Single Action Revolver in .45LC

In 1983 I got a 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk, .45 convertible. (there was no 5.5" barrel option then, it was either the short 4 5/8" or the long 7.5")

I got it with the intention of being able to plink with .45acp ammo and not have to chase my brass in the weeds. I made one small mistake...the first ammo I shot was .45 Colt! WOW!! after that, .45acp ammo seemed kind of weak...

I'm quite the fan of the new model Ruger Blackhawk, and am not bothered in the least by the fact that you have to look at what your doing to reload it. After a while, it becomes second nature to just turn the cylinder a little past the click, and its lined up...

I don't think the disassembly process is insane, its quite straight forward and not difficult. A few screws and a couple of pins...plus, its not something anyone needs to do on a regular basis anyway.

Despite all the people saying that they need to have work done, throats reamed, etc., or they aren't accurate, mine has had no work done in that area, and puts 5 shots in one hole at 50ft, and rings the 200yd gong on the rifle range, as well. Yes, at a couple hundred yards, one chamber does hit a foot or so away from the other five, At close range, its "off" by around an inch, or less. Lots of revolvers do something like that. If it matters to you, learn which one it is, and mark it.

If you want the look and feel of the classic Colt, get one. Or a clone. The New Vaquero has the look and the size of the Colt, but uses the new model Ruger lockwork (transfer bar, etc.)

The Blackhawk .45 (on the big .44 mag size frame) is bigger and beefier than the Colt. Has adjustable sights, and I've always felt it was the gun Colt could have built, if they had only known how (and didn't have so much money and prestige tied up in the original SAA design...;))

Mine wears Pachmayr grips and shoots as well or better than I do. I did have my time shooting heavy "Ruger only" loads, but 30 some years ago settled on a 250gr SWC over 10gr Unique. clocks just a hair under 1100fps from my 7.5" and hits hard. Does everything I ever needed it to do, and without heavy recoil. Does recoil a bit, and a bit more than standard factory loads, but the Ruger is a heavy gun, so, its not unpleasant to shoot. For me, anyway...:D

You might consider looking on the used market, some dings in the finish might save you a fair chunk of change over a new one, and unless the gun has been abused, used ones are seldom worn out. And as a plus, even if it needs work, Ruger will do it, and send to back to you just like new!

Water-man, the adjustable sights requirement gets you away from the Ruger Vaquero and puts you into the Ruger Blackhawk area.

Uh, yeah, that's what I meant to say....

Get the Blackhawk, you'll love it.

No mention anywhere that the 2 cartridges use different bullet diameters.

Because they don't. 45Colts made since after WWII use the 45 ACP diameter bullets and newer guns, at least Rugers, are .451 barrels.

Not the .454 of the pre-war guns.

^ Bob, that one in the lower left with the white tip on the front sight... what did you put on the front sight? How did you attached it?

"...is quite expensive..." No moreso than any other cartridge. $30 to $35 per box of 50 at Midway.
Quite reasonable, only just over twice the cost of 38 Spcl.:eek:
Like UncleEd said, if you don't reload, and I'll add shoot a lot, it can be expensive.
On the other hand,sounds like the OP may just want the 45 Colt, and maybe not shoot it all that much. The adjustable sight requirement he mentioned will however limit his choices. Unless he is wanting the gun for hunting, which the barrel length limit he also has indicates he probably doesn't, adjustable sights just take away from the whole ambience of owning a "Colt 45".

My first 45 was a Blackhawk convertible back in 1976. Like 44AMP, I never used the 45ACP cylinder. But that's because I reloaded and cast my own bullets from the very beginning. If you don't reload, a 22 rimfire would be a much better choice unless you make a lot more money than I do.

I would look at the S&W M-25.You have a swingout silender,ajusruble sights and a gun that will not role back in your habd like a sa will.Not that the rolback is bad.That's what they should do.The M-25 is a DA and reciole not as hard on the hand and nicer ot shoot.
Just something to think abought.

I've also owned Blackhawks since the 70s. With your outline, I would also go with the Convertible. If you get to loading (a must if you want to shoot the awesome HC lead bullets out there), the mid frame will digest 20k loads.

I would not get a convertible until I had verified the throat size on the 45 Colt cylinder, assuming use of lead bullets. One I had was .454. If tight, at least you have something to work with in getting it reamed.

If I drop the requirement of adjustable rear sights, what would you recommend other than the Ruger Vaquero?

The Ruger New Vaquero.

A bit of explanation is needed here. Over the years, Ruger has made a number of different revolvers using the same name, or a very similar name.

There are a couple of different frame sizes and styles that are named "Blackhawk". The one I'm talking about is the large frame (also called the "44 frame" by shooters) with a pronounced "hump" on the top of the frame for the rear sight. There is also a smaller, "flat top" frame that has been made, so there is possible confusion there.

Ruger made the "Vaquero", a fixed sight version of the Blackhawk. It has the smooth topstrap like the Colt. It was built on the large frame. (and it was made in several calibers, including 44 mag)

After about a decade or so, Ruger stopped making the Vaquero. It was replaced with a SMALLER framed gun, which in their wisdom, Ruger named the NEW VAQUERO.

This is something you need to understand, and something that often causes confusion in conversation. The gun currently in production is named NEW VAQUERO, and says that on it. It is NOT a new VAQUERO, it is the NEW VAQUERO model. The older, larger frame gun that is out of production is just the "Vaquero", and is so marked. The current production gun, which is smaller (same size as the Colt SAA) is the NEW VAQUERO. They are not the same guns.

