Should I ever buy a non-9mm pistol?

Which non-9mm handgun type should I buy?

• .380 in concealed carry role, semi-auto

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • .357 revolver

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • .40 S&W in full-sized semi-auto

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 10mm & .40 S&W in a revolver

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 10mm in semi-auto

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • .45 ACP in semi-auto

Votes: 49 32.0%
  • .45 ACP in a revolver

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • .45 ACP to .460 S&W in a revolver

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Stick with 9mm handguns and use long guns for everything else

Votes: 21 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really want to know what calibers people think are "special" enough to stand out.

Sir, I've only read the first page of responses, so if someone else has suggested this forgive me. First the 9 M/M auto is equal to the 38 special. One caliber that will serve many different roles, and do a decent job with most of those roles. If you are happy with the 9 M/M stay with that round.

If you wish to expand your handgun choices, I'll suggest a .357 Magnum revolver, which should safely fire a wide selection of ammo, everything from "mild to wild" loads.

I may be biased, note my screen name, but I believe that the threat to humans from bear attacks is greatly over worried about. Yes attacks can and do happen, but, sadly, I would be more worried about human attacks than bear attacks.

Last edited:
What cost is associated with keeping ammo on hand? I suppose if you had to rent a storage unit for your ammo...

Presumably this means that it is cheaper to maintain store of around 3000rds (for the sake of comparison) of 9mm for unforeseen shortages/rainy days than it is to keep, say 1000rds of 9, .380, .38Spl., .357M, .45ACP etc consistently on tap.

In the first case, Darkerloaf would have 3000rds for any of his/her firearms, whereas in the latter case, there'd only be 1000rds per calibre, yet 6000 to buy total and most would cost more than the 9mm to begin with...

Last edited:
Pond, James Pond: "Presumably this means that it is cheaper to maintain store of around 3000rds (for the sake of comparison) of 9mm for unforeseen shortages/rainy days than it is to keep, say 1000rds of 9, .380, .38Spl., .357M, .45ACP etc consistently on tap.

In the first case, Darkerloaf would have 3000rds for any of his/her firearms, whereas in the latter case, there'd only be 1000rds per calibre, yet 6000 to buy total and most would cost more than the 9mm to begin with..."

Yes. Exactly. I'm already stocking 9mm, .22 LR, 12 gauge, .223, and 7.62x39. Mostly, I only shoot 9mm, .223, and 7.62x39mm. If you shoot a lot but you still want a buffer, switching calibers dramatically increases your costs. If I just wanted safe-queens, then having caliber X, Y, or Z would be no problem. You stock a few hundred rounds, shoot it 50 times a year and be done with it. But, that's not the kind of person I am. I don't want to own something that I won't push 1,000 rounds or so through it a year. While I do have a collection, I am no collector. I may own some nice guns, but I shoot them all. I'd rather have a nicer 9mm, in general (think $1,000 to $2,000), and shoot it a lot. I'd also rather have fewer, nicer guns than a whole lot of similar lower cost guns. That's why if I do go beyond 9mm, I want to really think my decision through, buy a good gun or two, and then invest in that caliber.

And that's why I love TFL! I get to hear from all you great people, learn, and try to make informed decisions.

Last edited:
old bear: "I may be biased, note my screen name, but I believe that the threat to humans from bear attacks is greatly over worried about. Yes attacks can and do happen, but, sadly, I would be more worried about human attacks than bear attacks."

I agree. Only once have I felt threatenedish by a bear. Walking down from Exit Glacier our path was blocked by a black bear. We were with a ~6 person group. Sadly, I'd left my loaner .357 Blackhawk in the car because at the time, guns were not allowed in national parks. However, luckily, a stranger was there with a GP-100 so we had something, but we did not resort to violence. We simply had to yell at the bear until it unblocked our route and it left.

