Should I Sell my Glock 19?

Yes, that’s generally how most firearms work. Trigger pressed to the rear and firearm goes boom. Some pistols have manual safeties. Manual safeties can only compensate for negligence so much.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not on my Bersa 380 when the de-cocker lever is down. It doubles as a safety and the trigger is totally, absolutely disabled, you can pull it all day long and nothing will happen, and the hammer is also blocked in case the hammer is snagged.

Not on my Bersa 380 when the de-cocker lever is down. It doubles as a safety and the trigger is totally, absolutely disabled, you can pull it all day long and nothing will happen, and the hammer is also blocked in case the hammer is snagged.

Hence the manual safeties I mentioned.

That you like your Bersa is great. I had one too some years back. If you want to start a thread where you educate all of us about the dangers of Glocks you can do that (we haven’t had one in a while). My guess is that at this point that the OP has fully heard your concern. Rather than keep going back and forth about the virtues of manual safeties I’m going to call it a day.

Not that difficult to accidentally disengage a manual safety either. Any mechanical device is subject to failure in the right circumstances.

Not that difficult to accidentally disengage a manual safety either. Any mechanical device is subject to failure in the right circumstances.

And there have been plenty of very successful pistols over the years with manual safeties that are objectively less safe than Glocks - specifically the vast majority of semi-autos built before firing pin safeties (or other reliable drop safeties) became commonplace.

And there have been plenty of very successful pistols over the years with manual safeties that are objectively less safe than Glocks - specifically the vast majority of semi-autos built before firing pin safeties (or other reliable drop safeties) became commonplace.
Oh-oh, now I have to throw another hand grenade in the manure pile and stir things up again. :)

This is precisely why I will never carry my 1911 in the vaunted "cocked and locked" mode, and only carry it in the VERY robust and VERY safe "half cock" notch that Browning originally designed for that purpose. In that mode there is no safety involved to be accidentally disengaged, you can't pull the trigger, and you would have to beat on the hammer with a sledge hammer hard enough to break the hammer before it would fire.

Now that I have stirred the hornet's nest, I'm running off to hide again. :):eek:

I bought a first generation 23 during the Janet Reno years, had it about 10 years and sold it, it didn't take long for regret to set in.
Years later I bought a Lew Horton gen 4 and feel whole again.
It's hard to fall in love with a Glock, even with a trigger job they still suck, it's hard to shoot accurately really fast with one and the blockyness makes them hard to conceal.
That being said they're pretty reliable, I like the sights and they hold a lot of ammunition, if it gets stolen out of your vehicle your out 600.00 instead of 1200. you have in that pistol you love.
Short version-keep it.
Mine.

So after several years I like my Lew Horton 19 a little better with a flared magazine well, adjustable sights, aftermarket trigger and extended slide release. It's definitely not on par with a semi-custom 1911 but I like it for motorcyle trips and trips through war zones{used to be called downtown in most cities}. At one time I thought the 32rd mag I have was just a novelty, maybe not.:(

I retired in 1989 just about the time MSP switched from wheel guns to a Sig 226, 9mm. Left before they had the week long transition training which I wished I had taken.

MSP stuck with Sigs for almost 30 years and just switched to Glock 17s (I felt that they should have choosed the model 19s however).

Trooper Joe

So after several years I like my Lew Horton 19 a little better with a flared magazine well, adjustable sights, aftermarket trigger and extended slide release. It's definitely not on par with a semi-custom 1911 but I like it for motorcyle trips and trips through war zones{used to be called downtown in most cities}. At one time I thought the 32rd mag I have was just a novelty, maybe not.:(
Which trigger did you go with? I'm playing around with trigger combinations right now but at the moment, I like the stock configuration after I heavily polished it. It has a bit of take up and a nice clean break.

I emailed with johnny glock and he recommended I use his modified 5.5lb connector with a 5 lb striker spring for the most crisp feel/break. It will never be the glass rod of a 1911, no striker pistol will ever be due to the way they function, but I can't say it's a bad trigger. More than good enough for accurate and fast shooting for defensive/combat purposes.

I'm sure in Competition a tuned 1911 will make a big difference in the right hands over a glock trigger, but with the right combination of connector/trigger bar/spring and a bit of polishing I think a glock trigger can be on part with any other striker gun on the market.

Jman841

I don't recall whose trigger parts I used, what the local gunshop had, the kit didn't replace the trigger itself just some parts inside that I hand fitted.
It's an unremarkable trigger, a friend has a 23 that a gunsmith did that's really good for a Glock, mine isn't even close to his. It's a self defense gun and as such I don't care if it's not the best Glock trigger I've ever tried, I can hit a USPSA/ IPSC silhouette target at 50yds most of the time, good enough.

Glock is right around 6 out of the box. A S&W J Frame is between 10 and 11 out of the box. If someone is not comfortable carrying a Glock, then they should not. I used to be the same way and only carried revolvers or guns with a manual safety.

I’ve also bought a number of pistols over the years that I was convinced I would like to the point they’d replace something else only to be disappointed in that assumption.

That's the truest thing I've read on the internet in a long time. But seriously, get the CZ and see if you like. Only then should you sell the Glock.

Ps. I'm a huge CZ buff and I'm guessing you'll like the P07, but the trigger isn't spectacular. If you want a spectacular trigger, get a M&P and put an Apex Trigger in it. That combination will give you the BEST striker trigger you can get.

...it may come in handy one day...soon...

20 years ago I would have called this statement "looney". Today, it's far from it.

KEEP the Glock. It's like money in the bank even if the POTUS is re-elected and sanity ever returns to this country.

I would keep the Glock 19 because you can find a number of pistol caliber carbines that share the same 9mm magazines. Ruger, Troy, Stag Arms, etc.

Good point, I decided to keep the 19 and did a bit of trigger work on it. It now has the trigger setup how I like it and it's still the pistol I shoot best. I don't own any custom 1911's or target guns to compare it with, but for a combat pistol, I am very comfortable with it.

I will wait to get the P07 for prices to come back to normal and then decide afterwards to sell or keep both.

Thanks for all the insight. Glad to see, as much hate as Glock gets, at the end of the day, people still love them.

Don't sell it. You'll regret it. I do see a bunch of people using the current demand to make a buck. Lots of "as-new" guns being sold on Gunbroker and such that surely were bought at Academy or something on sale and now for sale for hundreds more. Don't be that guy.

Back