Smith and Wesson serial number search

I have an old Smith & Wesson 38 spl. that I would like some info on. I got this gun

Thanks Jim, Do you think the gun was modified or broken?

Could anyone help date my S&W Pre-Model 10? It's been passed down from my grandfather to my father and then to me, but dad doesn't remember when my grandfather bought it.

Nickel-plated S&W Pre-Model 10 .38 Special with the half-moon front sight and 4" barrel:

Top of barrel says "Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass U.S.A. Patented Feb.6.06. Sept.14.09 Dec.29.14". Right-side of barrel says "38 S. & W. Special CTG"

The butt serial number is 4726XX. The same number is on the barrel face, along with the letters "P", "V" and "S" around the barrel face. The same serial number is under the barrel, with the letter "V" about 1/2" in front of the serial number, and "P" about 1/2" after the serial number.

The crane has the number 14747 and the letter "S".

Anything you could tell me about it would be much appreciated.
Thanks a million,
Scott

Last edited:
I've had a few brews so take this for what it's worth to you who ask.

Try googling you model. You'll get pages of info and a whole new world will be opened.

Interesting info, I did a search but was unable to find any info
I have a S&W 638 serial number CDT6XXX
what, if anything does CDT stand for?
Thanks!

I have a S&W 638 serial number CDT6XXX
what, if anything does CDT stand for?
CDT6XXX = between Nov 1999 and Jan. 2000.
S&W currently uses a alpha, numeric serial number system which they started transitioning in at AAA0000 in 1980.

Jim

Very old S&W .38 question

Hello,

I have an old S&W .38 Ser. Num. 658xxx
and as best I can read it...
38(G or 6) &W Special CTG.

My father says my grandfather had it when he was a boy in the 1940's.

Can anyone tell me it's DOB, anything interesting about it, and its approximate value?

Thank you very much,
NutsWoC

I have an old S&W .38 Ser. Num. 658xxx
and as best I can read it...
38(G or 6) &W Special CTG.

You have a .38 Military and Police Model of 1905 - 4th Change, also sometimes called the .38 Hand Ejector M&P, or just the .38 M&P. It was made between 1915 (SN 241704) and 1942 (SN 700000), but obviously your SN places it more toward the end of the range, so likely late 30s, early 40s.

This gun was one of the earliest models built on the mid-size or "K" frame, which came to be the workhorse of the S&W line for police work or personal defense. With some modifications, it eventually became the Model 10, the basic .38 Special 6-shot fixed-sight revolver.

S&W made a lot of these, so prices aren't high except for perfect specimens. In good condition, somewhere around $300 or so - excellent condition, maybe double that.

Oh, that character you can't quite make out on the barrel should be an "S" (as in "S&W"), and the CTG just simply stands for "cartridge."

Model 36
Serial = 674xxx

Any ideas on age? Can it shoot +P?
Serial numbers ran from 295000 in 1962 to 786544 in 1969.
Though not rated for +P, it's all steel so a limited amount of it is fine.

Jim

a little help

sorry to get off the topic but i got some good help here. I just picked up from a friend in need, a high standard, sport king special, rifle,pretty sure it's a model 103.in really great shape, i bought the gun for 40 bucks,it needs a small but vital part.the firing pin.does any one know a good source to get one.I tried so many places all ready.I would like to fix it and give it back to my friend.thank you in advance for your help. Paul

Could anyone tell me the year of manufacture for a S&W .38 serial number 867XXX
Need a little more info. 5 shot or 6? Is caliber 38 S&W or 38 S&W SPL. (special)? Are there any letter prefixes with that serial number?

high standard, sport king special, rifle,pretty sure it's a model 103.in really great shape, i bought the gun for 40 bucks,it needs a small but vital part.the firing pin.does any one know a good source to get one.
Start here:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/model_new.asp?CatID=247

Jim

Back