Slang, jargon, and misused words

"Come ups" has often been used by competitors shooting at one distance then increasing in range increments.

With Garands zeroed at 200 yards, its a 2 click come up for a 300 yard zero, 5 more to 500, 7 more to 600. Come up 10 more to zero at 800 yards, up 6 more for 900 and 7 more to zero at 1000 yards.

Depending on the ammo's actual muzzle velocity, a half MOA correction may be needed.

Last edited:
Not an expert, just a former across-the-course competitor. "Come up" is usually in clicks or mils or MOA, not inches. Clicks/mil/MOA are all adjustable at the sights and has nothing to do with how many inches off target you are, it has to do with how far you need to adjust your sights to be on target.

My favorite gripe is the media libs describing a proposed one percent sales tax increase as a "penny tax."

I mean, who could possibly oppose just a silly penny more tax. Many folks won't even bend down to pick up a penny from the ground in the grocery store parking lot.

But when I complain to the reporter pointing out that the increased one percent tax would add $1.50 to the cost of a coat, $5.00 to a computer, $6 to the average Glock, $10 to a really big screen TV, $15 to a refrigerator and $350 to a new Chevy-- I usually don't hear back from them!

Last edited:
1% is a "penny tax" but its one penny PER DOLLAR!
That's what they're leaving off, and they never like it when someone points out their errors and how that misleads the public.

Back