Silencer for S&W model 66

Status
Not open for further replies.
The system Badger Arms describes with the piston is the one used on the tunnel rat revolver mentioned by Ajacobs. I knew something about this thread was bothering me. I read about that one in one of the Guns Annual Tactical issues.
Yes, I read 'em. You got a problem with that? :)

Ya know, it really is amazing how much you can learn here even on what seem to be silly and pointless threads. I would probably have gone the rest of my life without knowing that about Nagants.

To answer your questions: yes, try Gemtech or AWC, better yet use an internet search engine like Google and look it up yourself. Yes, the paperwork is major. Sure, they are a great idea on a carry gun, us an IWB holster, but be sure to get your pants about 4" bigger than you normally need, suppressors are bulky and hard to conceal.

When I was out of the states working speshil oops with the SEELS, we had some pretty cool toysies to play with. You can't play with them, nya-nya-nya-nya-nya-nya!

Thanks one HELL of a lot, Badger!

You have any idea what hot coffee feels like when you blow it through your nose?

It's NOT pleasant! :)

It is fascinating how the silly threads turn educational. I had always accepted the concept that revolvers were impossible to suppress due to the cylinder gap. A moment of reflection would have shown how affronted some ingenious persons would be by this state of affairs and how industrious they would then be to prove "everyone" wrong. Reckon that is proof I need to reflect more often.

Pretty Boy states: "If you are required to fire in a public situation, especially in a crowd, a silenced weapon isnt going to be as noticed. Dont want to spook a crowd and cause a stampede".

Notwithstanding all of the excellent technical information provide by our friend Law Dog, isn't it likely that the falling bodies, the screams of the wounded, and the general mayhem created will be "noticed" and may even "spook a crowd and cause a stampede"?

Just a thought for P-Boy's consideration.

Actually, some tunnel-rats used suppressed wheels, but the sound was attenuated, not eliminated.

Nowadays it's pretty much Ruger 22's or 9mm de juer's firing subsonics.
No info yet on suppressed 1911-pattern guns/ammo.

Although the writer of the original question may have the wrong motivations, I have to admit there is some merit to the thought. Having fired many rounds indoors without earmuffs, I can appreciate the benefits of a suppressor. Granted suppressors are big and awkward to carry all day (and they don't work on 357 snubbys too well).

Once, I fired 6 rounds (357 mag) from inside a car. I was stone deaf for the next 20 minutes (this was when I was young and stupid...btw)

The last time I fired a gun (38 rev) from inside the car I was so focused on the events at hand I only remember hearing a "pop". I guess it depends on the circumstance

In point of fact, Reed Knight (of Knights Armament Company fame) produced several heavily modified Ruger GP100 revolvers that had a suppressor mounted integral to the barrel. These guns came with snap-on shoulder stocks and scope mounts that converted them into a short-range sniping carbine (similar in theory to the IZH99.) I don't recall what method was used to ensure a gas-seal between the barrel and cylinder, but I think it was some sort of mechanical movement of the cylinder. These guns were also chambered for some kind of weird one-off cartridge (maybe a .357mag necked down to .223?? Dunno.)

I've seen a couple of these guns in various low-budget action movies over the years, so I suspect that they wern't very sucessful.

Later,
Chris

Actually, I think a suppressor would be a good idea for concealed carry -- not to keep people from knowing you'd used your sidearm, but to keep yourself from going deaf if you had to defend yourself indoors. But if you're a wheelgun guy, it's not an option.

I've seen lots of BGs use a pillow as a silencer, in the movies. It always works real good, too. When you use a feather pillow to suppress the sound, you'll have two or three feathers float artistically down across the body when you're done firing -- so if you don't want the detectives to realize you used a pillow to keep the noise down, be sure to use a synthetic one.

Btw, PrettyBoy, which of the regulars are you really? And did you and Canine work this out in advance, or is he an innocent bystander? Inquiring minds want to know ...

pax

Some drink deeply from the river of knowledge. Others only gargle. -- Woody Allen

Christopher II, those were actually Ruger Redhawks, in fact first made before the GP100 was in production, though he may have done some GP100's since the first ones. The gas seal was a folded rubber skirt that bridged the gap when the cartridge was fired. Being rubber it was able to fold out of the way as the cylinder rotated.

