Sig Sauer P365 or Springfield Hellcat?

I have a Sig P320 X-Five and I’m not impressed With the trigger on that either. It is designed as a “competition gun”, but the trigger leaves a lot to be desired. It is not a clean break at all and 6.5 lbs. is too heavy for a competition gun in my opinion. Maybe I’m a trigger snob and am expecting too much from a striker fired gun, but Walther did a pretty darn good job with the PPQ. I know I can’t expect 1911 or HK P7 feel ing triggers, but I expect more from something Sig would slap the X-Five name on. I heard they did improve the trigger on the second version, but that doesn’t help me any.

I have a Sig P320 X-Five and I’m not impressed With the trigger on that either. It is designed as a “competition gun”, but the trigger leaves a lot to be desired. It is not a clean break at all and 6.5 lbs. is too heavy for a competition gun in my opinion. Maybe I’m a trigger snob and am expecting too much from a striker fired gun, but Walther did a pretty darn good job with the PPQ. I know I can’t expect 1911 or HK P7 feel ing triggers, but I expect more from something Sig would slap the X-Five name on. I heard they did improve the trigger on the second version, but that doesn’t help me any.
Yea, the "It's a striker fired gun" is no longer an excuse for a poor trigger. You might not be able to get a tuned 1911 trigger, but there are tons of excellent triggers on striker fired guns now.

The S&W M&P 2.0's, CZ P10c's, Walter PPQ's, Canik TP series, and even the Gen 5 Glocks all have what I would consider excellent triggers for a combat/duty pistol.

4.5-5.5 lb break with a defined wall, predictable break, and a fast, short, and quick reset.

I had previously thought the sig 365... Until apex announced that they will be a trigger for the hellcat. Which means the aftermarket will probably pick up.... Hellcat imo

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I've had my 365 for two years now....more than 1600 rounds through it...with near 100% reliability. It's my EDC choice 90% of the time. Easy to conceal, superbly accurate (see pic below), ergonomically well suited to my hands (and my wife's as well), it's an easy choice. YMMv, Rod

Good luck to your son. I just got a P365 XL at a gun show this last weekend. When I tried to load the magazines, I had to check the box again to make sure it didn't come with a mag loader. These two 12 round mags are the most difficult to fill to max capacity - ver stiff springs.

I've only used mag loaders a few times over the years, but I've always gone back to doing it manually. Unless these loosen up after a short while, I will invest in a loader.

ftttu,

I have pretty strong hands and never used a loader before I get my Springfield Armory Hellcat. Those darn sub-compact mags are stiff! They have loosened up some and can load without the loader now, but they are still pretty stiff.

I’m thinking I want a Hellcat but there’s no place around that has one to rent so I can try it out. I’m a fairly new shooter and I have a Sig P320 as my home defense weapon but that’s not a great carry gun. I’m not comfortable with the idea of buying something like a compact or mini compact pistol ( or any pistol, I guess) without trying it out. Any suggestions?

Andy, if you are familiar with Sig already, why not go with the 365? What area are you in? Have you tried calling multiple ranges to see if they have the Hellcat (or365) to rent?

I live in NC in the Raleigh area. I’ve checked with all of the ranges that rent guns within a couple of hours of here and most have the 365 but none have the hellcat. The 365 is a great gun and I may go with that but I was just hoping for the opportunity to try them both because I want to be 100% sure.

Sorry to hear that. If you were anywhere near South Florida, I’d offer to let you try mine out. Gun inventories have been pretty low all over the place, so it might be wise to just pick up the Sig 365 if you really need a carry gun. You already have the P320 and you mentioned you’re pretty happy with it. Based on most threads I have seen, people are pretty eveLy split between the Hellcat and the P365.

With the way things are right now (crazy) I’d go with the one I could locate. Either brick and mortar or internet. And forget getting one at a reasonable price. Paying Suggested retail would be golden in the present climate.

I'm wanting a new EDC gun. Either a P365, P365XL, or S&W M&P 2.0 Compact .45 ACP. I'm also seriously considering an AR of some kind. But I don't return to my p/t job until January of 2021. It's the job I use to fund my "toys" such as those mentioned above. I just hope the pandemic has pretty much resolved by then. Heck, I just hope I can find what I'm looking for, let alone make a purchase. We'll see I guess. Right now the gun and ammo shelves are pretty bare.

Last edited:
I just purchased my P365/manual safety and fired three mags through it.
I didn't have much time with it but honestly, I was just as accurate at 15 feet as I am with any of my HKs. I can't wait to get back on the range with this little pistol. The manual safety was really difficult to activate and deactivate for first thirty times I switched it off and on. Now it's fine for what it is, a small lever that has a secure detent when in either position. I was fooled when I tried to activate the safety when the striker had already been released but not recocked. I love this little gun. I got it for concealed carry when hiking. Light, accurate, manageable recoil, and decent capacity.

Yeah I like them both. All depends on what the difference in size means for you, if anything, I suppose. I do think the trigger is generally nicer on the XL and maybe the recoil is slightly less on the XL due to the little increase in weight.

Back