Should I Sell my Glock 19?

jman841

I realize this is a personal preference question but figured I would ask the group.

I've had a Gen 4 Glock 19 for about 9 years now and with the current market situation, it seems I could sell it for more than I paid for it or about the same price (I got it blue label when I was in the Army).

My reason for selling would be to replace it with a CZ P07 which I love the looks, features, and function of and don't have a need for two firearms of the same size/role (Home defense, concealed carry, do it all compact 9mm pistol). Money is not the issue as I can afford to own but, I just prefer not to have firearms in redundant roles without a need for it.

My Glock 19 is extremely reliable now (At first it was not), and I shoot it well, but I am not in love with the Glock anymore, but, it's a perfectly serviceable firearm that has served me well, but tired of the mediocre trigger, blocky feel, and high grip angle.

Thoughts on this? Has anyone sold their Glock and later regretted it?

What Jim Watson said. I have sold several firarms over the years, usually to get the next best thing. I have almost always regretted it. My rule is this. I will never sell a gun again, unless I just hate the gun. Buy the CZ, EDC for a month, get some range time in. Then and only then decide if you want to sell the glock.

My experience has been that if I liked it enough to buy it the first time there was likely a reason. I’ve also bought a number of pistols over the years that I was convinced I would like to the point they’d replace something else only to be disappointed in that assumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t sell my G-19 but it’s always your prerogative to sell yours. I’d argue that the CZ P-07 fulfills every intended purpose that the Glock fulfills, and is a worthy replacement for a Glock 19 if you can’t or don’t want to own both.

I’d be curious to learn what the trade value of the 19 is towards the P-07, I’m thinking you’re probably going to have to throw some cash into that deal.

Thanks for the input, I think that's a good course of action, the only reason I wanted to sell right away is they are going for $500+ for used Gen 4 Glock 19's on Armslist as it's nearly impossible to find glocks at gun stores here right now.

Once inventory is back at stores the value of my Gen 4 Glock 19 will most likely be less.

I might upgrade the trigger as the overwatch prevision DAT is only $50 and see if I enjoy it more with an aftermarket trigger.

Yeah I can understand that it would be tempting. The only problem would be if you do sell it now replacing it soon wouldn’t be that easy. Even if the Covid panic dies down, it will soon be election panic.

If you do not like it, sell it. I just put my Gen 3 up for sale at my LGS. Thought I was going to love it, but cannot get a decent grip with those finger grooves and it has sat in the safe after firing maybe 3-400 rounds through it. Hoping it goes to a good home where someone needs it.

Yeah I can understand that it would be tempting. The only problem would be if you do sell it now replacing it soon wouldn’t be that easy. Even if the Covid panic dies down, it will soon be election panic.

With that in mind, I may have more time than I think to get a premium for the Glock.

I'll hold onto it for a bit more and I really can't complain about it as I shoot it well, better than most other pistols I've tried, but it could simply be that I've shot more rounds through it than any other pistol.

I'm with the "keep it until you have tried out the new gun crowd". Once you have put a few hundred rounds through the new gun then decide what you want to do, the prices my go up with the elections? I think with the elections coming up its just another reason to keep it. I've got thousands of rounds through my Gen2 G19 and would never think of selling it.

Buy the CZ and only if you like it as well as you think you will, then sell the Glock.

I’d NOT sell the Glock even if you went all in and ordered a Pro Grade CZ P-07.

Check for magazine availability at the moment and let that be your guide.

I like a CGW P-07 more so than a Gen 5 19 so I “feel” the OP but you cannot find magazines which is called “a clue”.

Let’s reverse time to 2017.... buy and convert your P-07s. Get five of them. Get 15 magazines per pistol. Have a pocket full of spare parts. I’d smile and I’d approve of the path.

But to try to start over now?

Nope.

It’s a Glock world for a reason. It may not be “the best” but it’s close enough in most appreciable categories and you can find mags and replacement parts.

Thanks for the input, I think that's a good course of action, the only reason I wanted to sell right away is they are going for $500+ for used Gen 4 Glock 19's on Armslist as it's nearly impossible to find glocks at gun stores here right now.

