Shoulder holster opinions

Been carrying a 38 SPL snubby in a shoulder holster for over 30 years.....works for me.
I’ve never had to draw it,,, practice ‘situational awareness’ to the ultra max.
My holsters have been custom made, so are just what I like.. I also use them when I open carry.....but then I am sure most of you will chime in to tell me 38 SPL is “old school”.
Oh, well, so be it.

For large guns I like shoulder holsters for my M29 or 1911. The holsters must be fully adjustable .

I use to carry in a Miami classic aka jackass rig. under mild winter jacket it was fine, but in true cold it was lousy because if you button or zip your coat it made for very slow access if you needed it in a hurry. I found that even with a buttoned coat I can draw from my hip quicker. of course driving and such issues make one carry method better than others..... what I wasn't able to do was get use to the off set weight pulling on one side. even with two loaded double stack mags on the other side... I just didn't like it because I found myself regularly doing shoulder shrugs type movements because of the weight. maybe a light gun would be better.

I have been using shoulder rigs for decades, from Texas to North Dakota and everywhere in between. They are great for concealing a full size pistol or revolver. Buy quality, Galco or Bianchi. I usually carry a 2nd pistol tucked somewhere.

under mild winter jacket it was fine, but in true cold it was lousy because if you button or zip your coat it made for very slow access if you needed it in a hurry.

Sorry, if you are in Alabama you do not know what true cold is. Try -40 on a clear day with a 40 mph breeze.......

For years I wore a shoulder holster, carrying a 1911. Mostly wearing jeans and a suit coat. It was comfortable. But then I changed careers and went with hip holsters. I do have to say though, shoulder carry was the bomb.

Sorry, if you are in Alabama you do not know what true cold is. Try -40 on a clear day with a 40 mph breeze.......

you should be sorry, you know nothing about me. in is one thing, from is still yet another.... but neither have anything to do with where one has been.

What do you do with your pistol if you have to go to a public restroom?
With a shoulder holster....nothing.
I stopped using anything but shoulder holsters after I got my first one. The funny thing is that I sometimes wear one backwards so it functions like an OWB at 3 o clock...except I still get to leave it on all the time.
I recently got a modular shoulder holster that I won't need to wear backwards for this. I just need to re-order some stuff apparently I got in the wrong size and I'm good to go.

What do you do with your pistol if you have to go to a public restroom?

:rolleyes:

Never use a public restroom if you value your safety.

The germs and itchified rashes you'll risk picking up there will be much worse for your health than any beating the neighborhood mugger can inflict.

Last edited:
I've been thinking on getting a vertical shoulder holster to carry my CZ 75 around in for the winter. Anyone use a shoulder holster? Anyone hate them? I've never used one or even tried one on before.

Seeing as how in the winter I usually am wearing a coat around town, and hardly ever take it off (I just unbutton it while indoors,) a shoulder holster would be a more accessible but still concealable option than an OWB or IWB holster, just because I could just reach down the front of my coat, instead of trying to reach back under a heavy winter coat. Your thoughts?
Just got one of these U.S. Military Issue Adirondack M7/M9 Tanker Holsters in brown NIB for $30 off Amazon for my 1911-A1. It's also spec'ed for the M9 Beretta so the CZ 75 should work.

(and it's leather, so it will adjust)

shoulderholster.jpg

(belly not included)
handholster.jpg

It's already taken three heavy applications of "Sno Seal" on both sides of the leather (half a jar), being dark bagged and left on the dashboard of my truck in the sun for a day in between.

The leather is just starting to soften up.

Red

This thread came up just in time! Iv been considering a shoulder holster because everything else just seems to show on my frame. Im about 6'1" and 170 pounds and anything around the waist sticks out like a sore thumb. During the winter im almost always in an oversized Carhartt and have been thinking about trying a shoulder holster.

Iv been considering a shoulder holster because everything else just seems to show on my frame. Im about 6'1" and 170 pounds and anything around the waist sticks out like a sore thumb. During the winter im almost always in an oversized Carhartt and have been thinking about trying a shoulder holster.

Actually, there's a 'variation' on the non-belt holster theme (whether OWB or IWB) that's not a true shoulder holster: it's the center-chest holster.

