Smith and Wesson serial number search

pre model 27

hey guys i just picked up a real beauty and was wondering if anyone could help me find out the value of it

smith & wesson .357 magnum pre model 27 w/3.5 inch barrel
serial #124xxx according to s&w customer service it is from late 1954
appears to be in almost new condition the blueing is perfect and has not been refinished. the bore is also in great shape it looks like it has never been fired.
it has the original numbered grips on it with no wear.
i do not have the box or the papers on it.
any help finding a value would be greatly appreviated.
thank you.

I have a model 41
A596xxx
1979 or 1980 says the big book.
smith & wesson .357 magnum pre model 27 w/3.5 inch barrel
serial #124xxx according to s&w customer service it is from late 1954
any help finding a value would be greatly appreviated.
You should open a thread in the revolver area of the site with a brand new topic. Expect to be told many times over that you need to include pictures.

Sounds like a very nice revolver.

32 caliber smith and wesson

I need help identifying this gun. It appreciate it. The number says 286I45. The top has an engraving that says empire states arms co. The side engraving says for 32 smith and Wesson cartridges .

The number says 286I45. The top has an engraving that says empire states arms co. The side engraving says for 32 smith and Wesson cartridges .
You have a gun made by Empire State Arms Co. (you can google them) chambered for the .32 S&W cartridge.

Since it doesn't have a lock, I was curious whether it is pre-lock or post-lock
The only "post lock" production models I am aware of are the 442-1 and 642-1.

Jim

I-Frame Terrier 38S&W

I just picked up an old Smith Wesson Terrier in 38S&W. It's a Five Screw model pre-32. Serial number is 662**. What does the big book say about the year it was manufactured?

These older ones are tough for me, so I hope I don't screw it up! :p

It says SN 54474 to 122678 is the postwar serial range for these and production ran from 1948 to 1974. The "improved" I-frame arrived in 1953 and the upper sideplate screw was eliminated in 1955.

Yours being a 5-screw, I suppose that means that your gun was born between 1948 and 1955.

SW Serial number

I'm trying to find a DOB on a Smith and Wesson 38 Special K177551. Anyone got an idea. Have surfed the net can't find it. Very little on Smith and Wesson.

With that serial number, my book suggests it's a 1953 production revolver. Smith & Wesson didn't use model numbers until 1957 and the book suggests it may be a pre-Model 14 or pre-Model 15.

Does it have adjustable sights?

Serial # DOB request

Could someone please tell me the DOB on these 2 S&W revolvers?

1. Model 60 .38 special serial #ANS84**
2. Model 19-4 .357 Mag serial #E1931**

Thank you.

Looked at another one today.

5 screw K-frame, 5" barrel, six shots, fixed sights,, 38 special, mushroom ejector rod tip, smooth no medallion (probably refinished) service grips. Smith & Wesson on the left side of the barrel, and I THINK patent dates on right side and top of barrel. No marks at all on the frame, either side, except for serial number on butt. No 275xxx (no prefix)

Any ideas? I'm thinking 1905, 4th change, but I'm no expert, expecially on these older ones.

Last edited:
Well, don't know for sure, Under the news system, Pre-fix AHC was used in 1986, Pre-fix ASR in 2004. ANS falls between those two numbers . On the Model 19-4, small problem, I can not find any E Pre-fix's used by S&W , Thinking perhaps you had a miss stroke on the key board and meant a pre-fix of K, That number dates to 1953 and the Model 19 came into being in 1955 and engineering change 4 was added in 1977, which would date your Model 19-4 between 1977 and the next change ( -5 ) in 1982. Best I can do, perhaps I'm over looking something

You are correct again. The 4th Change guns, of which they made by FAR FAR FAR the most, began in 1915 at the 241704 serial number and ran to 700000 in 1942.
(Appendix also says 1940-1945 saw 700000-1000000 serial numbers.)

Of course, we cannot nail down a year for the 4th Change guns specifically by serial number with the appendix in the SCSW, as we can for so many other guns.

What we have been doing is to get ballpark date figures simply by the information we gather from scattered Roy Jinks factory letters on these revolvers. I happen to have two 4th Change guns myself and I have a Jinks letter on one of those revolvers. My 357xxx was shipped by Smith & Wesson in the spring of 1921. I bought another about a year ago with a 272xxx serial number that I have pretty much figured was built in 1917, by comparing it with a factory lettered 290xxx that was built in June, 1918.

For $50 and a month or two wait, Roy Jinks can tell you the date it was shipped, all the features it was sent with and where it was shipped. It's pretty neat! But without that letter, we can only do a little math and a little guessing. I think we might agree that the one you're looking at with a 275xxx is going to be from 1917. :)

As a side note...
I would love to put together a simple database with dates/SN's for these revolvers. Probably many scattered amongst the posts here on TFL, probably a handful scattered amidst this monster sized thread. I'd imagine there are MANY on the Smith & Wesson discussion forum and you can simply click click click click click endlessly on Gunbroker (or, well, anywhere offering guns for sale) if the particular gun for sale also shows a factory letter where you can get the date and SN.

It'd be a lot of leg work, but it would be a neat little database to have.

I like collections. In this case, it would simply be a collection of... information. :cool:

Like Rjay said...

a. no E's in model 19's serial numbers....19-4 is between 1977 and 1982...

b. same issue on the ANS on the model 60....??....what is the dash number on the model 60 ?

Model 60 .38 special serial #ANS84**
1986/87.
Take the serial number from the model 19 from the underside of the grip frame. You may need to remove the grips to see it. It should start with a "K".
See post #6505 of this thread to see a pic I posted earlier.

Jim

Back