Small calibers.

For a secondary or tertiary gun, I think a .25 is decent.

As a "gidoffame" gun, 7-9 shots of .25 ACP in the face or neck should make someone think twice.

I'm going to be purchasing a Precision Small Arms PSA-25 in standard blue just for that purpose to keep in an ankle holster.

This pistol performs very nicely,,,

Taurus 25PLY,,,

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/59322_1.jpg

I own one and love it.

It's what I carry when small size and weight are most important.

I also own the 22 LR version of this pistol,,,
The odd advantage the 25PLY has,,,
It holds ten rounds of ammo,,,
The 22 LR only holds nine.

The .25 ACP is a very small round with minimal energy,,,
But if you decide that it's what you want to carry,,,
And can be purchased for less that $250.00.

This little Taurus is a very fine mouse gun.

It has excellent ergonomics so it naturally points very well,,,
And it goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

You should hold one and check it out.

Aarond

My 950 Beretta and Model 20 Beretta still get pocket time. I consider the 25 auto a long range Ice Pick . It will punch a lot of holes real quick

When I was a college kid of the type with no trust fund, working nights ta a gas station, I bought what I could afford - the cheapest piece of junk I could find. That was in 1981. Since that time I have fired hundreds of rounds through it, and replaced a broken firing pin. I still carry it on occasion, when the .38 is just too big for the day's activity. Sure, I'd rather have the .38, but I'd have no qualms about facing the bad guy who prefers the sharpened stick.

It would be extremely rare that a common street thug would continue an attack after being shot at or hit with anything if they are able to flee, just by carrying ANYTHING, I've knocked the odds way down.

Raven003_zps7faaae49.jpg

I was thinking of getting a 25 acp for pocket carry.

If you have the money, get a Ruger LCP or Glock 42 for pocket carry. About the same price as a .25 but way better.

The .25 is a good gun for your opponent to have. Let THEM carry it.

Deaf

I sometimes carry my Beretta 950 if I can't carry a full size gun, but back it up with a good sharp knife. It's better than nothing, but at the time I bought it there weren't many other very concealable guns out there that didn't cost a arm and a leg. now I thing I'd like to try a Kel-Tec or one of the other little 32 auto's.

The only sure physiological gunshot stop (from a handgun) is a central nervous system shot. This is an absolute, and there is no arguing. A .25 caliber CNS shot will do the same thing as a .44 magnum.

This ASSUMES the bullet actually penetrates deep enough to destroy the CNS. A 25auto may or MAY NOT do this. If we can guarantee a frontal face shot then a 25auto will give adequate depth thru the eye/nose/sinus passages.

A shot from the rear or top of the head is unlikely to get thru the tough skull and into the brain.

As we use larger calibers, the penetration increases and so does the ability to reliably get the bullet into the structures that must be destroyed to stop that assailant.

I dont want to HOPE my chosen pistol has the horsepower to get in deep enough to have a chance to work

Not my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choice, but beats fists, feet and foul language. I always thought the role of the 25ACP was for an absolute last ditch backup or very deep concealment-bathing trunks, e.g.

Maybe OK for very last ditch backup. I remember as a young teenager, my father was a NYC court officer, and decided he needed (?) a concealed handgun. Some NYPD friends gave him several to look at. One was a Mauser 25 ACP. He brought it home, and I suggested a test in my basement home-built range where I shot my 22 rifles occasionally [it was a different time...]. I shot the Mauser into a 1" oak board backed up by several feet of NYC phone books in a wooden frame. I knew from experience that the 22 rifle would penetrate the oak. When I fired the 25 ACP, there was a clattering sound when the bullet bounced off the oak and skittered across the floor. The dent was not impressive. I told him this seemed like a bad idea, and he later obtained a S&W J frame in 38 Spcl. I remember being very surprised at the dramatic difference between a 22 from a rifle and the .25 from the pistol.

I've a few .25. The caliber is dated and were fun to collect. In the 80's and before they were the smallest firearms. I used to carry a stainless Bauer .25. Then came the 32 Seecamp. A lot have changes since than.

Last edited:
Doyle said:
Armed enough - no way. Better than a sharp stick - some people would rather use the stick.
This certainly isn't true. In majority of shootings, attackers give up due to the mere fact that they were shot. Only a small fraction of handgun hits is actually fatal, and it doesn't depend on cartridge as much as people think it does.
Bullet weight, kinetic energy and gel tests are not what makes bad guys stop.
They don't think: "OMG! He hit me with that 125gr 1350fps 500ft-lbs .357Mag Speer Gold Dot which penetrates 15" and expands to .750" with 99% retained weight! OMG!" *magically falls on the ground*
or "Haha, that lowly .22 doesn't have enough bullet weight to penetrate me deeper than FBI's 12"! And I've seen it had failed to expand reliably in a video on youtube! I have DRUGS to keep me alive! You ain't killin' me with that garbage, haha!" *continues smashing with his machete furiously* :D

I'm not saying .25acp 50gr FMJ "mouse" is as good as full size .40/.45 handgun loaded with newest quality JHPs. It isn't. With the big pistol you will be more effective–higher capacity, bigger grip, longer sight radius, more powerful round–but .25 is still a firearm in hands of a good guy.
IMO, You should carry at least .380 when you are able to do so–but when you can't, don't be afraid to have .25acp with you instead. It's better than 6" .44mag you leave at home.
Stay safe

Relevant thread for athritic older folks

Good thread for me. I appreciate the smaller calibers more now than ever. I'm debating what to carry and practice with on a regular basis due to painful (post-bone graft) wrist (complete with zipper scar). My current choice is the 380 ACP. Received recoil, for me, is lower for the P3AT and P238 than the PPK/s. I'm even considering dropping to a 32 ACP. Getting old may suck, but it has motivated me to practice weak hand shooting AND to appreciate the smaller calibers.

A 25 makes a good defensive weapon.

Just make sure you use TWO socks to drop it into before swinging it over your head

Ideally, a 9mm is where to begin. However, where "small" is not small enough (shield, cm9, solo, p938), the "micro" pistols are better than nothing.

.380 is your ideal caliber there. Some defense ammunition will meet or exceed FBI standards of penetration, but not all. So you must be picky.

If .380 isn't an option, skip the .25 and .32 and go with a .22LR Revolver. If one round doesn't fire, pull the trigger again. NAA makes a tootsie roll sized gun that would fit the bill.

Yeah .25 and .32 are more reliable but not more than a .22 revolver you can just cock the lever back and fire the next chamber. Quicker than tap and rack with a centerfire load. Oh, and loads cheaper to shoot too. Those prices for mousegun ammo are PRICEY!

.380 is your ideal caliber there. Some defense ammunition will meet or exceed FBI standards of penetration, but not all. So you must be picky.

If .380 isn't an option, skip the .25 and .32 and go with a .22LR Revolver. If one round doesn't fire, pull the trigger again. NAA makes a tootsie roll sized gun that would fit the bill.

European .32 cal. is loaded hotter than the American version. I think Geco ammo approaches the typical .380 energy wise. Therefore, it should penetrate deeper.

Back