Silencer for S&W model 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyBoy

Does anybody make one of these anymore, and is there a lot of paperwork to get one? Would seem to be a good idea on a concealed carry gun if they are leagle

I know of only one revolver that mounts a suppressor (silencer), and that was a custom Dan Wesson model made specifically for an assassination attempt on Idi Amin. I've been told that it wasn't very quiet, and inaccurate to boot.

To the best of my knowledge, no other revolver has ever mounted a suppressor.

The problem with silencing a revolver lies in the area between the back of the barrel and the front of the cylinder, known as the cylinder gap. This gap is fairly wide, to allow for cylinder expansion as the metal heats up.

Now, if one tries to mount a silencer on the end of the Smith and Wesson model 66, any noise hushed by the suppressor is more than overridden by the gas explosion coming out of the cylinder gap.

LawDog

As above, it's virtually impossible to "silence" a revolver, notwithstanding the idiotic nonsense we've seen a million times on teeeeveeee and in the flicks.

Silencers, or "sound suppressors," are legal in states which have not forbidden them, (Class III states), but you have to register with the Federal BATF, pay the license fee, etc, in accordance with the N.F.A.

Idaho is a Class III state, and I know several guys who have gone through all the trouble to own them. They use them on their submachine guns (also Class III.)

FWIW.

PrettyBoy,

please outline for the public on this board why you think a suppressed CCW gun would be a good idea. I'm curious, as are probably many others here. We can always use some seasoned insight on tactics from experienced folks.

If you are required to fire in a public situation, especially in a crowd, a silenced weapon isnt going to be as noticed. Dont want to spook a crowd and cause a stampede

If you are required to fire in a public situation, especially in a crowd,

Why would you be required to fire in a crowd? Unless it was some manner of Luby's cafeteria situation, in which case the panicking crowd is kind of a given, nicht wahr?

One of the things we learned early on... keep all your options open, sometimes its necessary, and you dont want a lot of attention, no need to scare a bunch of people is all I mean so I was interested in it from that standpoint and just hadnt seeen one available even though i haave used them before

I know of only one way to dampen a normal revolver and it isn't by attaching a suppressor like one sees on TV. While it may be entertaining, TV or movies are the bane of the educated shooter.

Prettyboy,
You have some rather interesting posts (see All Posts By Member). Info requested on scoped sniper rifle, silenced revolvers, "killer bullets", firing in a crowd, and reference to being in "special ops" and "out of the states". IMHO sounds like one too may TV shows or rap recordings... A few more growth rings and you may grow out of it! :p

i find it difficult to believe that anyone claiming to be a special ops operator would ask the questions you do. if find it difficult to believe the number of SEAL/Ranger/Spec-Ops wannabes there are out there these days.
i will say i am not one or a wannabe of one. i do know people that are the real thing and i have attended classes taught by the real thing.
go back to your comic books or start asking reasonable questions and learn from these guys/gals here on this board. some of the knowledge you desperately need is here.
good luck

Lawdog,

The Soviet Nagant Gas Seal revolver would be a perfect candidate for a suppressor.

In fact, I think the Soviets MAY have developed a suppressor for it.

The Nagant, when used with the proper ammunition, IS very suppressable due to the fact that the case mouth enters the rear of the barrel, effectively removing the cylinder gap.

The Nagant is the one where the cylinder moves forward to press up against the rear of the barrel, isn't it?

Ouch. Two revolvers, that I know of. :D

Speaking of the Nagant, isn't the ammo for that pistol loaded in an overlong case? IIRC, when the round fires, the case opens up and seals against the barrel/cylinder interface? Or am thinking of something else?

LawDog

Hey look at me!

I drool when I sleep!

But I'm very quiet.

--------------------------------------

"all my disrespect is good-natured disrespect"

Lawdog,

You got it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to take my suppressed .50 BMG Barrett Rifle and whack a few squirrels that have been messing around on the tree in front of my house.

I don't want to use the unsuppressed .50 BMG, as I don't want the squirrels to panic and start to stampeed.

What really amazes me is that no matter how ridiculous I think a particular topic is, someone always turns it into a learning experience for me.

I am once again humbled by the knowledge and expertise on tap here.

Two down

Two of Pretty Boy's threads have been closed due to "silliness". At this rate, Pretty Boy is going to hold the record for most threads closed prematurely due to being overly silly. ;)

I knew of the nagent aditioanly there was a interesting article in one of the gun rags awhile back about a special s&w that was used for tunnel rats that shot both a shot load and solid projectile that was silenced, aditionaly on on the discovery channel they had a special redhawk in the cia museum (maybe fbi, I can't recall) Both used special shells made strickly for the fireams. The second one used a 44 saboted down to 22. Both has a portion of sabot that when fired moved forward, and forced up against the barrel closing the cylinder gap. Don't ask me how the cylinder still rotated. This is opposed to the nagant where the cylinder actually moves forward closing the gap.

I am certainly not an expert in this area, and am trying to remember from gun rags/tv so please chime in if I am wrong. I do resent answearing this guys posts though after veiwing his others.

[Edited by ajacobs on 02-24-2001 at 11:19 PM]

How old are you, PrettyBoy?

Any other guesses? My guess is 13 years old. Would be nice if he'd learn to spell. You can tell me after you finish with your giggle-fit. I've got a kid about your age. Sounds like you need some serious adult supervision.

There are three categories of silenced revolvers that I am aware of. One is the gas seal type typified by the Nagant but this is also accomplished through a nylon bushing that rides forward as the round is being fired and seals the gap. (see Gun Digest book of Assault Weapons, 4th Ed, chapter 26) The second is through the use of a captive piston. The piston pushes the projectile forward and then stops before exiting the cylinder. The high pressure in the piston is slowly vented afterward. The final way is, well, I cannot discuss this. When I was out of the states working speshil oops with the SEELS, we had some pretty cool toysies to play with. You can't play with them, nya-nya-nya-nya-nya-nya!

I saw in a movie once that a gun was silenced by wrapping it in a towel. I assume that if you wrapped the cylinder with the towel too, it would eliminate the problem of the cylinder gap. The movies never show stuff that isn't easy to do at home, do they?

About a dozen years ago, I saw a photo of a revolver built for Special Ops that was silenced. I think it was built by the fellow who developed the Hush-Puppy for the CIA.

It looked like a K-frame S&W with a silencer can that had provision to slide back and cover the entire cylinder.

Doc Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back