sleeping with your gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remembering no children remain at home:
a) Either Springfield TRP or Ruger KGP-141 in holster on nightstand immediately next to my bed
b) If Springfield 1911A1, Condition One
c) Both loaded with HydraShoks (230 grain for the .45 and 158 grain for the .357 magnum)

Sleeping with my gun (Peter Gunn?)

Um...I don't want to talk about it. ;)

Anyway, I typically have a Glock or a Kel-Tec within reach, as well as a high-intensity light (Pelican, SureFire, or large Maglite), electronic hearing protectors, and at least one longarm. Oh, there's often been a large knife within reach, too.

Kinda hard to believe anyone will make it through the locks or glass, and into my room without the dog alarming or my rousing. I wake up if someone looks at me for a second of two.

There's also the fact that there has often been one or more adult males in other rooms that are (can I say this?) genuine gun nuts. With whatever personal arms they feel compelled to bear that day. :D

No, I don't think it would be wise to wear your gun to bed, if it was a short nap in a chair or something I think it would be ok. I keep a gun hidden under my head board.

No, I never have, except for naps.

(Who wants to go into business with me making pjs with pockets for bedtime carry?)

John

I don't want a gun in bed with me but I want it within arm's reach and out of sight. Being an old duffer who thinks water beds are only good when your wide awake, I have a conventional mattress/box springs with what Mrs. Captain calls a "dust ruffle" which is a fancy cloth that covers the space between the box spring and the floor. I put the cocked and locked .45 on the floor under the bed obscured by the dust ruffle. An intruder in the middle of the night is not going to see it and I have a pretty good chance of getting to it if I need it.

RJ

I have three pre-teen/teens in the house and I generally sleep with a handgun on the nightstand. In order for a BG to make it to our bedroom, he/she would have to get passed a mongrel, an English Setter and a little (but loud) black Chihuahua (I call her a Runtweiller). Additionally, this is the quietest neighborhood we have ever lived in (knock on wood). I toss too much to have a gun in bed with me and I'm sure my wife would veto that notion. What do you folks do when you've had a few extra beers watching the NCAA tournament or some other event? I generally unload the gun de jour on those occasions.

Reality Check

If you are thinking that you might need a gun in the night in case of an emergency, why would you want to place a lot of impediments between you and that first shot.

If it is not instantly available, what makes you think the intruder will be a sport and let you go get it, load it, cock it, rack the slide or whatever.

Ya know, I used to live in a place that was rated 1st or 2nd for homicides for a few years running, have heard distant machine gun and rapid semi-auto fire from my house, have run up on a homicide in the middle of the street 5 blocks from the house, etc., but I have never been tempted to actually strap a gun to my person or tether it to myself while sleeping. If things are that bad, I recommend a move rather than "sleeping with gun" techniques. (P.S. I am not addressing this to mattters such as soldiers in combat situations, the terrorist uprising described in an earlier post, or hunters sleeping in tents in dangerous game country.)

I do remember when I was in the military during the Iraqi fiasco and sleeping with my M16. She spent seven months by my side and I woke up more than once kissing the flash supressor! :D

My wife would freak if I started taking my guns to bed now. I keep my weapons out of reach lest I sleepwalk and place them back in my safe in the morning. I don't quite trust those keypad activated safeboxes due to my 3 year old being a professional locksmith and codebreaker.

As for my dog, she sleeps more soundly than I do. You would figure that a Pembroke Welsh Corgi with giant ears should pick up like a radar- but nope. She loves her sleep too much. My only salvation is the hopes that the burgler steps on one of her squeaky toys or doggie chews. Perhaps I will figure out a way to rig the front door to the refrigerator door. That is the only thing that will wake my dog up from her slumber!

But seriously, sleeping with one strapped on just gives me the heebie jeebies.

Good Shooting
RED

I do totally what LawDog does. I have my USP with an empty chamber and a spare mag on my bed stand. We have an alarm and a dog and my door is locked. I also have my 686 loaded with 2 speed loaders. My 12 gauge is close by but not loaded and ammo is close as well in case the **** hits the fan.

Lawdog did you really wake up shooting? Out of curiosity what county do you work in, incase I ever get pulled over I'll have to ask for the guy with the bugs bunny shirt. :)

my wife and i tend to subscribe to the "3" step rule of sleeping with a firearm. my p-99 is holstered, mag out, under the mattress on my side of the bed <when we are sleeping>. that way, in the event of "concerned" wakeup, i have to get up, take out gun, insert mag, chamber round. by this time i am awake and able to respond to situation with a clear head. my wife's p-232 is the same. as we have no children at this time the mossberg sits in the closet with tactical slugs and 00 ready to be loaded. if there is ever a situation where we are required to respond to a threat, most likely i'd roll off the bed and head to the closet while she got out her Sig. my theory in this style of homeprotection entails both of us. while i'm grabbing the shotgun, she is loading and cycling her sig and grabbing my walther. it's good to have the wife that i do...she was an NRA jr marksperson before she was 16, granted, she doesn't practice as much any more...but she can still out shoot me at times.

Adept

I keep a Sig P226 and a Sig P225 on top of my safe in the closet. The P226 for me and the P225 for the wife. Both have mags in them with a unloaded chamber and one spare mag each. I would never keep a loaded chamber in any of my guns because I have a 3yr old.

Pocket,

Why would you want to sleep *with* your gun?? ;) Well anyway I would think at the very least it would be unconformable. Why not just leave *it* near by???

I sleep with my 40 in a bed side holster hanger that i got from BedSideDefense.com that way I can get to it quick but don't have to worry about trying to get in to a safe quickly or sleep with a loaded gun under my pillow. It works really well.

Well it IS a Zombie thread that's been dead for over 12 years but it's kind of a timeless one so...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back