Slang, jargon, and misused words

Then there's our old friend "The Saturday Night Special."
The version I heard was a magazine was a fixed location, in a fort or a ship, a clip was a small easily inserted and removeable piece.
And how about "carbine". As in M-1 Carbine.
Then there's military terminology. We say submachine, the British sub-machine or machine carbine, in German it's Maschinenpistol-"machine pistol".

The one I hate the most..."boolit". Makes me want to vomit/hurl/chunder/lose it/gaack/heave/retch/puke/up-chuck/hurl/spew!

Colorful language can be entertaining and local jargon interesting to hear. It reminds me of reading Huckleberry Finn or The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

In different parts of the county a creek, stream, brook, branch, crick, are all the same thing, and probably many other names for the same thing I haven't heard. How many different names for a pump action shotgun or rifle. Pump, slide action, trombone action, Amish machine gun?

In the part of the south where I live every soft drink is a Coke. It doesn't matter if it has Pepsi, Double Cola, or RC Cola on the bottle, everyone calls it Coke. A large portion of the people here refer to all refrigerators as a "Frigidaire". It might have been made by GE, but it is still a Frigidaire. All adjustable wrenches are "Crescent" wrenches. Even if it was made by Craftsman.

But I do prefer to see things be technically correct. Clip vs magazine is the classic example. They really are 2 distinct, different things. But during WW-2 the 2 terms were used interchangeably so often that the meaning has been forever blurred. It's just a lot easier to say a 1 syllable word than a 3 syllable word. The military is good at shortening things like that. A High Mobility Multi Purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) became a Hummer.

It doesn't really bother me if someone uses the word "clip" when they really mean magazine, but if I feel it was a mistake made simply because of a lack of knowledge I will try to tactfully inform them. It is good to know there is a difference.

The one I hate the most..."boolit". Makes me want to vomit/hurl/chunder/lose it/gaack/heave/retch/puke/up-chuck/hurl/spew!

"Lighten up, Francis" (yes, that was an attempt at humor)

Boolit is just a light-hearted attempt at distinguishing between home cast lead and factory produced projectiles, aka J-words (jacketed). As with all other slang, if you don't like it you don't have to use it.

:D

Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
Kinda makes me want to blow technicolor yawns too.

Ah yes, the old Clip verse Magazine. Below are images of three clips I had and gave away. While they look like what I call s Magazine they are clearly labeled clip.

Stevens%20325%20%20Savage%20340%201.png

These are for a Savage 340 30-30 bolt gun but I believe Stevens also sold similar clips. Anyway the guys who made them for their rifles used the term clip rather than magazine. No clue why they went with the clip naming convention but it was their gun so they get naming rights I guess. Beats the hell out of me? :)

Ron

Anyway the guys who made them for their rifles used the term clip rather than magazine. No clue why they went with the clip naming convention but it was their gun so they get naming rights I guess. Beats the hell out of me?

The answer is simple, they did it for $ (sales).

I've run into this before, and back in the day when this was done, we did ask why. And we got a reasonable answer. It was about sales. I can't quote it exactly, but the answer from Savage/Stevens as to why they called them clips went something like this...

"yes, we know they are magazines but we call them clips, and list them for sale as "clips" so that people who think they are clips will be able to find them, and buy them. The people who know they are magazines are going to find and buy them no matter how we list them..." or words to that effect...

Have to just love marketing. I never gave it much thought and just found it humorous. I have no clue where or how I came by three of them but eventually gave them away to someone who had the rifle to use them. Guessing during the early 90s when my wife and I owned a gun shop they came in the door. :)

Ron

Military rifles often have a clip guide (or slot) in the receiver bridge. So does some bolt action match rifles used in rapid fire events.

I've never heard them called a "magazine" guide.

Another thread here, a post refers to a revolver with three slides.
It is quite usual in the Old World to call any handgun a "revolver" no matter if it is an automatic.

My pet peeve is the whole "bias" thing.
I see someone on TV say, "That dude is bias!"
I want the reporter to say, "You meant to say, "That dude is BIASED!".
It seems terribly difficult for a lot of people.

Boolit (especially), shotty, and wheelie really grind my teeth. Also Whinnie. Clip/magazine, 45 Long Colt not so much. But then i refer to 257 Bobs. So it goes

Last edited:
Military rifles often have a clip guide (or slot) in the receiver bridge. So does some bolt action match rifles used in rapid fire events.

I've never heard them called a "magazine" guide.
You have never heard the "clip" guide called a "magazine" guide because they did not guide magazines... they are designed to use stripper "clips".

My English teachers drummed into my head that you don't use slang when writing except to describe character, create color or atmosphere because:
1. It's usually so vague and ill-defined that it is used and overused till it has no meaning.
2. It goes in and out of fashion.
3. It's usually very local or regional, ethnic or generational.
4. And, as my teachers would point, it often sounds very crude and illiterate.
5. It results in poor communication.

Back