Once inventory is back at stores the value of my Gen 4 Glock 19 will most likely be less.

I might upgrade the trigger as the overwatch prevision DAT is only $50 and see if I enjoy it more with an aftermarket trigger.
2 questions

1 what were used G19s going for previously? basically how much more would you really
get?

2 what makes you think the prices on glocks will get cheaper in the future? Every time
there has been a panic buy, over all, prices seem to go up and stay up. they will never
be as cheap as they were.

I'm going to say no, and here's why... Folks are always waxing poetic about firearms they wish they had never sold, firearms they took for granted and traded in for another gun, it's the oldest story ever.

Don't become one of those guys. Keep your Glock and buy a CZ P07 later.

2 questions

1 what were used G19s going for previously? basically how much more would you really
get?

2 what makes you think the prices on glocks will get cheaper in the future? Every time
there has been a panic buy, over all, prices seem to go up and stay up. they will never
be as cheap as they were.
This is a good question, I do not know. To be completely honest I have just gotten back into the hobby last year. While I have always shot, I did not get deep into the hobby and had not thought of selling previously. After learning about the massive amount of new options on the market that seem to be great improvements over my Gen 4 Glock 19, I am looking to "upgrade". When I bought it, It was a pretty clear choice. There was some other firearms on the market that were competitive, but the Glock had the clear win in a lot of things that were important to me. The landscape has changed a ton and the options on the market today seem to be really incredible for the prices and for production firearms.

Looking at prices for Gen 4 Glock 19's with night sights (I put a fresh set on last year, so they are nice and bright) going for $500-$550, which is on par with a new Gen 5 Glock 19 with standard sights, I can't imagine them had for these prices previously. I would guess $400-$450.

I think that's a good point thought, worst case scenario I am out $50-100 if I wait vs. selling now.

Also, another good point, right now is not a great time to buy firearms as prices are high and discounts are far and few between.

I guess I can customize it to my liking (upgrade trigger shoe, polish internals in order to get the trigger pull more crisp and smooth) and I already have a ton of mags, holsters, .22lr conversion kit, etc. for it as it's been my primary pistol for the last 9 years.

Seems like waiting is the best option.

I’m with the crowd that is encouraging you to buy the P-07 and shoot it before you decide to sell one or they other. You may actually change your mind about having two the same size. They will not feel the same, one being striker, the other hammer-fired.

Another “experiment” you may want to try is picking up a G17 magazine or two and an appropriate number of X-Grip extenders. These also make the G19 feel different and offer a capacity advantage (if you are in a free state) at the expense of concealability when that mag is in the gun.

Buy the CZ if you like, but keep the Glock. I sold two G 19’s and just bought another one. They just work and you can get so much aftermarket stuff to go with it.

Do I like it - yes or no?

If no - then sell it (or trade it)

If yes- then how much will it cost to replace it in the future?

Simple...

I've had a Gen 4 Glock 19 for about 9 years now and with the current market situation, it seems I could sell it for more than I paid for it or about the same price (I got it blue label when I was in the Army).

My reason for selling would be to replace it with a CZ P07 which I love the looks, features, and function of and don't have a need for two firearms of the same size/role (Home defense, concealed carry, do it all compact 9mm pistol). Money is not the issue as I can afford to own but, I just prefer not to have firearms in redundant roles without a need for it.
Remember your Army training Soldier:

Two is one, one is none!

It's always essential to have a backup firearm in the same caliber as your primary firearm.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to hold onto it for now and wait to grab the P07 for the gun apocalypse to be over.

I do plan on picking up a sub-compact 9mm for dedicated carry use as well. Have not decided on which one yet but it does seem that everyone loves the Sig P365.

Probably pick up the sub-compact 9mm next, then when I find a good deal on the P07, sell the Glock after confirming I like the P07 more.

My reason for selling would be to replace it with a CZ P07 which I love the looks, features, and function of and don't have a need for two firearms of the same size/role (Home defense, concealed carry, do it all compact 9mm pistol).

Two is one, one is none!

This.^

I own a Glock 19 and a P07. I wouldn't get rid of either. They both have their positives and negatives, but both are excellent pistols.

Back