Single Action Revolver in .45LC

I have a couple Taylor's guns and they are by Uberti, with nearly identical models under varying names with other distributor's, some element to make them exclusive. One has grip checkering that I don't see on any other Uberti distributor's version or anything similar from Pietta. I think the differences are always cosmetic, maybe a hammer style, grip, or finish, some CNC engraving. The 45 Colt sizes appear to be built on the same Colt SAA reproduction platform.

If I drop the requirement of adjustable rear sights, what would you recommend other than the Ruger Vaquero?

I would look for an Uberti 1873 with spur hammer and 4 clicks. I dont know if they still make it that way. You can find them used. Basically a 5 shot. True old time revolver.

here is a link to the new Uberti

https://www.uberti-usa.com/1873-single-action-cattleman-revolvers

Good luck finding a photo of a gun with the hammer back. I think the gun has been updated to be little more than a cosmetic copy. I would say the best option is a used Uberti from back when they did authentic copies.

this is a new Ruger model black hawk in .44 special. You should be able to get it in .45 Colt. It is just one of many SAA revolvers I own. Most all of them are in .45 Colt.

Blackhawk_44_Spec.jpg

Except that Flat Tops are not available in 45 Colt, which requires the larger frame. Looks like you have a Belt Mountain base pin going there.

The Ruger Bisley grip fits my hand well. The Ruger is heavy, and that tames recoil, too.

In .45 Colt, you’ll pretty much almost need to hand load but if you haven’t done it, .45 Colt is super easy for us old guys. It’s not fussy and the parts are big.

I always shot .45 and my dad always shot .44. As he got older, he started running .44 Special because it didn’t punish him and is itself a grand cartridge with a fine history and made his Blackhawk .44 magnums enjoyable again for him.

Back to reloading .45 Colt... I bet I could get rid of all my gear except for the Lee red canister, a single stage press and a can of 2400.

Lipsey's offers a Flattop Blackhawk convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP.

That's good to know. I don't care about the convertible part but would be very interested in one of their 5.5" barrel models, probably blued. I would want to confirm that it includes the usual "flat top" feature of indexing on the loading gate. I have three other flat tops in 44 Special, 44 Magnum, and 41 Magnum, the latter two with 6 1/2" barrels. Lipsey's $929 price tag is not very encouraging though.

I don't push flat tops too hard, but I would use the 45 for Tier II loadings in 45 Colt, substantially beyond standard pressure for older guns or in that style. I used to have a 45 NMBH 45 convertible, but the throats were too big, and Ruger support was rude when I asked if they could fit a new cylinder with tighter throats.

That Lipsey is a very nice option for WaterMan requirement. The grips on any single action can be on the small side for big hands or moderate power loads. I am the proud owner of an original flat top. it is a hard gun to shoot with more than 44 special loads. For me.

A good solution to the reloading & ammo cost is the 45 acp cylinder. And, if it is not, I would like to hear some real bench tested accuracy numbers on how other (recent) ruger convertible shoot. I stuck my neck out and posted numbers and expectations.

I will also add, Ruger has just broke my heart on numerous occasions. I eventually get over it and keep going back. I absolutely believe any warning about chambers or barrel diameter, all that. Did I get lucky or do the convertibles work? Maybe they changed? Or as is often the case, they VARY :eek:

I'm liking my Ruger New Vaquero more & more. Took it out yesterday morning & shot it much better than my first time out, still not close to my auto pistol groups but at least I'm keeping 6 shots on a 9" paper plate one hand from 25'. I've been practicing at home dry firing with a laser bore site fitted in the muzzle & it helped a lot with getting the site picture in my minds eye when I went back out in the field. I have a whole new respect for those old timers in the 1800's being able to shoot these SSA style guns accurately.
z5FJz4ol.jpg

I wouldn't let Hollywood make you believe that guns of the Old West were only shot with one hand. You do whatever it takes to have a sight picture as steady as possible before thinking about squeezing the trigger. I think 9" at 50 feet would tell a better story.

I do believe that most pistols were shot one handed from my historical research-most folks just picked up a gun and were never formally trained & even the military of the day shot/trained in one handed point shooting until the 1950's.
Eventually I'll work up to shooting targets at 15 & 25 yards but right now I need to take baby steps so I don't get discouraged & will continue to do it one handed.

Okay, but owning that gun doesn't mean you have to shoot in some way believed to be authentic. There really isn't crazy recoil with those big guns and calibers, a compelling reason to hang on with two hands. You should shoot in whatever way makes you happy.

FWIW, the Lipseys .45 flattop convertible is on the medium frame and just like the .44 Special. Indexes properly. I have two and wouldn't give 'em up. Of course the New Vaquero is the same frame, just fixed sights. Won't give them up either.

I normally shoot 2 handed for best accuracy, but one handed is lots of fun. Dominate hand and other hand. Makes shooting much more challenging/interesting. Two handed shooting can get a bit boring after awhile. And then there is hip shooting. Moving targets...

Some references:
Gun Blast New Vaquero part 1
Gun Blast New Vaquero part 2

Gun Blast .45 Colt Flattop

One of the things I used to practice was to balance a dime on the front sight of my 7.5" .45 Blackhawk (EMPTY GUN!!!) with the hammer cocked, raise it to eye level, aim and dry fire at a target. If the dime came off the gun before the hammer hit the frame, it was a "fail".

One handed hold.
Used to be enjoy ringing the 200yd gong on the rifle range, one hand, offhand, left hand in left hip pocket. Its recreational shooting. Any style you want, all that matters is you enjoy what you're doing. Hitting what you're aiming at makes it even better! :D

Well...if you must get a Ruger at least make it a Bisley model. They are much nicer.

Ops, forgot, Bisleys are fixed sights. Still though, that low hammer design makes it much easier to cock if your hands are not large.

Last edited:
Ops, forgot, Bisleys are fixed sights. Still though, that low hammer design makes it much easier to cock if your hands are not large.
The models might be discontinued, but I see various Bisley NMBHs on auctions pictured with the lower hammer. Adjustable sights would be standard.

Back