Should you carry your pistol at home?

This kind of reminds me of my first crime scene preservation class. The instructor would flash a picture up of a location and ask, "Is this a crime scene?" He would keep doing that with random looking photos until we started saying yes to every picture. "Right, every place is a potential crime scene!"

Mine are always on me when I am home.

Watching a move, cooking, eating, napping, cleaning, etc.

It's only off me when I'm showering and asleep. Those two times, it's 1 foot away from me.

I've got to ask: does anyone really like carrying a gun? While there may be some special occasions where I like to carry one of my more unique guns, just to show off a little, there's nothing much I like about carrying my little Diamondback DB9. It's heavier than a cell phone and one more dern thing in addition to wallet, cell phone and keys I need to remember and keep track of.

I hate my cell phone and can't stand my wad of keys. I tolerate my wallet. My gun is about on-par with my cell phone and I use it much much less!

I'm just being real here. While I do like guns, I don't particularly enjoy carrying one.

If I leave the house, I carry. If I am in the house I do not. Not to imply that some do, but I choose not to live in fear.
This phrase irks me, especially when used by others that support gun rights.

It's almost like I knew someone would pick up on that :) Maybe it is a matter of terminology or semantics... I don't mean to imply that carrying is a matter of terrified trigger happy gun-owners shooting at shadows and squirrels.

Perhaps better stated would be: When I leave home, I am subjecting myself to more variables than at home so I deem it worth carrying. At home I feel that I am close enough to a defensive option that I don't carry. Maybe that will change someday, and hopefully it doesn't change because of a tragedy!

Skans, I don't necessarily like carrying a gun around the house, the subject at hand. Whether my LCP is in a jean pocket (when my grandkids are around) or clipped AIWB, I just don't give it any thought. I don't have to worry about keeping track of it, I know exactly where it is. It is light enough that it doesn't require a belt and works with jeans or drawstring pants or shorts. If I am out and about I usually wear a compact 9 AIWB. I may sometimes have trouble keeping up with my cell phone, wallet, or keys, but I always know where my pistol is.

I'm just being real here. While I do like guns, I don't particularly enjoy carrying one

Yep, exactly how I feel. I have carried for years now and carrying is never as comfortable as not carrying, physically anyway. Mentally, the firearm obviously provides me a sense of security. As for carrying while I am at home, I don't, probably never will but I understand why people do. To each their own.

I hate my cell phone and can't stand my wad of keys. I tolerate my wallet. My gun is about on-par with my cell phone and I use it much much less!

I'm just being real here. While I do like guns, I don't particularly enjoy carrying one.

The good thing is that when I am at home I just pocket carry my P3AT and have my cell phone with me. Gotta be comfortable when at home!

While I do like guns, I don't particularly enjoy carrying one.

and:

Gotta be comfortable when at home!

I have to agree. My solution (So far; the search may be endless) is an unobtrusive holster. Specifically, a Don Hume JIT slide holster sized for the 1911. When I’m around the house I’m usually clad in my cargo shorts with pocket polo shirt over and the holster/gun worn at about the 8:30 position for cross draw. My P32 drops right in, is secure, and I hardly notice it, even when lounging on the couch watching the "news".

As an added comfort, if I decide to go out, it's easy to change:

Outside (lawn work, etc.), I don my work pants (retired jeans or khakis) with pocket polo and put my Star M40 in the JIT slide which is already attached to the pants.

or:

Out and around, to grocery or the like, I wear my “dress” jeans (the ones with no holes in them ;)) and a Pocket Polo shirt worn untucked with my Para Ord LDA Carry 45 in the JIT slide (as above, already attached: I have three of these, maybe four. They are not expensive).

Works for me.

Will

I have kids, I have neighbors, I have an active lifestyle that just does not allow me to carry 100% of the time at home. If I leave the house, I carry. If I am in the house I do not. Not to imply that some do, but I choose not to live in fear. I am prepared for the worst to happen, but I make choices and decide when it is worth it to carry and when it isn't.

If someone came into my backyard and started shooting, might I regret it? I would. But would I definitely regret not being able to tackle my 5 year old or get in a hose fight with my wife or any number of other scenarios that are simply not practical for carrying around the house? YES.

