Side-by-Side or Over/Under?

ClayBlaster

Inactive
I have a Browning Citori over/under and can't hit poo with it! Shooting sporting clays once a month and decided to sell it. I love the look of a side-by-side and really like the CZ Sharp-Tail. My question is this. Why is a over/under better than a side-by-side for sporting clays? I don't see many side-by-sides at the range (Moore & Moore, San Fernando, CA.) Are O/U's that much better? Like I said, I really like the look of the side-by-side but the Citori 725 has my interest as well.

O/Us give a single sighting plane which helps a lot. I suspect your Browning did not fit you well enough to be successful. Another thing to consider is that most SxS guns are meant for field use where you walk a lot and shoot a little, whereas target guns, especially O/Us are heavier for shooting a lot and walking a little. That extra weight helps to reduce the effects of free recoil. Target guns also tend not to have auto safeties, whereas field guns typically do. Target guns alsi tend to have longer barrels, something you usually do not see on SxS field guns.

Before blowing money on another gun, try figuring out why you can't hit with it. It may be your technique, how the gun does or does not fit you, or a combination of both. Have you ever had professional lessons?

Side-by-Side or Over/Under

Thanks guys! I did take a professional lesson and he said nothing about my gun fitment. I really like the Citori 725 but love the look of a side-by-side. I'm thinking the same thing, that the gun just doesn't fit me. I tried my Remington 887 pump and 1100 auto and didn't do any better.

I love the graceful style of a classic side by side, but I shoot better scores with an over under. They dominate competition for a reason.
Fit is important. One way to check is to close your eyes and mount the gun. When you open your eyes, if you have to cock your head or reposition the gun to see down the barrel, the gun doesn't fit.

Would love to prove everyone wrong with a SbS but don't want to spend the money if it's not worth it.

What kind of numbers are you hitting out of 25.

I'm not saying i'm perfect but I have a cheap Savage Fox BSE-c 12 gauge side by side. Same thing as a Stevens 311. I always wanted a O/U but like the SxS's. Well my shooting hit rate improved by maybe 15 % over using my Mossberg 500 pump which is my do all that i've had the longest.

But also in the long run I think the Savage has a better fit for me with a hair shorter length of pull. Which makes it pretty dangerous to clays and pheasants.

Maybe you should find someone to check your fitment. I mean really criticize instead of saying yeah it looks good.

Good luck.

Well, I cannot abide O/Us. Not saying they don't work or there is anything wrong with them at all, I just don't like them. I have shot plenty, and the only two I have been tempted by in 40 years have been a 28 gauge Beretta and a similar CG. I love good SxSs. But, I shoot clay pigeons best with a semi auto. I shoot the SxSs at game and a few clays just for practice, but I hit more with a semi.

Claybuster, going from your O/U to a SxS is a step in the wrong direction. You have two problems, maybe three that I can see just from your post. First, shooting clays once a month is fun but it isn't going to get you much improvement. Second, your "professional" lesson may have been a waste of money. I've seen "professional" instructors who have no idea of what they're talking about, and in fact aren't even very good shooters themselves. If the instructor you had didn't check you for gun fit he did a disservice to you. Even if he did check, that doesn't mean he knows what he's looking for. There are a lot of these "pros" out there looking to pick up a few extra bucks from new shooters. I'd guess you have a gun that doesn't fit quite right (that's not even determined yet until you get a real pro to check it). I'm almost positive that your shooting technique is wrong. I'd suggest you find another "pro" to give you a lesson, preferably someone who has a good reputation, wins a lot of bigger shoots, and checks gun fit. I shot a lot of clays for years and was a decent shooter. I won B class in my state shoot and also won it at our regional shoot. After taking a lesson from a very noted pro shooter and following his advice, I moved to AA class within a year and have a foot in Master Class. I'm still using the same gun. A SxS is designed for field shooting, not clays shooting. Find another pro, a real one, and try again. Your shooting will improve by leaps and bounds once you start shooting correctly and find out if your gun fits or not. Did you ever try your gun at a pattern board....one of the steel ones that is covered with grease? You mount and shoot without aiming in one smooth motion. It will tell you after a couple of trys whether or not your gun is close to fitting you properly. If it isn't, it can be made to fit by a decent stock fitter and it's a lot cheaper than buying another gun. Look into this some more. Good luck.

The debate on which is better has been going on since the first O/U hit the market.

O/Us give a single sighting plane which helps a lot.

This is the advantage claimed most of the time by the O/U crowd.

