Shoulder holster opinions

rebs said...I have a horizontal shoulder holster and it works great for me, I carry a Glock 30 in it.

rebs... who makes your Glock 30 shoulder holster? I'm looking for a decent horizontal leather shoulder holster to carry my G30 under a coat/jacket.

Safariland makes a couple of horizontals for the Glock.

Most of the year I carry a small revolver in an "upside-down" shoulder rig under a polo shirt. In weather cool enough for an overshirt or jacket, I wear a full-size .45 in a horizontal rig.

Shoulder holsters are pretty much "one size fits all" with a lot of adjustment. But even very small adjustments make a big difference in how the rig sits and how comfortable it is. The main thing to remember is that after you move around a bit, the center of gravity of the gun is going to be under the point of your shoulder, no matter where you had things arranged when you started.

Last time I went shopping for shoulder holsters I collected pictures and information into a web page:

http://dave2.freeshell.org/tech1/shoulder/holsters.htm

Leather will get wet from sweat and require a bunch of maintenance. Uncle Mike's ballistic nylon does not. (Both a 1911A1 and BHP fit nicely.) Adjustable in every direction too. Probably best with the front(grip) hanging down a bit. Anyway, once you get it adjusted right for you, the pistol will disappear and the holster will be comfortable to wear.
"...muzzle's pointing at things..." S'why the assorted shooting games don't allow 'em. Muzzle in any IWB holster points at things too. Same cure with 'practice using the thing' added. snicker.
"..."one size fits all" with a lot of adjustment..." Yep. Put one on after John Candy had been wearing it for some movie being shot in Toronto.(shop was providing stuff). Holster part came to my hip.

Shoulder holsters definitely have a place for concealed carry, especially if you do a lot of sitting, like in your car.

The real problem with SHs, however, is less about the holster and more about the body shape of the wearer.

If you're a big wide, barrel-chested dudenal, your girth will push the SH sideways (the part holding the gun AND the off-side unit holding the mags or speed-loaders). That result will make you doubly "printy," which isn't a good thing if you're trying to be discreet.

In other words, SHs work best with in-shape, svelte body-types (i.e., low body fat). They work for thin guys too (tall or short), but even apart from that, the real down-side is that SHs - whether horizontal and vertical - require a covering garment. Coat, shirt, t-shirt, sweatshirt, whatever.

Obligatory pic follows ...

SH were once the rage with undercover '80s studs ... :D

:cool:

Last edited:
shoulder rigs

I think the interest in shoulder rigs has sort of run it's course and is on the decline these days. As noted, TV and film gave the shoulder holster a lot of looks, and shooters seemed to follow. I can recall several investigative/detective types from my past who used various SH's in the role with LE. Now, a couple of years retired, I can't recall seeing anybody in a rig for about the past decade or more, all strong side hip. Our biggest local PD had an episode where one of their detectives got in a struggle and lost, or nearly lost, his gun to a perp in an arrest.......the PD put the nix on shoulder rigs via policy shortly thereafter.

For a while, I had an upside down rig that carried a J-frame or similar in a clamshell arrangement that had a mild spring and was elasticized as well. It was useful for carrying a second gun under an outer garment or uniform dress jacket....the tiny J's and Charters served that role well. Seems like that old rig was a Safariland. It's harness was very simple, and the little revolvers were not any type of hindrance and concealed well.

I've got an Aircrew Holster, the WWII type, that is similar to the WWII Tanker holster, but in appearance is very similar. You can duck into it without the need for a belt or garment of any kind (there's a thought for you) and you can't say that for any waistband rig. I use it to carry a Ruger B-hawk, or a Smith M27 , it is useful for ATV in the mud, mountain bike (not so much these days) or when in and out of the 4WD on work days and so on at the hunt club. I'll also admit to using it with either revolver in a quick store run in the evenings, now and then, when dressed in sweats with no
belt or decent wasitband.

My son carried his M9, a 7" bladed fighting knife and 3 xtra mags in this rig he built himself while flying in Afghanistan. He said it worked out better than a "Tanker" rig for carrying the extra items and was generally more comfortable. He also said a belt with a snap tie down for the muzzle end would have cut down on the sway from the weight.

The idea is that if you're forced down in hostile country, there's no time to get a bug out bag, and that you'd better have what you need on your person. I agree, having spent a tour in Vietnam as a forward air controller flying the L-19 Bird-dog. Best regards, Rod

The case for Shoulder Holster

I now most guys do not like shoulder holster. They think they are too slow to draw, which is true and not as concealable. For me it is the ONLY way to carry I found that works. It is the ONLY holster I can sit, stand, drive, walk comfortably with. I just can't get used to carrying a heavy peace of metal in my pants. I carry a 1911 full size so for me it is the only way. The other nice thing is that with two mags it is at least somewhat balanced and I don't get a back ache form one sided carry.

Now I am a bit different, I only have 1911 I carry or at the other extreme a small 380. The 380 I carry in a pocket, the 1911 in a shoulder holster.

I know there are faster draws, don't pull across your body, blah blah blah,... but I would rather have a gun that takes a split second to get to than not have a gun.

Now for recommendation, look at Aker. Super holster. I have the Comfort something.... in vertical with two mags on the other side. Wear it every night walking the dog, in seat pants, don't need a belt for it either.... another advantage.

I like the Galco Jackass shoulder rig for my 92FS and Mitch Rosen for my Sig 1911 full size in Fall/Winter. There are some nice Bianchi options as well, but to me, shoulder rigs are for the big boys.

