Shoulder holster opinions

NateKirk

I've been thinking on getting a vertical shoulder holster to carry my CZ 75 around in for the winter. Anyone use a shoulder holster? Anyone hate them? I've never used one or even tried one on before.

Seeing as how in the winter I usually am wearing a coat around town, and hardly ever take it off (I just unbutton it while indoors,) a shoulder holster would be a more accessible but still concealable option than an OWB or IWB holster, just because I could just reach down the front of my coat, instead of trying to reach back under a heavy winter coat. Your thoughts?

I'm just one man, with limited experience.

But...
I found vertical-draw shoulder holsters to be very close to useless if there are ANY layers on top of them.

Open-carry ... sure.

Concealed at all ... nope.

Well, if you get something like an Uncle Mike's that attaches to your belt, you can eliminate your suspenders.

The vertical shoulder holster is actually good if you're sitting a lot. Or driving a lot.

Finding a good holster is a chore. One that I've NOT mastered.

I carry a 1911 vertical in mine. Works and conceals fine with a light shirt or flannel.. Not made for fast draw.

83340789ee3e1b69c1c821ccd81e4338.jpg

Maybe this explains it, its vertical but you can draw easily, but it's firmly secured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got several shoulder rigs, the leather Bianchi is the best of the makes I have, especially for a big pistol like a 1911 or a CZ 75.

I prefer vertical to horizontal carry. It's certainly the best carry while seated.

Lol

I figured out the spelling when I actually looked at it.

It's not the best form of carrying, but it's great to go on a hike, or a walk in the neighborhood with sweatpants and a wind breaker.

I prefer IWB, but the shoulder holster is nice in certain occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can borrow one of the holsters for a day or two and practice drawing in various combinations of clothing.

You may find that your body build makes it difficult to draw or requires more effort than you want.

It's not the best form of carrying, but it's great to go on a hike, or a walk in the neighborhood with sweatpants and a wind breaker.

I prefer IWB, but the shoulder holster is nice in certain occasions.

I agree!

I've winter carried in horizontal shoulder holster for years. It's one of my preferred carry methods, especially when I'm driving.

I've carried both revolvers and semi-autos ranging from small to rather large and heavy.

One big consideration if you're going to be carrying over long periods of time is to go with wider shoulder straps to distribute the weight.

I've gotten a fair amount of grief from different people over the years for carrying in a shoulder holster, in a horizontal shoulder holster, or both.

The biggest complaints from the naysayers are:

1. The muzzle's pointing at things you don't want to shoot!

2. When you draw, you're pointing the muzzle at your body parts!

Dealing with number one, no matter how you carry, your muzzle is going to be pointing at something you don't want to shoot.

Obviously the concern is that with a horizontal holster the muzzle is pointing at things/people behind you.

Frankly, I dismiss that concern because the gun is secured in a holster and none of my firearms have ever been possessed by demons that have decided to fire them randomly with no human interaction.

Naysayer argument number two is absolutely ludicrous. I can't think of a single CCW-type holster, or any other kind of holster, that doesn't result in the muzzle pointing at some region of your body when you draw.

Good evidence for that can be found in the Utoob video of the guy drawing a .45 Colt from a belt holster and sending a round through his leg.

The cure for that?

KEEP YOUR DAMNED FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER WHEN YOU'RE DRAWING YOUR GUN!

Speaking of fingers and triggers, that's been an argument against the Sherpa holster. Recently one of the friends of the Sherpa, a highly experienced gun guy, decided to video himself drawing from the holster to prove to the detractors that the finger didn't go anywhere near the trigger on draw.

Guess what happened... Video clearly showed his trigger finger hard on the trigger during the draw.

So, whatever holster design you decide on, make sure that it's one that allows you to keep your finger off the trigger during the draw.

I'm a big fan of shoulder holsters. Have a Bianchi X-15 vertical for my big revolvers (7 1/2" super Blackhawk, 6 1/2" N frame S&W, etc.) and I am a big fan of this type of holster. Also have a Ross leather vertical holster for my 1911 which also works for High Power and S&W 39. It rides low, close to the belt. Harder to reach due to my big gut. Have a High Noon horizontal style for my CZ97B, Recommend this one as it makes the weight of the big pistol vanish. I like it so much that I'm ordering another one for my Kahr CT40 which should be very comfortable as the Kahr weighs 1/2 of the big CZ. Tried some of the cheap nylon generic fit holsters and was dissapointed, don't waste your money. Stick with Bianchi, High Noon or one of the big names like El Paso Saddlery, Galco, etc. MTR leather makes great products but I haven't tried their shoulder rig though they look nice.

During the winter I turn to a shoulder holster occasionally. It's a very comfortable way to carry especially if your driving or sitting a lot.

I was once persuaded to try a shoulder holster of the type shown. I gave it a thorough trial (two days); it felt like a strait jacket. I went back to my belt type Bucheimer Federal Man* holsters (one for a Chiefs Special, one for a Model 19). I did try other kinds of holsters from time to time, but never found any I liked.

*Long unavailable, it is still one of the best and fastest thumb-break revolver holsters ever made.

Jim

The one place that a horizontal shoulder holster is perfect for.

Body Guard/Plain Clothes Police Officer, and a person who is armed, in a suit in their normal daily work clothes.

Look at how you stand, or sit, as in right handed, sitting or standing, both work. Cross your arms, dominant hand under your open jacket.

You can actually be holding the butt of your Glock 19 (my choice) and it can not be seen. This is prior to actually drawing. Otherwise your arms are folded! Just folded. Standing, the first time your hand gun is shown, is when it comes from under your left fore arm.

This hard to describe, sorry, but all of a sudden, you are firing.

Back