Skeeter Skelton: Best trail gun?

For plinking, toss a little .22 in my pocket.

When I walk, my biggest worry is misbehaving aggressive dogs some bad citizen may have driven out in to the country and “set free”. .44 magnum is too heavy, but it’s one that makes the fellas jealous and my dad gave it to me. It’s my deer hunting pistol.

I keep looking at .32 H&R or whatever Ruger did, in a handy little revolver. It would take care of plinking and pesky varmints without the horsepower needed for a whitetail. Since I’ve never needed anything my walking stick couldn’t take care of. But then it’s just because I would really prefer a 32-20 but don’t want to fuss that much... wait... 32 special is a lot less fuss and common as can be. If I found a great price on a field gun in .32 or .38.. I just might get one despite my gunsafe downsizing exercises.

Been away for awhile, but had to put my two cents worth in. I've spent most of my 68 years in the mountains of the west, living and working and playing. For forty or so years, I carried a single action .22 revolver, and always felt pretty well armed, as I got really good with it. Along about 2010 I learned of the 327 FM, but wanted it on a .22 frame. So I got a Single Six in .32 H&R with the idea that I'd have it converted some day, and fell in love with the .32s. Gave the old Colt .22 to my son. As soon as I heard about the Single Seven in .327FM, I ordered a 7 1/2" barreled one, then a 4 5/8" (my EDC these days), and finally the 3 1/2" bird's head grip one, for CC in town. I live in the heart of deer and elk winter range, open range for cattle, there are coyotes every where, aggressive badgers, and I hear rumors of bear and lions, but have yet to see any. Even seeing people out here in the northern Great Basin is very rare, but, without exception, they are always armed, too, so I feel better with the S7 and factory Federal 100 grainers that do a flat 1600fps out of the 4 5/8" barrel. Cast bullet hand loads are milder, of course. Haven't shot a .22 in years. The S7 is actually a little lighter than a S6, as the holes are bigger and there's one more of them. Fact is, I rarely shoot anything BUT .327 anymore, except, of course, the 25-45 Sharps. I used to carry the .22 and, during big game season, a Blackhawk in .357 for deer. Now, just the one gun does it all, what with factory and hand loads.
A seven shot six shooter with .357 oomph on a .22 frame...the PERFECT trail gun.

Deserted glad to see you back. And I liked your earlier post on the 327 round in the Ruger S7. I might be tempted to get one except I have two single sixes in 32 Mag already. I rarely ever shoot full power loads. I am more likely to shoot lead bullet loads around 900Fps or jacketed loads at 1100fps just like the original loads were loaded. Maybe they knew something after all.

But full power 85gr loads get 1300fps and 100gr loads do 1250fps and that’s fine for my uses. But what sweet little guns these are. Really about as good as it gets for a trail walker.

In my first reply to this thread I was thinking in terms of backpacking and weight saving. But I agree that for easy walking or riding in my truck, the Single Seven birdshead is a sweet gun to carry. Had mine tucked inside my waistband today as I ran errands around town.
Deserted - any tips on town carry?

Thanks again for all the input, fellas. I have a few more ideas to try out now. Just need to get out there and actually do it!

jmr40 said:
Rock6, if you're still following the thread, I've been to several places in your photo's. Springer Mt and Rough Ridge. Killed a bear near that Rough Ridge trail sign many years ago. And that area is FULL of bear. I wouldn't hike there without a gun suitable to stop a black bear.

My choice if black bear are in the area is a G29 loaded with 200 gr hardcast bullets. If no bear a smaller 9mm will do just fine.

We've run into dozen of bears along the AT. As long as you follow basic protocol (don't rub peanut butter on your toes and then climb into your hammock:D), they're less of a threat than the druggies at some of the shelters. Bi-pedal humanoids are the biggest threat as you get closer to civilization.

Now, the Cohutta National Forest, west of Springer is loaded with black bear. I would likely go with more bear repellant if we go back there. 8 out of 10 backpackers we ran into were open carrying (it was during bear hunting season as well). I'm not saying black bear are harmless, but their threat is extremely low compared to other potential and more likely threats (severe weather, mechanical injury, arthropod attacks, hot/cold weather injuries, etc.

I'll admit, carrying a handgun is more for mental comfort than actual necessity. The challenge becomes weighing your choices (literally) when every ounce counts. Nobody carrying a .44 caliber Ruger Redhawk is likely backpacking 12-15 miles a day for several days. For actual distance backpacking, especially on more established trails are very low-threat. The only areas that are problematic are the shelters (especially in the Smokies), where backpackers leave food and trash and attracts more opportunistic bears...which is why we never sleep near shelters...