Personally, I don't see it. The rib between the barrels of a SxS is a single sighting plane as well. As is the entire top of the gun. (both barrels, including the rib, it's still a single plane, just a wide one :D.)

It may be an advantage to some people, but I don't think it is for everyone, or enough of one to show any clear superiority. I could be wrong, maybe at some skill level beyond mine it makes a clear difference. I don't know for certain, but for me, I always preferred the SxS because my eyes are side by side, not over/under. :rolleyes:

i shoot s&s,s once in a while and have shot a 25-25 with a 12ga rem model 1900 made in 1906 with 32"steel f&f barrels, but it took a while as the stock has a lot of drop. i,m using a browning bss sporter 20ga to, but the best is 23-25 so far. i don,t see many s&s,s at the regular clay games, but at a few vintage shotgun clay games they are used more. i have picked up a charles daley 12ga s&s that was made by mikrou the same company that makes browning that i will be shooting this spring. get what you want and shoot it and enjoy your self. eastbank.

The single best thing I did picking a shotgun was to SHOOT a variety of models. Without getting into changing a gun to fit you, you may find you hit better with a particular model.

My buddy shoots a high end beretta. I really wanted an excuse to buy one like that, but I couldn't hit with it. Same story for a ruger red label. Tried a browning citori lightning and did very much better.

I do my best shooting with an off brand italian semi that I got for $100, go figure.

SXS/OU

The rib between the barrels of a SxS is a single sighting plane as well. As is the entire top of the gun. (both barrels, including the rib, it's still a single plane, just a wide one .)
This ^^^^^. When I am shooting, I am looking at the bird, not the sighting plane. I have a gun that is properly fitted and it shoots where I look. I shoot my SXS about the same as my Bt-99 (Of course...I am not the greatest shot on the range.)
That all being said...there is no denying that SXSs are a rarity in the clay games. The winners are shooting O/Us or single barreled Trap guns.

Personally, I don't see it. The rib between the barrels of a SxS is a single sighting plane as well. As is the entire top of the gun. (both barrels, including the rib, it's still a single plane, just a wide one

That would depend on the rib, swamped, flat or raised? Most folks also tend to see the barrels in their peripheral vision. I own both and shoot both and like both (O/U and SxS), but the Beretta gas gun with shims has allowed me to get the fit even better than those other guns. Unless you are of "average build", most guns will need some fitting adjustments. You should always get the gun to fit you, not you trying to fit yourself to the gun.

Then get a side by side shotgun and shoot with it!

I don't care for the look of O&A guns and never got one.

I really like the look, handling and shooting with side by sides.

My best or favorite is my drilling 16-16-8x57 and my latest is a neat little Ugartechea 20 ga at 5.5#, 24.5" barrels, double triggers and straight grip. An optimum gun for carry in shotgun only areas.

dsc00012fc2.jpg

Very interesting! I've started quite the conversation and mixed opinions. Between the great advise from NoSecondBest to Savage99 and all of you in between I have to say this has been an interesting conversation. Especially being this is my first post to thefiringline. Thank you all for your advise and opinions. As it stands I'm still undecided about what to buy. I have decided to sell my current Citori and try my luck with my Rem-1100. This week I'm going to Pacific Sporting Arms in Arcadia, CA. and talk to them. I know my technique needs some fixen but I really love the look of the side by side. If I knew for sure I could shoot better with a SxS I would buy one.

Getting properly fitted is especially important with a SxS gun, so get that determined. It needs to point and shoot where you are looking.

Nice Uggie Savage! Those are a great gun for the money.

I have been asked by pm to further describe the Ugarthechea shotgun.

It's a side by side 20 ga with 24.5" bbls double triggers, straight grip.

I think it's a #221.

I will look closer later.

I was never the best at trap. I never went 25 for 25.
I could hit 22-24 with my BT99 almost without fail. It fit me pretty well, but likely not perfectly as it was never fit to me.
I could hit 20-23 with my Rem 1100 without fail. Terrible cheek weld and LOP was long(I think).
I could try out a gun I had never shot before for a round and hit at least 18 and usually more. Even if it fit terribly, was super light, was a .410, etc., etc. Improving as I got a feel for the gun even over the course of 25 shots.
Maybe not a Taurus judge. I never tried one though:)

You have to tell us what you mean by you can't hit anything. If you are hitting 10/25 it isn't the gun. If you are hitting 20 or more it might be part of the problem.

I don;t think there was a gun on the market that could get me that last clay though.

Back