2.) S&W M&P 1905 3rd Change, S/N 1955XX
Based on date, would the finish of this piece fall
into the category of Charcoal Blue, or Carbonia? NOTE: it DOES show signs
of refinishing.

Thank you, VERY much!

- Ivan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

I stumbled upon this nice forum while starting to search for history on the below weapon. I wonder if you knowledgable folks might share some insights on it.

S&W .38 CTG - No prefix serial # 784xxx
It has the checkered grips with the diamond around the screw, the silver logo circle, square butt with lanyard ring, and half-moon front sight. It has the lock at the front of the ejector rod and It appears to only have four screws on the frame. If the finish was ever blued, it’s all gone now, just black and could use TLC. I believe this revolver saw use during the war because the holster is beat up and it looks like the butt has been used as a hammer at least once.

This was my Grandfather’s and was either issued or acquired before or during WWII in England.
I also have the original canvas Royal Tank Regiment (I think) style holster with the six diagonal cartridge slots.

My father is asking if I would like to inherit this and I am wondering if this is worth getting a gunsmith to check it over and get it back to shooting condition, if it needs anything more than a cleaning, or if this is just a collectible model. Can you even get non-special .38 shells anymore?

Thanks much

1.) S&W Model 36, S/N J8870XX
2.) S&W M&P 1905 3rd Change, S/N 1955XX
J8870XX = 1981.
On the 3rd change M&P, serial numbers ran from 146900 in 1909 to 241703 in 1915.
You're M&P is scarce target version which doubles it's value.
I do not know what bluing process S&W used.

S&W .38 CTG - No prefix serial # 784xxx
Serial number dates it to ~1940.
38 S&W ammo is still available.
I would not refinish it but I would get it checked out to make sure it's safe to shoot.

Jim

Good Morning

I have inherited a 38 S&W Special with the serial # 2926xx and would like to know how old it is. It was my grandfather's

Thank You
Chris

I recently inherited a S&W .32 Long ctg 6 shot revolver and would like to find out a little more about it. It is stainless with a pearl handle, S/N 2457** Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Older S&W revolvers

Recently inherited from my parents 2 older S&W revolvers, (1)was pasted down to my mother, she said they always called it a "Baby Russian" serial begins with 605xx, 5 shot top breach (2) they say is a "pre model 10", my fathers, nickel with mother of pearl handles, 6 shot, left hand clyinder lock, 5" barrel, serial begins 458xxx, barrel has 38 S&W SPECIAL CTG. Can anyone help me with mfg dates and model #'s and also what type of ammo the Baby Russian would use if it pre 1900's as some have suggested. Any help would be appreciated:confused:

S/N: BFS-5xxx
1990/91.
S&W starting phasing in a 3 letter 4 number serial number system in 1980.
On some special runs S&W would use a specific 3 letter prefix such as
"TEN" on the first run of model 1006 10mm pistols.

Jim

1990/91.
S&W starting phasing in a 3 letter 4 number serial number system in 1980.
On some special runs S&W would use a specific 3 letter prefix such as
"TEN" on the first run of model 1006 10mm pistols.

Jim

THANKS! Anything at all significant about the BFS prefix? Other than "Big Friggin Shooter" !!!

Thank You.

a buddy is selling one of his revolvers - it's 6" and in really nice condition - it's a 28-2 w/ sn - S288XXX - i'm interested but if it's worth more than i can afford i'd prefer he go and find the right home for it -- when was it made & what's it worth?
thanks for the help

Inherited 38 special ctg

Hi! I recently inherited my fathers S&W 38 special ctg, serial # C 214xxx. I'd like to get any info on this gun that may be out there. I would also like to know what kind of ammo I should get for target practice. It appears alot of gun stores can't keep ammo in stock, so any suggestions for an online purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your help. He was in law enforcement his entire life, and I'm thrilled to have one of his guns.

it's a 28-2 w/ sn - S288XXX
Hard to set a price with the current market but, assuming little to no wear, $600 range.
The "S" prefix serial numbers usually get a slight premium over the "N" prefix numbers because they're older.

serial # C 214xxx
It's a .38 Military & Police. When S&W began assigning model numbers around 1957 it became the model 10.
It's chambered for the 38 special cartridge and can also safely shoot 38 special +P.
Right now ammo is in short supply everywhere, even online.

Jim

Last edited:
Back