I have a 5.5" barrel NEW VAQUERO in .45 Colt. I also have a 4 5/8" barrel VAQUERO in .45 Colt. Placed side by side the guns are almost exactly the same overall height and length. (I'd show you a pic but Photobucket ate them grrr:mad:)

Despite the almost 1" difference in barrel length the two guns are the same length overall, due to the difference in the frame sizes.

I'm a big fan of having adjustable sights. I had a stainless 7.5" Ruger Vaquero in .44 Mag. Great gun, but I wound up trading it for a Super Blackhawk (7.5") because I wanted adjustable sights.

Go to a shop (or a range) where you can handle different makes of SA, see which one(s) feel best to you. Nothing wrong with original Colt (other than $$$$), and there are many "clones" some with slightly different features.

If you want the old west look, there are many guns for that. If you want the best gun for shooting, and value, in my opinion that's the Ruger Blackhawk.

If you want the best SA possible, and price doesn't matter, look at Freedom Arms.

Get what you WANT, not what someone else says is better or best. Don't be bullied by "traditionalists". Their favorites are fine for them, but you should make your own choice, as I do.

A friend of mine has a collection of Colts. I've spent 35 years with the large frame Rugers, and his Colts seem small and fragile in my hands. He finds my Rugers "big and clumsy". Everyone has their own preferences.

Handle some different guns, shoot them, if possible, then you've got something more than well meant internet advice to base your decisions on.

Good Luck, and let us know what you decide on.

Oh, one more point, don't let the stock factory grips be the make it or break it issue for the gun in question. Aftermarket grips of different sizes and shapes abound. Other than my Single Six (.22) all my "working" Blackhawks wear oversize rubber grips (ok, one is oversize wood)... because they fit my hand better.

Traditionalists see that as some kind of blasphemy, but I didn't buy my guns (and grips) to please their sense of esthetics. I bought them to work their best, for ME. :D

If I drop the requirement of adjustable rear sights, what would you recommend other than the Ruger Vaquero?
Now there I can offer that I own both a New Vaquero and an Uberti El Patron (Belleza), a Colt SAA clone. Both are 5.5" barrels.

It took a couple visits to my gunsmith to get the New Vaquero running right, but it's great now. It's kind of dumb that a 45 Colt cowboy style gun is not dimensioned for lead bullets. Of the two, I favor the Uberti, totally stock. There is something about that Colt style click that is very seductive.

I usually shoot at 50 feet and struggle a bit with eye sight and still get very good results with both guns. I will say though that the Ruger will handle heavier loads, since it is offered in 45ACP convertible at 23k psi max rating. The truly heavy 45 Colt loads are not meant for these guns.

I have never owned a single shot revolver either. (Somebody had to say it.)

never owned one either, but have seen one. The Ruger Hawkeye.

Give the OP a break, we all know what he meant. ;)

The OP words
Quality at a reasonable price. Adjustable rear sight. Ability to handle warm, not hot, loads.

I have a 45 Blackhawk convertable. It the same grip frame as the single six 22. I installed the pachmayer signature same as others. I dont know if that grip is made. I found new old stock on ebay. That was a must for me. It is a child's grip. And, yes, I got the 5.5" barrel - perfection in my eyes.

I was told the bore diameter mumbo/jumbo that gun would not shoot with one cylinder as well as the other. I tested the gun at 25 yards with 5 shot groups. My best group was 1 inch. The worse was 3 inch. As I shot long enough, I concluded the 45LC was same accuracy as the 45ACP. The ACP is a fraction of the ammo cost. My typical and average was 2" at 25 yards off the rest.

I think you are going to spend some serious money to beat that. I dont remember exactly, but; the point of impact was also pretty darn close. The 45acp was ball ammo and the 45LC was jacketed 225gr HP. Those were both federal. There maybe some sweet spot favorite load but this is good enough for the shooting I plan to do.

Lets, see there were a few hickups. One was the pin backed out that holds the rear sight. I had to bend it and drive it back in. The grip frame is painted not anodized aluminum. It chips real easy. Mine at the factory before it went in the box. There was a gap where plastic grip meets the frame. I replaced the grip - that was a non issue. I think you can find good prices on these used. Hint.

In retrospect, I wish I got one in stainless. I was thinking more traditional. The stainless may even have the larger dragoon size grip. AND- Not painted aluminum, that for sure.

Last edited:
The Rugers are well made and sturdy. You will never be unhappy with one. Unless you desire a traditional design.

The Italian clones are usually very good and a great value. I've owned a number with no complaints.

The genuine Colts are very pricey. Personally, I think they are worth the extra cost. Last year I sold all my SAA clones and bought genuine Colts. If you only plan on having one, I would spend the money and get the real deal. If you want a shooter and a used one will work, sometimes you see one of the many various "Commemorative Models" that have been used as shooters at good prices. I bought two such SAAs. Both are in 45 Colt.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

If the OP chooses a Blackhawk, used is a good way to go. They are heavy-duty revolvers. My used ones are 40ish years old, been shot a lot, and still work fine.

The Rugers are well made and sturdy. You will never be unhappy with one.
However, 45 Colt can be problematic. You have to know what the throat diameters are, that they are uniform, and that the diameter is well matched with the bore diameter. Otherwise you fight with leading, accuracy, and bullet specs from day one. Most of my Rugers have had cylinder issues, and anyone else's varying experience doesn't change that. It is a real risk. I don't think Ruger makes their own cylinders, so they don't have complete control over the quality and obviously don't fully inspect them. I don't believe assemblers are expected to check such things.

Real Gun,

Are you familiar with the Taylor Smoke Wagon Deluxe? I've read that it is an Uberti that Taylor 'customized'.

Back