Silencer for S&W model 66

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of shooting a gun into a pillow, how about the "Feather Distribution Factor": it measures the power of a handgun by how far the feathers float from a shot pillow. If we used that, the air compressor on the back of our 3/4 ton pickup has approximately the same power as a .44 RemMag. ;)

Jeez Mike Irwin, you are one prolific TFL'er. I was proud of my piddly 300 posts, but your quality and quantity vastly outnumber mine. You are a definite asset to TFL. Thanks a bundle.

Country Boy,

"Feather Distribution Factor..."

That's funny!

I can see it now... Someone attacks while you're on the job with your truck...

"BLOW HIM AWAY, COUNTRY BOY!"

"Ya feel the wind in your face, punk?"

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH! :)

I'm an asset? Why thank you, but a lot of people would say that only the first 3 letters of the word are applicable...

I must admit I have, and love sharing, what a friend from the old Compuserve Firearms Forum called my VFUK -- my "Vast Fund of Useless Knowledge."

countryboy, you are probably refering to the newer 'wet' suppressors. Since most suppressors are now wipeless there has been a turn to the wet type. A liquid is intoduced to the baffles to aid in cooling the hot gases, that slows the expansion, which is one of the causes of the noise from a gunshot. Depending on the size of the suppressor you may gain a benefit from a couple of shots to a couple of magazines before needing to dunk it for a refill. Use Google to find some of the suppressor manufacturer pages and they should have a better explaination for the technology. The suppressed revolving carbine was from Reed Knight at Knight Armaments in Florida.

I would never use a silenced weapon as prettyboy suggested because I like stampedes. And to answer his other question; on Pluto WE have a shortage of metal so WE have had to develop ceramic bullets which work quite well in our thin atmosphere. Well the ship is fueled up and it is time to go home can I drop you off on the way prettyboy?

There is, in fact, a silenced *&* revolver in existence. It's based on the 625 and was used by a European agency (can't remember which). The silencer came back to the cylinder, enclosing it.

No, I' have no idea why someone would want this. I've just seen it.

The Truth Will Out, , But why must ot be so painful?

I am happy to see that at least some people actually know what they are talking about when even "silly-sounding" questions are asked. JeffOTMG is right about the Knight Armament Corp suppressed revolver-rifle and others are right about gas-seal-pston cartridges (USSR/ChiCom). Also attempts to completely enclose cylinder, etc. I wish the "armchair experts" would at least do the basic internet research before sounding off. IBM Patent-server site would be a good start. Search engines also useful. Maybe that's the price that must be paid to read the really informative and interesting posts.

Gents--

If you want to see a pic of one of the suppressed Nagant revolvers that was used in the former ex-USSR, check out:

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/nagant.html

I've seen a handful of pics of suppressed Nagant revolvers, and this is but one of the variations.

The cylinder-encompassing can on the S&W revolver mentioned above can be seen on a Ruger revolver in Siegfried Huebener's "Silencers for Hand Firearms," available from several sources. Do a web search for the title and you'll see this device on the cover. Cumbersome.

optimist,

Don't be too harsh. The original question was about a silencer for the S&W 66. People just ran into problems when they expanded on the theme.

Not to mention blood everywhere, pieces of flesh and bone flying about, bullets bouncing off walls, etc. Of course that never happens in those video games teenagers play, does it, PB?

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back