Sig Sauer P365 or Springfield Hellcat?

triplebike

My son is getting his CCP tomorrow. He knows how to handle firearms, shoots better than I do & I shoot a lot. He likes the Hellcat, I like the Sig. I have a Ruger EC9S for Summer, a Ruger SR9C for Winter and a Walther PPQ 9mm for SHTF carry. He has shot all three. Any suggestions or experience on the two in the above title. Greatly Appreciate any insight.

Last edited:
I own two early P365's and find them to nothing short of perfect.
I have shot the Helcat and in my hands was a bit snappier but not enough to make me choose one over the other.
Both will back their guns, aftermarket parts available for both and plenty of holster options available. He can't lose choosing either one.
Let him decide based on which one calls his name when he picks it up.

I own both, but my the Sig P365 is my EDC. They are both great pistols, but I prefer the sights on the 365 and the 12-round magazine fits my hand perfectly.

I'd opt for the Hellcat because the optic ready model retains the rear sight and can co-witness the sights. To mount an optic on the Sig you have to buy the larger model and then you lose the rear sight if you add an optic. Otherwise the guns are pretty similar.

Most important is which one, if either, fits, and feels better. Is one more natural to hold, and shoot.
The Evil Gun Shop Lady that often helps drain my bank account had a few Hellcats in when they first came out. Her opinion was the P365 felt better. But she is also very admittedly a 110% Sig fangirl.
Personally I haven't looked at them, but if a higher capacity mini 9 is the goal, and the Springer feels good, why not go with the extra round capacity?

The range that I'm a member at has a rental Sig P365, but not the Hellcat. We're going there tomorrow so he can try it out. From the replies they're both pretty similar. I prefer Sig as a company over Springfield. If all goes well tomorrow pretty sure he'll go with the Sig.

I ended up choosing the Sig over the Hellcat due to the modularity. Since the trigger group is the only serialized part, I can swap lowers to different sizes (XL), aftermarket versions, or whatever future innovators decide to come out for it. To me, that was worth it. Although, I wish they made an optics cut version on the regular P365.

I went with the Hellcat. I shot the 365 but wasn’t that impressed by it. I think the Hellcat has a better trigger. The Hellcat come with a tritium front sight stock and comes with an 11 fund mag and a 13 round mag. That beats the 365 on capacity. The only drawback in my book is that the grip texture may be a bit aggressive for some with the Hellcat.

I went with the Hellcat. I shot the 365 but wasn’t that impressed by it. I think the Hellcat has a better trigger. The Hellcat come with a tritium front sight stock and comes with an 11 fund mag and a 13 round mag. That beats the 365 on capacity. The only drawback in my book is that the grip texture may be a bit aggressive for some with the Hellcat.
Looked at both yesterday and I certainly like the Hellcat better. Thicker grip fits my hands better and the front sight is easier to see with my colorblind eyes, really like the color choice there. I'd black out the rear sight with a sharpie though.

Funny you mention the texture, I thought it was nice but would want something more grippy. I like really aggressive texture ony grips.

jr24 said:
Looked at both yesterday and I certainly like the Hellcat better. Thicker grip fits my hands better and the front sight is easier to see with my colorblind eyes, really like the color choice there. I'd black out the rear sight with a sharpie though.

Funny you mention the texture, I thought it was nice but would want something more grippy. I like really aggressive texture ony grips.

This is from Springfield Armory’s site:

Adaptive grip texture illustration
ADAPTIVE GRIP TEXTURE
The custom pressure activated grip texture on the Hellcat frame features a pattern of staggered pyramid shapes. The taller pyramids have a flattened top to ensure comfort in the waistband and minimal wear on clothing. The shorter pyramids come to a point and lock in to your hand for a secure hold when the pistol is firmly gripped.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/hellcat-series-handguns/hellcat-3-micro-compact-handguns/

If you grip the pistol firmly, there is actually a lot of grip texture. My concern with an aggressive grip texture is that it can snag against clothing and cause your shirt to ride up, exposing the firearm. It isn’t bad and hasn’t been a major issue, but it does snag slightly against my shirts, which I wear half tucked.

My son went with the Sig. Purchased it yesterday. Loves the gun. Fits his hand like a glove & really likes the sights. Gotta break in those mags through, suckers are tight.

My son went with the Sig. Purchased it yesterday. Loves the gun. Fits his hand like a glove & really likes the sights. Gotta break in those mags through, suckers are tight.
I think he has chosen......."well"! (to quote the Grail Keeper in Indiana Jones movie) LOL! Seriously, i don't know what "perfect" really is in a concealed carry gun, but it can't be too much different from a Sig P365! 11 rounds, comfortable, dependable, accurate.

It tickles me when I read one concealed carry gun has a "better" trigger than another and for that matter, even accuracy is a questionable commodity for EDC guns. You're not going to be making a "bench rest" trigger pull when a hopped-up PCP head is coming at you with a tire tool and inside 10 yards, "accuracy" is certainly not that relevant. Concealable, dependable to a fault and very comfortable to carry are the three characteristics that mean something to me anyway when it comes to a concealed carry weapon.

I haven't shot the Hellcat but I bet it's a fine EDC gun as well. If it's "fatter" though, I'll take the Sig.

I just came home with a Hellcat OSP and a Sig Romeo Zero optic. I rented both the Hellcat and P365 prior to the purchase. Both good guns but I chose the Hellcat for the reasons I posted above. I really like the cowitnessed sight picture. I'll hit the range monday.

The sight took a while to install because the screws provided are a bit long and I had to take a file to them. They appear to be sighted in close to the iron sights but only shooting will determine actual accuracy and how much adjustment they will need. A happy camper so far... it feels very secure in the hand. I can't believe this small gun holds 14 rounds.

Last edited:
Sig P365. Seems to me slappin on a sig romero optic or similar takes away from one of the best features of the 365; concealability.

Sig P365. Seems to me slappin on a sig romero optic or similar takes away from one of the best features of the 365; concealability.

Unless you're pocket carrying, in my experience pistol optics don't affect concealability that much, especially small ones like the Romeo Zero.

Unless you're pocket carrying, in my experience pistol optics don't affect concealability that much, especially small ones like the Romeo Zero.

I don't pocket carry the 365. I consider it to be generally unfit for that, at least for me. I carry inside the waistband and in that context slappin gear on top my slide is not helpful.

Although I will say an under the barrel laser or light attachment on the P365 seems to work well for me.

I carry inside the waistband and in that context slappin gear on top my slide is not helpful.

I carry pistol with optics inside the waistband. I haven't found it to impede my carrying, YMMV.

I haven't found it to impede my carrying, YMMV.

Try carrying/living in an area where whether you like it or not you're going to sweat like a stuck pig.

Last weekend it was 120 degrees out here.

Back