sleeping with your gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there a story about a guy who answered the phone and blew his head off?

Me: five button safe in the bottom drawer of the nightstand. Takes four keypresses to open and contains CZ-75 with extra mag. Have to be fully awake to access gun.

When the only kids in the house are my own, I keep my gun in holster on the nightstand, other kids around I keep it in a 5 button (finger hole type) handgun safe.
.....CZ.....

Provided you're not living under some extroardinary kind of immediate threat, I don't think it's a good idea. I don't think anyone should keep a gun where they can get it into action before they are completely conscious and sure of their judgement. This may mean different things for different people, depending on how quickly they wake up enough to adequately assess their surroundings, or on who else resides in the household or might come to the house in the wee hours for emergency help, etc. Lot's of things to consider here. You don't want to make a greivous mistake you can't take back.

-10CFR

I garentee(how's that word spelled again) you snap into conciousness real quick when some scumbag kicks down your door at 2 AM. as for sleeping with guns? I have a small arsonel within 3 feet of where I sleep, and a 3 foot long sward under my matress, not to mention the loaded mac 11 just hanging over my bed like some pagen (hooked on phonics worked for me) religious symbol. I don't think I need to strap something on me while I snooze, I feel plenty secure.
(when i camp though, i have 4 pistols and an ar-15 on my person when i sleep, i hate bears)

My primary carry gun is under the pillow (P7M8).
Second gun is on the night stand (S&W 645, Coonan 357 or Beretta Cougar 9mm). Spare ammo for both.
Benelli M1 Super 90 loaded with 00 buck is next to the bed.
My girlfriend (current) is card carrying member of HCI.
Use your emagination to reconstruct a bed time conversation
:) :) :) LOL

FWIW, I read a real-life account of a guy who slept with a S&W Triple Lock under his pillow during a terrorist uprising. In such a situation, I'd probably do the same. The potentially lumpy feel of having a gun the size of a Triple Lock under my head would be the least of my worries.

Anyway, before I was married I slept (alone) in a double bed, and had no problem keeping a sidearm in a Bore Stores pouch on the other side. As a matter of fact, there was room for a shotgun, too! Now, however, my wife has made plain that the only "companion" she wants in bed is me. I guess she sees the risk of an AD as greater than the risk of an intruder. Right or wrong, my sidearm now sleeps inside a box inside the nightstand.

[Edited by jimmy on 01-08-2001 at 03:22 PM]

I cannot believe...

I cannot believe how many of us actually sleep with a firearm on the nightstand.

Here's the senario:

Joe Burgerlar/Rapist/Home Invader has penetrated your home. He makes his way into your bedroom where he finds you sleeping with your significant other...a sound restful slumber. (Now I know everybody here has cat like reflexes and can wake up at the sound of a pin drop, just like or favorite heros can...:rolleyes:. He sees your fancy hand tooled weapon of choice sitting on the nightstand. Thsi guy figures if he can get to it first he can now truly control the situation, or at the very least walk off with it. In any case this guy can now do anything he wants, including kill you...oops!!!:eek:

I have very little, if any, patience for stupid people:p and what happens to them. So if you are this person, make a choice. Make the commitment to keep it under your pillow, get an easy access safe, or for the love of mike lock the stupid up so neither you or the BG can get to it. Who knows maybe you can wrestle him or something, maybe even sick your wives or girlfriends on him.

Revolver folks, its time to buy that safe, or succumb to the automatic. Revolvers, Glocks, heck even Sig owners, these are not the types of guns you want to be handling when rubbing the sleep out of your eyes. Why??? No manual safety!!! If its 1911 or SA only, its either condition 2 or 3. DA/SA, its chamber loaded or unloaded, but if loaded the safty is ON with the hammer down.

This really is common sence type stuff, but is does require some thought. If you are single, fine get that S&W model 60 and stick it under your pillow, maybe you'll get lucky and blow whatever brain you've got left out so you can end all your problems, or just leave it on the nightstand for somebody else to do it for you. For the rest of us who are married with/without kids, our families are the most important things we've got. Don't let them be victims because of your stupidity.

