Smith and Wesson serial number search

Looking for manufacturer date

Hi, I recently inherited a S and W 38 special from my grandfather. The serial # is S 9343xx. Any idea of the date manufactured? Thanks Ron

The serial # is S 9343xx.
It's a .38 Military & Police. Serial numbers ran from S811120 in 1945 to S999999 in 1948.
When S&W began the model numbering system ~ 1957 the 38 M&P became the model 10.

Jim

69dff2a632fea8b19a57477bd620652a.jpg

BAA14_ _.

Main forum said it was 1988.

Request for date of manuf

Hello all - my wife has a S&W, mod 60, 5 shot revolver (SS?) with serial number located on butt stock of AVW31XX

Can anyone provide a year of mauf?

Thank you for any help,

Ken H>

A 5-digit numeric only isn't a valid SN for a 586 as far as I know. Check the bottom of the grip and likely find three alpha characters and four numbers.

According to the 2nd Edition of the SCSW, that was just before October 1982.

For -ALL- no-dash 686 revolvers, check to see that it has the bold "M" stamp on the frame under the yoke ensuring that it has been updated due to the recall. The problem was not a "big" deal and S&W still honors it for free if you do not have the "M" stamp.

686 no dash

Thank you Sevens! Im new to revolvers, so new infact, that I had to google what the Yolk was. I do have the M stamp. Is there anything else I need to look out for? It a Kentucky State police edition if that means anything ....with the help of youtube Took it completely down and the internals were full of grime and rust. I polished most of it away and now Im about to polish the outside of the frame. I think the stainless will take to it well. Im taking it slowly making sure not to remove any metal . Here are a couple of pictures, in 15 min I got a pretty good result on one side of the barrel , Ill update more when its complete.
IMG_4188_zpsggmjctzw.jpg

IMG_4180_zpsdawgwths.jpg.html

Last edited:
Smith & Wesson's original brushed stainless is what I love, I personally think it is sacrilegious to polish the outside of that revolver. If you ever tire of it and elect to sell it, you will find that buyers agree with me. ;)

With that out of the way, I will ALWAYS vehemently defend anyone's right to make their gun "their own" and if you like it that way, more power to you. No matter either way, it is bound to be a phenomenal shooter and you picked one of the all-time best for your first revolver.

Back