Most center-chest rigs have adjustable straps like shoulder holsters, but the holster itself is positioned either dead center (mid-thoracic/sternum area), or slighter lower and a bit left (for a right-hander), thus giving you a very slight cross-draw effect.

Although 'open carry' while in the deep dark boonies appears to be the default carry-method that C-C rigs were designed for, you can run them concealed if you dress for it. While I wouldn't try doing it in hot summer weather, in cool fall weather with a jacket, and certainly in cold winter weather with an overcoat, a C-C rig is concealable. Certainly no worse than a SH.

When I was looking at C-C rigs for my 10mm Glock 40, I looked at the Kanai, Galco (Great Alaskan), and the Diamond-D Alaskan Guide models. The Galco & Diamond-D are leather; the Kanai is Kydex. The Kanai is probably the 'lightest' of these rigs, and the maker offers it in a lot variations to fit whatever handgun you have. Diamond-D offers a lot of variety as well, especially for the magnum-revolver crowd.

I ended up with the Galco GA rig since it was on sale and there was also a discount on the spare mag carrier which fits on the cross strap. I can carry 15+1 in the G40, with another 15-rd mag within reach. While this particular gun and C-C holster set-up is for a dedicated 'woods gun' role, the Galco also fits my G20, and will likely fit my G29 too, although I haven't tried that one yet.

If the idea of a SH riding under your armpit all day isn't for you, but you're not happy with the choices in belt-holsters for a particular gun either, you might want to look into the center-chest holsters.

Last edited:
I've used a variety of shoulder holsters over the years and here is what I've learned:

1. Getting a good fit is paramount.

2. This method is ONLY good for colder weather or circumstances in which you can reliably count on wearing a cover garment for the whole day.

3. I find vertical carry not only more comfortable but MUCH less of a safety hazard in terms of pointing at everyone behind you, presenting a grip for someone in front of you, or sweeping your arm and/or the whole room on the draw. If you do wear a vertical holster, spend a lot of time practicing your draw and get used to minimizing that sweep.

4. I saw the comment about layers causing problems but really, this can be a problem with lots of carry methods. Some cover garments work better than others. I shoulder carry enough to keep it in mind when I buy jackets. I like jackets that can be worn open but rest in place, if that makes sense. The LL Bean Field Coat works well for this. I also like garments that you only close at the bottom, like blazers or heavier cardigans. (Yeah, I actually pull off Mr. Rogers carry from time to time.)

5. Shoulder carry is king if you spend lots of time seated in tight spaces, such as driving a vehicle or working in a cubicle.

I quit using "Cowboy" holsters (on the belt) decades ago. My shoulder rigs are Galco Miami special and Bianchi. Mostly Galco I can conceal my SIG P226 under an unbuttoned flannel shirt.

And when I need to drain my bladder (which you do more often as you age) I don't have to use a closed stall because of my weapon.

And I can drive all day, comfortably, with the shoulder rigs.

And when I need to drain my bladder (which you do more often as you age) I don't have to use a closed stall because of my weapon.

And I can drive all day, comfortably, with the shoulder rigs.

Right on! I forgot about that first part... It also helps on the off chance that you have to do some serious reading in the stall. Shoulder carry eliminates what I'd consider a fairly serious class of carry incidents involving tile floors.

I prefer vertical draw for revolvers and horizontal carry for pistols. Shoulder holsters are great for the woods. As one person I know recently found out, when you have to squat in the woods, your firearm is not an issue.

Wow found a thread where I hadn’t become such a troll yet lol. Still use the bianchi on a regular basis...
As far as the potty break goes, with a hip holster I’ve sat in the public restroom stall with my pistol laying in the crotch of my pants which were accordioned down to my ankles... more than once.

My advice, make a bunch of messy wet sounds and no one will mess with you.

Not meaning to get too graphic, but I don't have to take off an IWB or OWB belt holster to use the urinal. That thing in the front is called a zipper. Just pull down on the little tab and you'll have access to what you need.

I will say, however, that I've got a couple of pairs of pants where the zippers don't seem to come down as far as they should. It probably saves the manufacturer a couple of cents.

I have one from the 70's , remember Harry Callahan.....Dirty Harry , "Make My Day "...we all had to have one !
It's an OK carry method as long as you keep your coat on and don't let the coat flap open.
Gary

Back