Uhhh, if Joe Rapist/Burglar/Whatever can just walk into your bedroom without:

- setting off an alarm,
- getting mauled by the dog,
- kicking open a locked door,
- otherwise making a ton of noise,

then you have far more problems than access to your gun. The solution is to secure your place of residence, not waste money on some quick-access gun-holder gadget.

I will agree with PeterGunn that it's not the best idea to keep a cocked-and-locked 1911 in close proximity to your bed. I personally go so far as to keep my pistol unloaded, with a few loaded magazines close at hand.

As to where to keep your pistol, how 'bout under the bed?? Mine sits between the pages of an Eddie Bauer catalog, which keeps the dust bunnies off it. A shoebox would probably work just as well.

My 2c.

Later,
Chris

I'd really be stupid to ignore my wife's preference as to whether or not she sleeps with a gun resting close to her head! My gun's in a box near the bed, and that's where it'll stay till she changes my mind. ;)

Not on my person, per se, but under the pillow. I have done this for years as a response to the gang infested wasteland that I used to live in.

For years I have kept a cocked and locked 1911 just inches from my head on the low narrow shelf of my headboard. You can't see the gun unless you know it's there. The muzzle is pointed away from my head of course :) I also keep a spare magazine and a Mag light there as well. There is also a Benelli M1 S90 that comes out of the safe and put under the bed at bedtime. Safety on, chamber empty, with 8 #1 buck shotshells in the magazine.

The 1911's I pull out of the safe for use around the house or concealed carry are always put in condition one. IMHO I think we are creatures of habit regardless of whether we are awakeing out of a dead sleep to grab something we are very familiar with, a gun in this case, or fully awake and grabbing the same gun. I don't want to ever rely on having to rack the slide on any handgun to get it into action. Murphy is always about and especially in a wakening stupor he may cause me to short cycle the slide causing a jam, the mag springs may decide to give up a bit causing the round to nose dive onto the feed ramp, or whatever. This is assumung you have the time to rack the slide. Ever practice racking the slide flat on your back, or on your side? It will be different.

Joe Burgerlar/Rapist/Home Invader has penetrated your home. He makes his way into your bedroom where he finds you sleeping with your significant other...a sound restful slumber. ...

Uh-uh, ain't gonna happen. I have strategically strewn my bedroom with piles of dirty clothes, boxes holding sundry household stuff, muddy boots, an ironing board, a box of Christmas ornaments that should have been put in the attic, a suitcase from last summer, etc etc. No way he's getting into my room without tripping over all this crap and making a he!! of a racket.

Of course, getting up to go pee is a bit of a chore, but one must make sacrifices in order to have a strategically secure home.

tstr

In case nobody mentioned this...

you might want to think if the "woman who sleeps by your side" might like to give you an extra belly button. Just wondering...

Do it all the time...

I've got my 1911 in a soft zippered case (partially unzipped so I can get the gun) under my pillow. It's kept in condition 3 so I can't just shoot it on accident while half awake, wondering who's at my door.

Hello All,

I read an article on J-frame revolvers many years ago by Massad Ayoob. He mentioned that in truly high risk scenarios you could strap a J-frame Centennial onto your ankle in an Alessi ankle holster and sleep very comfortably. If the creep makes it into the room and end up on top of you trying to choke or stab you all you have to do is snap your ankle up and reach down and draw the Centennial. As it is a hammerless design it will fire five times under the sheets without jamming. Of course, your linens are history. ;)

Ayoob had two female rape victims for clients that used this method and both ended up shooting their attackers dead.

I've done it on a few occassions with my Model 640 Centennial when I felt the need and worked very well indeed.

A few years ago, when I lived and slept alone, I kept a Ruger GP-100 under my pillow all the time.

- Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back