When it comes to more compact pieces, there are various IWB holsters that work very well, including the Aliengear Cloak Tuck 3.0.

For driving. I found this cross draw that attaches to belt on left side to be most comfortable of any I have used. Does not interfere with seat belt.

This is the side that goes on the left next to body with a cant forward, but not enough to print.

Face side

Last edited:
I think that, depending on your choice of big guns in a dangerous environment is appropriate, given the size of the firearm is a deterrent in itself, then a shoulder holster is appropriate. Of course, there are other options for concealed under the belt, depending on your waist size and pocket in daily routines. But I don't forget the options of CCW using a more downsized 9mm (with deadly ammo choices) that can be placed in a more comfortable place most anywhere in moderate routine you feel comfortable.

Then comes the concept that a large, high-capacity caliber is your comfort zone. That choice has been met with many companies manufacturing today's weapons with single stack and double-stack options...(.380; 9mm; .45, 410's, etc.) that have the same delivery blast and impact for protection in a combat situation. Under personal attack, you have few mini-seconds to deliver such an impact!

Unless you are a trained, readied professional, why go for the big gear when a smaller weapon will be quite sufficient?

Last edited:
Concealed carry is rarely associated with speed of draw. You are carrying concealed so no one knows you have a gun. I use a shoulder holster because it is not only easy to conceal but I can get at it in any situation or position. I can go for a pack of cigarettes, light one up or drop the pack nervously and have my gun in my hand as the BG is looking at the pack of cigarettes. It is not a fast draw but it doesn't need to be fast.

I really like shoulder rigs.
If the weather is anything but balmy you will be wearing a concealment garment anyway, so you don't have to dress for your gun.
You generally get two reloads for balance, and that's two more reloads than I carry on the belt.
If you are seated, which a lot of people are for most of their day, during a commute, in the office, at lunch, etc., a shoulder rig is much more accessible than anything on the belt.
If you have ever had to use the bathroom while carrying, you know what a hassle it can be to deal with a gun holstered on the belt.
Other than circumstances that have you standing and facing the object of your attention, I think the shoulder rig is actually much more practical than belt carry.
I have Jackass rig for 1911s, and it will accommodate anything from a 3" to a 5". Adjusted high and tight, there's no need for belt tie-downs.

Concealed carry is rarely associated with speed of draw.
Maybe...but maybe not...it's a choice you make giving up an element of speed. How much is open to discussion and of course, training will mitigate some of that speed loss.

I tried one for just about a month here on our farm but found that it was uncomfortable, subjected the gun to armpit perspiration, and was more difficult to hide in hot weather. Just my experience and with only one rig. I did find that a hold down strap on the gun side, attached to the belt or belt loop significantly stabilized the whole thing, and allowed a better presentation stroke. Without the strap to the belt, I had trouble freeing the gun from the harness et al.

Most training schools with which I'm familiar, do not allow a shoulder rig on the firing line, but that is due to the hazards of muzzle sweep during the draw (presentation) movement potentially endangering the shooting line. Regards, Rod

I'm a big guy and I've found shoulder carry to be, by far, the most comfortable way to carry a full-sized gun concealed. There is no fiddling with my waistline or pant size. I can even wear those cheap or fashionable belts from my pre-carry days. As DaleA mentioned, the Uncle Mike's actually double as functional suspenders.*

The muzzle is pointed down while standing or sitting. Bending down or picking things up with your legs will largely preserve this and I hear it's better for you anyway. A major consideration with the horizontal holsters, besides always pointing behind you, is sweeping on the draw. This seems to be much less of an issue with the vertical type and you can practice to minimize it. Of course there can be a problem while pinned but that's true of any holster type.

It is a little slower than some other holster types, unless of course you are sitting, especially in an enclosed space like a car. There, I find it faster and more convenient. (I often spend several hours a day in the car or seated at a desk.) Sure, you need a cover garment and it works best when that cover garment is open or at least half open. That won't be possible in every situation but weather/region permitting, it's actually a lot easier than some people realize so long as you plan accordingly. Like any other holster style, it just takes thought and practice to get it right.

* The Uncle Mike's vertical holster is a good, affordable, low maintenance option. My major complaint is that those little stretchy retention straps that let it double as suspenders are slippery and don't stay put in the plastic adjuster. To get a firm fit, I put a few stitches in them. Beyond that, you have to be okay with velcro. You might need a friend to help you with the initial adjustments. Overall, it's probably one of the better mass-market holsters designed to fit lots of body types and gun models. Just remember that's what it is. Perfection costs a lot more, and I haven't pursued it.

PSA

If you a considering a "Holster", stay away from Wild Guns Leather.
Do two things:
Ask yourself why they will only take a Cashiers Check as payment..
Check the BBB. Ask yourself why they have a "F" rating and then read the complaints. They are all the same !
Very long story short:
I have been waiting for over 96 weeks for a order they said will take 28 weeks. There last email to me was "they will not refund my money, and they will not send me the holster I paid for". For some strange reason, the Texas Attorney General, IC3 Fraud Unit, or the BBB will do nothing to stop the theft & fraud committed by Wild Guns Leather/Lawman Leather......
Save your money !

SH were once the rage with undercover '80s studs ... :D

:cool:

I remember when they were cool in the 60s......

56ddee74f3be6c4589dac51a5c46ac00-460x699.png

I carry my Colt Government in a Bianchi Horizontal SH rig. Love it for OC and when I wear a light jacket/vest. No harder to get at than a tucked IWBer.

Back