Single Action Revolver in .45LC

Water-Man

In all my years of shooting, I've never owned a single shot revolver. I'm in my seventies now and feeling now is the time to do so.

I'd appreciate your advice and recommendations.

It will be used for target shooting and I'm only interested in .45 Colt. 5.5" or less barrel. Quality at a reasonable price. Adjustable rear sight. Ability to handle warm, not hot, loads. Whatever else you think I may be missing.

Thanks in advance.

The Ruger is a good sturdy single action revolver. My problem with them is the disassembly and reassembly procedure is insane. With my old Vaquero (2 digit ser.# prefix) you must VISUALLY line up each cylinder chamber to unload and reload.

The original Colt was far better in both respects except for having to leave one chamber empty.

Still the Ruger is a good choice just practice and don't do a detail strip. Watch Ruger's youtube video covering this. The gunsmith they use is a up-close magician with wizard like skills.

:):):):)

The .45 Colt is a reloaders cartridge.

While factory ammo is available, it usually
is quite expensive.

However, you could get a Blackhawk with
dual cylinders, one for .45 Colt and one for
.45 ACP. The ACP ammo is much more
reasonable.

I only own 1 revolver, a Blackhawk.45 convertible. Cheap to shoot with .45acp and fun with .45C +p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, disassembly of the Blackhawks is a pain in the caboose. Even after having the cylinder throats uniformed by a gunsmith the Blackhawk would not shoot as well as my 586 and 15-3. I was not impressed with the Blackhawk at all. I felt it overly big and didn't handle well. YMMV

Look for a Freedom Arms...( either the model 83, large frame, 5 shot ) ...or the medium sized frame model 97 - 6 shot. The model 83, fits my hands better ...I have large hands.

They are exceptional guns...extremely well made.

If you want adjustable sights, you want a Blackhawk. I have three and like them a lot. One is the 45colt/45acp convertible. It shoots both very well. I own and have owned other SA revolvers, but prefer the Rugers, mostly due to the sights.

I have never owned a single shot revolver either. (Somebody had to say it.)
At present I have a Uberti/Remington M1875. Something different. Had a gunsmith put a higher front sight on it-mine has the post front sight. Shoots fine.

"...is quite expensive..." No moreso than any other cartridge. $30 to $35 per box of 50 at Midway.
MSRP on a 4.62" Vaquero is $829.00. $669.00 for a New Model Blackhawk. $749.00 for a Blackhawk with an ACP cylinder. No mention anywhere that the 2 cartridges use different bullet diameters.

For the criteria the Blackhawk is the way to go. I personally don't like the way Ruger actions work but that's just me.

Several nice choices available. I prefer the transfer bar system of the New Model Rugers which allows very safe use of all 6 holes. Others prefer the sound and feel of the original Colts, clones, or in some cases, old model Rugers.

Not sure anything above standard loads are safe in anything but Blackhawks or original (not New) Vaqueros.

Adjustable rear sight ?.....
Go with a Ruger Blackhawk , 4 5/8 inch barrel.
I bought my BH in 1971 and still find it one of my favorite shooters...it's just plain fun and the adjustable sights are worth their weight in gold.
Gary

My favorite handgun in the world is a Ruger Blackhawk convertible, 45 Colt/acp, with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. The 5 1/2 inch version is probably second.

Another vote for the Blackhawk, if you must have adjustable sights. I actually prefer the Vaquero, though it is more difficult to get the sights regulated to your preferred load. So the Blackhawk is recommended.

About this:
The Ruger is a good sturdy single action revolver. My problem with them is the disassembly and reassembly procedure is insane. With my old Vaquero (2 digit ser.# prefix) you must VISUALLY line up each cylinder chamber to unload and reload.

I also have an original Vaquero that I have owned for a couple of decades. After probably 10,000 rounds through it, I still haven't done a complete tear-down for cleaning. Of course, the cylinder comes out regularly when it gets cleaned, and usually the grips come off, too. Rarely have I removed the ejector, but it is a stainless gun. I do find a can of starting fluid with the skinny nozzle-straw to be quite useful to spray out and flush the innner workings without taking it further apart. I use a chamber brush chucked up in a cordless drill to make quick work on the cylinder chambers.
There is a technique for loading these guns where you don't have to visually line up the chambers for loading: Push each bullet into the cylinder while rotating. As one bullet enters, reverse direction until another bullets is pressed against the base of the previous bullet. You can do this in the dark. Practice this method until it's automatic without thinking about it.

Adjustable rear sight makes me say Ruger Blackhawk. Pretty much the only Single Action revolver I know of with an adjustable sight that isn't a $1000 Magnum Research BFR.

Used .45 Blackhawk's are very reasonable and if you are not a reloader, there are models with a .45 ACP cylinder that let you shoot the cheap .45 ACP ammo.

Back