&W gave a value of $385.00 in excellent condition in 2006.

s&w 41 nickel finish

hey guys new to the sight but looking for info. I have several model 41s the newest one has a nickel finish. it looks factory by the job but the blue book shows that the 41 only came blued? does anybody know of any nickel finished 41s

Radagast (Tolkein ref.?), I appreciate the info. I didn't realize it was that old. I don't need the revolver, but a fellow is offering it and an SKS in swap for an old john boat/motor/trailer. I'd rather it be .357 but I sure admire the workmanship in older revolvers.

Sincerely,
Tommy

Back