That said I do have means of self defense within a few yards most of the time. And a vicious labrador that will lick any intruder to the bone !

My choice.

Very well said.

No wife or kids here anymore, but I fondly remember those days!

Well, I know a dude who knows a dude who's the next-door-neighbor of a dude (actually a 70+ something widower) who is said to wear nothing while going about his business inside his house - but who always keeps a loaded M1 Garand within reach ... particularly at night, while lounging nude in his "comfy" chair by the fireplace, dog at his side, and watching a blaring DVD. :eek:

When it comes to weapons and at-home behavior, some folks are just all about their preferences and peculiars ... :cool:

I think if a man wants to relax in his own home nekkid it is OK with me. If his weapon of choice while doing so is an M1 Garand so be it. A 1911 would be a good supplemental choice while keeping the same nostalgic theme.:D

Constantine, I tried to clarify my statement, but maybe you didn't read that.

I am not saying anyone here is hiding in their house armed to the teeth because any second someone is going to come after them... though I know some of those people that choose paranoia (extreme) and it impedes their ability to enjoy life.

Again, it is everyone's choice, and a decision we all have to make. Personally, with my circumstances, I choose not to be armed 24/7. If I lived in a really scary part of the world, or there was some kind of major shift in this country/state, maybe I would think differently. Preeeettttty sure I get an opinion, correct me if I'm wrong :D

Constantine, I tried to clarify my statement, but maybe you didn't read that.

To be fair, I didn't read that apparent clarification.

To also be fair, with the rest of your post, nothing was really "clarified" much.

Of course you get an opinion! Silly, silly, man...

I wish you would reconsider though. I also wish my fiance would get the ball rolling on her CWP. Can't have it all, huh? lol. Be safe!

As I read this I am sitting safely at home wearing a Ruger LC9s in a shoulder holster. I just got the holster yesterday.

I often carry around the house, not because I feel threatened, but to get used to carrying. That's what I'm doing now. Getting used to the feel of the holster and a new carry method. I did the same when I got a kydex IWB holster for it a few months ago, and again when the new OWB holster arrived. I do this for about a month with each new gun/holster combo.

This way when I leave the house and have to choose an all-day carry method, I won't have to adjust and be uncomfortable. And, it doesn't hurt anything to have my LC9s handy, even if I do feel safe.

Yep

I say yes, but it's purely out of self defense, and I can give a specific example. I had taken my carry piece off and left it in the house to do some maintenance work on my vehicle. I was polishing the headlights when out of nowhere a loose dog came up and attacked me in my own driveway.

After being bitten by the Bandog, and bleeding like a stuck pig, I was forced to defend myself with the cordless drill I was using to polish my headlights.

Now I make it a point to wear a gun when I'm at home, particularly when I'm outside in front of the fenced area. Doing yard work and other similar activities make for some uncomfortable carrying though.

* * * I can give a specific example. I had taken my carry piece off and left it in the house to do some maintenance work on my vehicle. I was polishing the headlights when out of nowhere a loose dog came up and attacked me in my own driveway. After being bitten by the Bandog, and bleeding like a stuck pig, I was forced to defend myself with the cordless drill I was using to polish my headlights.

Good gawd, man, that's yet another reason to keep an M1 always within reach - in '06 or 7.62, doesn't matter.

It'll keep unwanted, aggressive pooches OFF your driveway, along with anything else that you don't happen to need aggravation from at the moment.

Just do it. You can thank me later. :D

Last edited:
Good gawd, man, that's yet another reason to keep an M1 always within reach - in '06 or 7.62, doesn't matter.

Indeed! if you do a Google search for "Bandog" you'll see the kind of animal it was. I may be old and fat, but I managed to fight off the beast. I did have to make a trip to Urgent Care though. The fight lasted long enough that I had time to wish I had not taken off my holstered handgun earlier and left it in the house.

Last edited:
Nothing says "Stay the hell off my lawn!" like working around the house while open carrying! ;) I generally carry a gun around the house. I tend to run to the store or run other sudden errands and its a PITA to have to go fetch a gun before doing whatever needs doing.

Then too....when civilians need firearms they tend to need them suddenly and badly.

Back