Small calibers.

bspillman

I was thinking of getting a 25 acp for pocket carry. I would like to know if any body carries one. If so do you feel armed enough? Thanks.

Armed enough - no way. Better than a sharp stick - some people would rather use the stick. .25ACP really doesn't offer anything that a .22 rimfire won't give you at a fraction of the ammo cost.

Much better pocket carry gun would be a small .380. I would consider even that to be too weak. My current pocket carry gun is chambered in 9x18 (about 50fps faster than a .380) and I'm looking to move up to 9x19.

.25ACP really doesn't offer anything that a .22 rimfire won't give you at a fraction of the ammo cost.

Actually, it does offer something that the .22s don't, reliability. Traditional .25ACP ammo is a 50gr FMJ RN, and it feeds very reliably, something even high dollar .22s don't always do.

For EVERYTHING else, the .22LR is a superior choice. Lots of people have been killed with .25s (and .22s) over the years, but their record for stopping violent attack is very, very poor.

Many people feel the minimum caliber for self defense begins at .380ACP. With the .25acp, you are in the paradoxical position of being armed with a deadly weapon, but not well able to defend yourself.

The .25 auto is a psychological stopper. Simply having a gun stops a lot of attacks, when the bad guy sees it. BUT there is no guarantee, and in a worst possible case, compared to ALL larger calibers, the .25 is lacking.

The smallest I carry is 380 acp in a Ruger LCP. It serves as my Summer any time, any where, any type of clothing pocket gun, and my every day, all the time, year round BUG.
Realistically, a high velocity 22 rimfire would probably be close to equal if not better than a 25. My biggest concern with the rimfire for SD is reliability. Even the best has some percentage of duds, and I wouldn't want to find one when my life was at steak.
If you just can't handle the recoil of a 380, or bigger, at least give a 32 acp like the tiny Kel Tec P32 some thought. As small as any 25 you can find, with a bit more pop. But the 380 mouse guns from Kel Tec, Ruger, S&W, and many others aren't much bigger.

The only sure physiological gunshot stop (from a handgun) is a central nervous system shot. This is an absolute, and there is no arguing. A .25 caliber CNS shot will do the same thing as a .44 magnum.
The .25 also has a heavier bullet than the .22 and better penetration. There is also ignition reliability which is much better than the .22.
A bigger gun is probably better than a .25, but not by nearly as much as most think.

If you are really looking for a small gun, I'd opt for a .380 over a .25. Lots of options on the market, not much, if any difference in gun size and the .380 packs more punch.

I went with a Taurus PT22 because of the cost of ammo.

With Winchester Wildcat it has been 100% reliable through over 2,500 rounds.

Bill DeShivs You will NEVER find a .380 the size of a Browning .25.

Quantitatively, this statement is most likely true.

Qualitatively, however, my P238 is so close to the size of my Baby Browning that I can't envision a circumstance where the size difference would make a difference.

Neither entirely immaterial is the superiority of the SIG's trigger, sights and "shootability."

To be sure, almost always I will opt to carry something larger (both physically and ballistically) than either. The fact of the matter, though, is that I have, on (rare) occasion, carried the P238 but I have never carried the Baby Browning (and don't expect ever to do so).

Here is a comparison picture of a Browning .25 and a Star DK-the gun your SIG was copied from.
There is quite a bit of size difference.

I've been thinking of getting a PSA-25, a modern Baby Browning clone, for a BUG and as a "cool" gun.

.25 ACP must be used with ball ammunition, otherwise you will get dismal penetration if you use a JHP that expands. The .25 just doesn't have enough energy to expand worth a hoot AND to penetrate. With the right ball load, it will penetrate 12" or more in ballistics gel.

I would absolutely not feel comfortable carrying said gun as a primary CCW piece... unless of course that's all I could get away with. But as a BUG gun or BUG to a BUG, in an ankle holster or something similar it's an extremely tiny and light package to have available at all times.

Plus, it's pretty neat too. :cool:

I think that if you absolutely insist on something that small, you would have greater protection from a .357/.38 Bond derringer.

not me

I've never owned a .25ACP, but have carried a Beretta 21 and 21A as a second and third gun on occassion, but I've since traded the Beretta. I'd never consider a .22 or a .25 as enough gun....but it would beat no gun.

With the advent of the really small .380's, like the Ruger LCP, I don't really see the midget .22/.25 family have much place anymore.

Somebody once wrote that convenience was not a quality that one should look for in a pistol you are staking your life on.....or words to that effect.

well like i say shot placement trumps cal., and if any one remembers the General Wayne Inn case, one of the proprietors was killed with a lowly 25ACP.

For what is stated that shot placement is what really matters.I have a P32 and for what is ask about by the poster.Some might say that a 32 is not big enough But if do some search of WW2 that is what alot of Germans carry then.That is also the officers. Also some of the people carry 22rim hand gun also at the time because of for how things was then also.Also some cops carry a 32 also as a back up gun also.

I traded in my PSP baby browning clone for an LCP. Although larger, the Ruger is actually thinner (Bauer imitation pearl grips on the PSP) and lighter.

My EDC is a NAA .22 Magnum mini-revolver, loaded with Speer Gold.Dot short barrel loads. For its intended use, it is enough gun for me. I practice with it A LOT. Average is 2 shots into a grapefruit at 10' in slightly under 2 seconds. I don't see any threat being continued after being shot in the grapefruit a couple of times. If you are willing to put in the time, practice, and cash for ammo, I see no reason it will not work for you. Yes, there are better choices, but if size is a primary concern, as it is in my case, it is significantly better than a sharp stick. It can easily save your life.
Whether the vast number of folks out there agree or not, I know, for a fact, any gun, when needed, is better than no gun.
Use whatever you feel comfortable with. I truly hope you will never need it.

I have no problem with 22s or 25s used for defense. I was interested in one of the mini revolvers from NAA and when I got one of their catalogs they had full size pics of the guns. I laid my Beretta 950 over the pictures and the Beretta was just about the same size. So I lost interest in the mini revolvers. Plus my Beretta only has to be cocked once and holds 9 shots instead of 5 shots.

Here is a video of an ammo dump from the Beretta 25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm3CP3ijPIs

Back