To quote the article I mentioned earlier:

"He began work with two different Ruger revolver models, the GP-100 and the widely touted Super Redhawk... The first step was to replace the Ruger Factory barrel with a 5.56mm stainless steel barrel that measured only 3 inches in length..."

The story goes on to state that the 44 magnum version has a .30 caliber barrel, 1 in 9 twist, 10" long barrel. With both guns, firing the weapon yielded 119 decibles while dry-firing measured 112! The concept is that a rubber sabot (or skirt) surrounds the sub-caliber bullet. On firing, the entire apparatus rides forward and the sabot stops pressed against the rear of the barrel while the projectile goes down the barrel. After pressure has dropped, the rubber withdraws a bit so as to allow the cylinder to be turned.

Pretty Boy,

Shooting in a crowded area is not usually an option unless everyone is alert and on the floor under cover. Major rule of safety is to be aware of what is beyond the target. You are liable for any and all injuries regardless of situation. You want to advertise, not hide the danger you are putting others in.

Pax,

I'm not so sure about the pillow trick. After observing what the BC flash does to sand bags I'm inclined to expect someone using a pillow would find themselves having to deal with a blazing pillow. :eek:

Of course some states require that some bedding and clothing has a reasonable level of flame resistance. Don't know how effective that is.

Pax,

Just for the heck of it, I tried the old "silencer with a feather pillow" a couple of years ago.

A friend's mom was throwing it out, so we took it and his .357 out back behind the house.

The movies are somewhat correct. You can MUFFLE the sound of the shot, but it's certainly not silencer quality.

But, it's not just a couple of feathers floating artistically.

When I touched off that that .357, I suddenly thought I was in the middle of either a blizzard or a flock of ducks that was molting!

Drat. Mike Irwin was here first with the Nagant inf.

If I had filled out the required legal paperwork, I would probably also want to get a Federal Arms .32 ACP cylinder to use with this modification...

SOF had a report years ago on a revolver made to be sound-suppressed. I was much less gun-cognizant at the time, so I don't remember if it was based on a standard model, then modified, or made specifically to task.

I will be quite happy if suppressors ever evolve to the level that one can comfortably be fitted on a concealed carry arm. I know of at least one instance where an undercover officer lost his hearing from using his .357 snubbie inside a car.

...ERG! SOF's site back-issue search feature is currently nonfuctional.

A silencer so one can shoot in a crowd without disturbing anyone. Neat! Since the only lawful reason to shoot anyone is self-defense, the BG presumably is armed. Of course no one notices his gun. And no one notices the blood flying, pieces of flesh and bone hitting folks, a body or bodies falling down, bullets going through the BG and hitting innocent people, bullets missing the BG and hitting innocent people or maybe something like a gas pipe, etc., etc.

Nope, if you have a silencer on your gun, no one would notice if you fired in a crowd.

A fun thread, but please, stay in school and try to learn about the real world.

Jim

Geez! I'm gone a COUPLE of DAYS for Mardi Gras, and you guys are letting the LOONIES in here like it was OPEN SANITARIUM DAY!!! :D

I may get bored later and see how effectively a pillow will muffle my HK UPS (SEEL designation for the USP, death on delivery)... I know it's not a wheelie, but I wanna see how many Db's I can get the ole' 45 down to, in case I ever need to shoot into a pre-stampeding crowd! Or would that be stampede-prone crowd?

Anyway, I think I hear my mom calling.

PS... in case you were wondering, YES, I do feel guilty about adding to the bandwidth...

Darn, Christopher II and Jeff OTMG beat me to the "Knight" connection, but their memories were more accurate than mine. I was thinking something along the lines of "Knight Industries", but maybe that was from too much pre-Baywatch David Hasselhoff TV.

It seems like I read an article years ago on the suppressed Knights Armament revolver that it used some sort of fluid to aid in the suppression (I don't know how). I recall that the article stated that even could be used to suppress the revolver (like I said, I don't know how). The cover of the magazine had a folding stock Mini-14 on it. I'll have to dig through the "archives" at home...

No jokes about the "urine suppressed revolver". I swear I remember it right. My mind is like a steel trap: It mangles everything it gets in it. ;)

300th post - HooYah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back