Last time we went into Cohutta, I just took along a G23 with the 200gr Hardcast +P. 10mm would be more appropriate in a G29-sized package, but I don't have one in the stables (yet). I've carried my .40S&W Shield as well for a much lighter choice than the double-stack G23; that's about the lightest pistol with the most punch without getting into some of the air-weight .357's.

ROCK6

Last edited:
I think a lot are missing the definition of a trail gun. It's purpose is not SD or to
use in bear attack. When you spend a lot of time in the woods such as you do on
a farm or ranch while doing chores or fishing and any other activity other than hunting, it is what you carry. They are for people that are in the boonies a lot of the time, not for occasional hikers
or people worried about SD.

I too hafta heartily disagree. Take away SD/PD and protection from dangerous game and what do you have left to even justify bothering carrying a handgun outside of it being a primary weapon during hunting season? Shooting holes in the trail signs? Just showin' off your favorite rig? Why not for occasional hikers or folks worried about SD?

While your subjective definition of a Trail Gun works for you, odds are it ain't workin' for everybody. What about S&W's .44 Magnum "Trail Boss" or Ruger's ''Alaskan" models. Both by the manufacturer's descriptions are meant to be "Trail Guns" and are basically designed for bear/two legged predator protection. Besides, I've worked for many years on Farms and Ranches......and am an ardent fisherman. Don't come across trails very much on either.

I think I pointed out that if you were in country where bear may be a problem or your trail
may be in a urban area with crime problems a 22 wouldn't be a choice. Since most people
are not in bear country that leaves SD against humans. If you want to call your CCW a trail
gun it's ok with me. To understand Trail gun you might go back and read some articles in
gun magazines before the hype on Bear Guns and fixation with shooting people became popular. I'm sure guys in bear country didn't wait until all the companies came out with the
special models of Bear Guns before they armed themselves. Just as the laws allowing CCW
have hyped the public. Both bear gun & SD gun are for a intended purpose and not much
good for anything else.

My farm gun was an SKS. It rode along on the tractor in case I saw a coyote, since it was very rare to see one within 75-100 yards.

Skeeter was a Marine and Texas Ranger and maybe some other LEO affiliate.

Keep in mind that Skeeter was writing for a living and those guys either wrote what the editor wanted them to write or had to dig up something new every month.

Some writers seemed to be more objective than others but after a period of naivety I learned to take most of those writings with a large dose of salt, since so much conflicted with my own experience.
Skeeter did a lot of great things, but he was never a Texas Ranger.

I have survived every thing Florida swamps and palmetto thickets could throw at me for 60+ years now with a .22 S&W 4 inch barrel revolver.

Trail Gun.

9302237-1.jpg

Red

Last week I actually did some woods walking with family. We were in the big woods, along the Kaskaskia River watershed. And ya know what? I didn't have any gun at all; it was rather embarrassing. It was a spur of the moment thing, since the weather was unseasonably warm, and the kids were getting restless cooped up in grandpa's house, and I had just taken my usual gear out of my car to make room for Christmas presents. I did still have a 14" brush knife in the car, which came in handy to help the kids construct a fort out of sticks. :)

That corridor branches across a significant portion of the state, and all kinds of critters roam through it. I was not worried or anything, but a pistol on my hip (in a caliber more substantial than .22lr) might have provided additional comfort.

Bumming around on my 83 acres in South Carolina I just carried my EDC Beretta Nano, until I crossed paths with a Hog the size of my wife's golf cart. Now I walk around with my either my 9mm 1911 or my Blackhawk 44 mag. Luckily when I rounded a curve in the road I saw mama bear and her cub. As it turns out they were walking away and never saw or heard me but the Blackhawk was at the ready. I'm glad I had it and I'm glad I didn't need it. Since then I carry a walking stick that I bang on trees as I walk just to let everything know I'm coming. I'm getting too old for surprises.

skeeters dribble pissed me off nearly 40years ago. traded a 6 inch partridge sighted model 19 for the new 624 (44special).
...followed his ranting to sell the bastard child he talked smith and Wesson to make. what a pile of crap. bore size chamber throats twist all wrong for any available ammo or components. threw all his mag rag articles out after that. sorry for the rant. bobn

Trail Gun...?

W/o a rifle/shotgun and worn on the hip:

RUGER Super Single-six .22 LR 5-1/2".

WP-20190116-10-59-25-Pro-50.jpg

To accompany a rifle/shotgun/bow in an IWB holster, or just as a pack "kit" gun:

High Standard Sentinel 9-shot .22 LR 3".

800px-HiStandardSent.jpg

Red

Back