Smith and Wesson internal lock

Believe me, the argument about the "lock" went well beyond any reasonable discussion. Some refugees from loony bins wrote about hiding "across the street" from the S&W factory and shooting employees as they left, planting explosives in trucks going into the factory, poisoning the water supply, etc., etc. Those folks were not unhappy about a product, they were insane, and such reports were not limited to S&W but touched other gun makers as well. Some were clearly "inspired" by nut-case rants in anti-gun magazines and newspapers, and often government officials contributed to the general air of (mostly) left wing revolt and the advocacy of murder.

That kind of thing has been relatively quiet lately, but I have no doubt the "nuts" are still out there, waiting for a chance to take over the country.

Jim

I have several with the lock and twice as many without the lock. They all shoot very well. When the lock first came out I removed it from revolvers I bought and tapped it to the inside of the lid of the box they came in in case a future circumstance requires re-installation. On my model 22-4 I left the lock alone and after a few thousand rounds and 8 years of shooting it has never locked itself or caused a problem.

I carry a 642 that came with the lock sometimes. That gun is a light aluminium frame gun and I have shot 38+p in it which recoils quite a bit. The 642 never locked itself during many practice sessions, BUT I decided to remove the lock because you cannot see the flag. On the 642 it is completely internal.
There is only 1 malfunction I ever saw with the lock on a gun I own or any S&W outside the internet.
I have a 629 mountain gun I bought used and when you turned the key to the unlock position the flag remained partway up, you had to push it down with your finger. I removed the lock from that gun and it is tapped to the lid of the box inside.

My 22-4 and my 627 PC are two of the best shooting best trigger pull firearms that I own. There is nothing wrong with the new Smiths they are very good guns, and the lock is a non-issue at this point to me.

The S&W lock is not going away. Its here to stay. No one wants the lock but S&W knows they now make the best line of production revolvers and folks will buy them and live with the lock, or simply ignore the lock. No one seems to be able to compete. Not Colt. Not Ruger. Not Taurus. Not Korth. No manufacturer out there has the ability to make a better revolver for a lower price in as many variations as what S&W can.

If S&W encounters any real competition, they may reluctantly re-think things.

Ignore the lock, be grateful for MIM parts!

I have owned, bought, sold, traded and shot more S&W revolvers since the late 70's than I can recall. A few points to remember; ALL gun manufacturers have had quality control issues on occasion throughout history, not only S&W, but Colt, Ruger, Kimber, etc. Remember, years ago, prior to the internet, the issues just were not widely known. It happens. I despise the damn lock too, but truth be told, in my opinion, the modern Smith and Wessons are just as well built, if not better than the older models. MIM parts have their advantages; primarily cost and durability. And replacement parts (if ever needed), don't require as much effort to make them fit and function properly. The modern Smith's are more accurate and you can shoot the heck out of them without worry. Ever hear about the old 29's and 29-2's "skipping", the cylinder reversing itself under recoil so the next shot hits the empty, previously fired case? It isTrue, I had it happen one day years ago, several times... on the range with a buddy's old 50's model 29. SW fixed that issue with modifications to later models. Over time, reputable companys like SW try to IMPROVE their quality, as well as cut costs if they want to ensure profit margins for shareholders , improve customer satisfaction and secure long term market growth. The despicable internal locks (which I agree are ugly and a reminder of a changing society), despite a few incidents primarily involving hot loads and scandium framed guns, have proved to be a non issue for hundreds of thousands of shooters. I have several newer SW revolvers with the locks, and hot loads haven't caused any issues, and I trust them enough to carry concealed when I'm off duty (yes, a few of us LEO's still carry wheelguns when not restricted by Department policy). The bluing is excellent, "almost" as nice as on the vintage Smiths (this one point in the "Vintage VS. Modern S&W" argument I will concede, as those older SW's have a blue finish that is superb). However, Don't think that these new SW are not lookers, as they are VERY pretty, both fit and finish on metal and wood. Definite pride of owneship if one can overlook the minor cosmetic changes and appreciate the modern enhancements! The new SW revolvers are stronger and much more durable and have a full warranty with a superb service Dept. if an issue should arise. Don't even turn the locks if they bother you, just do what I do and forget about them and enjoy owning and shooting THE best made revolvers in the history of mankind. I have a hunch if my idols were still around (Keith, Jordan, Cooper and Skeeter), they would agree the lock was ugly and unnecessary, but they would praise the improvements, accuracy and quality of these modern weapons. Go ahead and buy that new SW and buy it with confidence.

