Side-by-Side or Over/Under?

When I use a shotgun it's a drilling or a Side by Side. Otherwise I am a rifleman. The under/over does not interest me. I have used shotguns well for 60 years.

drillingi.jpg

Last edited:
On the left is my Bernadelli Gamecock 20 ga with 27.5" barrels @ 5#13oz and to the right a Ugartechia M221 20ga with 24.75" barrels @ 5#9oz. Both have straight grips, double triggers, tang safeties and are handy, fit me well and are fast.

ugartechea.jpg

The barrel lengths work well for me, I like them and they all came that way.

In terms of expansion ratios they have to be adequate.

In terms of what's 'best' I leave that to the shotgun aficionados!

The shotguns are for small game where the drilling s rifle barrel is not allowed.

With smokeless powder loads, there's very little ballistic gain with barrels longer than around 20 inches or so in a shotgun. The longer barrel is mostly for better pointing or a smoother swing.
In the black powder days, you did need long barrels to get all the velocity out of a load.

Well I was disappointed today. Turns out the CZ Sharp-Tail sxs has an unknown lead time. Local store said they don't know when they will get any. Secondly, the CZ A712 autoloader with adjustable stock and comb is not California legal because of the adjustable stock. So much for a gun for my daughter. Back to lookings!

Savage, sure looks like a lot of dust or lint on those barrels! If so, for shame, for shame - it means it isn't get used enough!....:p;):D

Nice gun, now go enjoy!

Well turns out California Gun Girls (Oak Tree Range in Santa Clarita) is full of it! I called CZ today, the Sharp Tail is in stock and the A712 is Cal legal. That said, went down to Rifle Gear in Fountain Valley and will have my guns in 10 days,

Back