Single handgun for HD, CC and Hunting...

A Smith Model 19 or 66 with a 4” barrel would cover your hunting, target and concealed carry needs. While a new officer and having limited funds and a Model 19 for duty it quickly became my universal firearm working all night, attending a Police pistol match during the day and slung in a pancake holster under my shirt for concealed carry.
Loaded with magnums it became a formidable weapon against man or beast and wadcutters for paper.

Pretty tough compromise getting one handgun that'll do carry, home defense & hunting chores adequately...but if I were forced to choose a revolver it'd be a Smith Model 19 with a 4" bbl. It has enough power for all those chores out to say 50 yds or so, but can still be concealed with a little wardrobe manipulation.

If I were in a 'automatic' frame of mind it'd be a toss up betweena Sig P229 in .40 S&W with a spare .22 barrel, or a Commander sized .45 1911, again with a spare .22 bbl.

All of the above have enough barrel (read inter-sight distance) to make hits out to 50+ yards from a rest in hunting situations, and if equipped with tritium night sights would do equally well at across the bedroom distances in home defense. Neither caliber is my first choice for hunting, but if ranges and shots are limited to less than 50 yds on our KY white tails, they should do the trick.

YMMV, Rod

It seems you would have to prioritize your carry needs, somehow.
A good hunter is going to be inherently difficult to conceal.
Something easily concealable isn't going to hunt well.
On a personal note, while I like a revolver with ratshot, for snakes,
I'm not a pistol hunting enthusiast.

Delta Elite 10mm:
Easy to carry concealed
Fine for home defense
Sufficient for deer inside bow range (which I plan on trying when gun season opens)
42750.jpg

Glock 29 - can take Glock 20 magazines and its unlikely the barrel length is that vital for anything - if it is can take longer barrels.

In revolver land I go with an SP101 (3" barrel) though I'm sure there are other choices

Last edited:
The opposing counsel on a case I worked recently really liked the Taurus Judge. She was a foot taller than me, broad shoulders, very athletic, take-no-prisoners negotiator. That Judge probably looked like a Saturday Night Special in her hands.

Obviously, you need to check your state's hunting regulations for anything you may wish to hunt first.

You also need to consider your size, build, and carry laws.

Generally, i'd consider the S&W 69 and the Glock 29 as two of the guns best able to handle all roles.

How its done easily ...

Here is a Ed Brown Special Forces, same size as Delta Elite, uses same holster.
I carry strong side IWB 3:00 with a forward cant; holster (Fist) was for a Glock 21SF, I heated with with a hairdryer & reshaped, added retention screws.
The result is a open muzzle holster that allows the pistol to ride deep, gets muzzle past/off my hip, conceals under untucked polo.
I've worn (wear) it all day long, including 9 mile casual bicycle rides.
209569d1479253054-4-concealed-carry-concealing2.jpg

For my 2 cents I am going to split it up:

Want a revolver go with a 4" .44 mag if you are talking large dangerous game, .357 mag if not. You can always load down to "Specials" (.44spl and .38spl respectivly) for inside the home.

If you prefer a semi-auto go with the Glock 20. It can handle the hottest 10mm loads out in the woods and with the addition of a $99 drop-in aftermarket bbl you can convert it to the cheaper and softer shooting .40S&W for target and home.

Now if that Glock 20 and the versatility of conversion got you interested look at the .460 Rowland Conversion, to really make it a hand cannon.

I want a car that carries 8 passengers in comfort, can go off road, gets 30 MPG, and I can drag race on the weekend.

I want a car that carries 8 passengers in comfort, can go off road, gets 30 MPG, and I can drag race on the weekend.

99.9% of the guys I know want that too. Maybe NASA is working hard on it (?). :cool:

4" m29/629...honorable mention for the 5" 629 Classic. Would be a little better suited to hunting but would be a little more limited in concealment.

I carry my 4" m29 less than I would like. Not because it's too heavy, but because it's in excellent condition and I'd like to keep it that way. I have a descent forward canted, high ride belt holster for it and it carries pretty descent in that rig. It's no J-frame, but not hard to cover with an untucked shirt. Summertime concealed carry is argueably a stretch.

Who the heck limits themselves to one handgun anyway???

Back