Last edited:
I don't like the lock due to it being another possible part to fail, but I don't have a problem with them otherwise. Sure pre-lock revolvers seem to shoot a little smoother for me than a new one with a lock, but all of the pre-lock models I have fired have also been fired thousands of times smoothing the action. I don't know how much of the difference is that well used action and how much is the lack of a lock.

Sureshot, your well-said comments regarding current production S&W's hit a cord. Plus one, Sir, and thank you for your continued service...Rod

I despise the damn lock too,

What kind of company has such dis-respect for the customers to continue to built this lock. I tell you, if everybody stopped thinking about their immediate needs and pleasures and did a boycott this would be gone over night. Just keep buying S&W, keep complaining and nothing will change.

Thank you Rofac. Just my two cents worth. I understand the other perspective as well, because when the entire internal lock fiasco first started years ago, I was pretty upset myself, enraged to be honest. Fast foward to now... I just see things differently. Kind of like meeting up with an ex GF, years after a bad break up... and falling in love all over again. :D

Smith & Wesson should contact the Trump administration and request that the "agreement" with the Clinton administration be rescinded.

Smith & Wesson should contact the Trump administration and request that the "agreement" with the Clinton administration be rescinded.

Why?? There's nothing to "rescind". There was NEVER any legal "deal", contract, law, or executive action. The only gunmaker to comply with the Clinton wish list (that they called a deal) was S&W, and the only reason S&W did was because the British holding company that owned S&W ordered them to.

The Clinton wish list included locks, loaded chamber indicators (where physically possible) a second hidden serial #, and other things, including changes in retail sales practices, such as not allowing children (under 18) into stores (or areas of stores) where handguns were sold, and some other things.

In return, they promised immunity from the lawsuits being filed by big city mayors, suing gun makers for the violence their products "caused" in those cities, and they promised preferential treatment in future US weapons purchase contracts. (The Clintons did NOT have the legal authority to do either of those things, but that didn't stop them from promising them)

When only ONE gunmaker agreed to the deal, it more than kind of fizzled. S&W was held to have "sold out" and the backlash was the boycott. S&W stock tanked, and the British company sold S&W FOR A LOSS!!!

The Clinton deal was never any kind of legal anything, and other than the bad taste it left in our mouths, it went away when the Clintons did.

Im glad to see Colt back in the revolver business. If the Cobra takes off I hope Colt comes out with more revolver models. Competition is good. :)

I hope Colt beats the current company calling itself s&w like a drum. Should that happen, they will drop that lock like its hot.

I can recall the chant of "the lock is here to stay!" When LE agencies across the country put the IL J-frames on the prohibited list for back up and off duty carry. As my agency did after two locked up during quals.

Suddenly lock free J-frames became available. Imagine that. ;)

But with the Kimber K6, 3 inch Ruger GP100 and Colt Cobra available and a safe chock full of nice pre lock S&Ws, I could care less what s&w makes or does. I have other options. Regards 18DAI

Here is a link to the agreement, it went null and void when George Bush took office in 2001.

https://clinton4.nara.gov/WH/New/html/20000317_2.html

Read it and you will see what I mean. Most of the terms never came to pass.
S&W could remove the lock at any time from their entire line. The only fallout is that they would have to get them all re-tested and approved for California sales if the model had the lock and dropped it.

The internal lock S&W uses only makes sense if it increases their bottom line, assuming there is no legal obligation to use them. Does the internal lock enhance sales or does it detract from them?

As far as I'm concerned any gun maker that bows to a government request, outside of a government contract, is not worth my money. This isn't the first time that S&W caved without a fight and it's not likely to be their last.

If the "agreement" became null and void when Geroge Bush became president, then why does Smith & Wesson still insist on the internal lock? It has to be hurting their sales.

Smith and Wesson sells guns on their reputation and their revolver trigger pull. They have some decent guns but they also have a couple of real losers.

I've owned through decades a lot of Smith & Wesson revolvers in .38, .357, .44 Special, 41. Magnum, 44 Magnum from J frames to N frames.

And today's Smith's are as good or better than those from 40 years ago and I now own several older .38s and current manufacture 686s and a 627.

And I don't even notice the internal lock which has never frozen up a trigger.

I also still shoot a lot and mostly the newest models.

The complaints against the internal lock are.....aw, shucks if I said what I'm
thinking....... :eek:

Back