So, that's why I mention a G43 as a woods gun because it is a light gun, I'm a backpacker, so weight is a concern, and 9mm is decent enough for two-legged threats. And in a pinch, I'll have something for black bear. The people I backpack with have more money in backpacking gear than I do in guns, so weight is at a premium. In the backpacking world, lighter is better and lighter means a LOT more $$$. We are talking $500 up for sleeping bags, tents, backpacks, hammocks, etc... My backpacking gear is all older and heavier but functional, so if I add something like a .460 S&W that's many pounds that I'd be adding equal to the weight of an entire system like a sleeping bag, tent, food, or water. I've thought about bringing my 23.1 oz carry 9mm but I was already overburdened relative to my backpacking buddies, so I left it at home on the last trip. I've brought my XD 9mm with me (28 oz) on trips before, but I was traveling with similarly kitted (think heavy/burdened) backpackers, not 'Leet ones like I usually back back with.

That being said, if I invest a few $1,000 in new backpacking gear, I might be able to suffer a few extra pounds from a heavy revolver or pistol. In terms of weight and power, a G20 or G40 might be a happy medium between a heavy revolver and a featherweight backpacking gun. A G40 with a 6" barrel (preferable because my state has a 5 1/2" minimum barrel length for hunting) only weighs 28.15 oz. That's lighter than even an alloyed framed, full-size .357.

NOTE: I've had time on 10mm through an EAA Match Witness and a G20. I've also shot a variety of .357 as well.

Last edited:
The best gun to pack in bear country is shaped like a can of pepper spray. If we are gonna wander off into the weeds of which gun is best for bear, don't pack anything smaller than a 44 magnum and expect to win the fight. Only an idiot would go up against that particular beast with anything less. You're hearing this from an old fart who's bagged three black bears with a 44 magnum in his lifetime and was scared sh#tless at the bear's relentless advance each time... this was before the advent of the 460 and 500. The .44 magnum against a bear is not a sure thing, but it sure is a rush...

Based on the rationale in post #44, then it seems the likes of a Glock 10mm would still be a good idea.

But OK, I'm going out on a limb here as I recognise the quest for the lightest package possible when travelling, particularly on foot.
If indeed 2-tegs are a bigger threat, then why not opt for a Ruger LCR in .22Mag or the LCRx in .38Spl and as suggested, pepper-spray for the animals.

Last edited:
Hey Loaf, you're thinking about this backwards. You should own at least one firearm from every caliber. I voted 1911A1.

Dude spread the wealth, you have all your eggs in one basket! Variety is the spice of life! You didn't give the correct option in the poll. Need to have something in every major caliber:cool:. During the last shortage it was easy to find something in a caliber. Not easy was finding something in a specific caliber when you needed/wanted it. I personally go after different actions caliber be damned.

If you do only one caliber for pistols why not one caliber for rifles as well? Had to ask that one.... lol:D

If ammo cost is the primary consideration, consider that 9 mm is the cheapest of any center fire ammo and stay with 9 mm.

If you find yourself not carrying when none of your 9 mm pistols fits your wardrobe needs, get a small pocket .380 like an LCP or a Sig P238.

If you want to round out your collection a bit (pun intended) get a nice .38 or .357 Special revolver for some variety.

If you want to decrease the consideration of ammo cost for future purchases, spend your money on a Lee Classic Turret press, a set of dies, a scale, and some components. You will spend a similar amount of money as if you bought a decent pistol, you can add calibers for the 50 or 60 bucks that it costs for a set of dies and a turret, and all of your ammo will be cheaper than what you pay for 9 mm.

Pond, James Pond: "But OK, I'm going out on a limb here as I recognise the quest for the lightest package possible when travelling, particularly on foot.
If indeed 2-tegs are a bigger threat, then why not opt for a Ruger LCR in .22Mag or the LCRx in .38Spl and as suggested, pepper-spray for the animals."

I've looked hard at .22 Mag/.22 LR kit guns before, but what currently stops me is the lack of availability for .22 LR/.22 Mag ammunition. It seems only hoarders and the big box stores carry them now, which is one of the reason I stick to 9mm when I shoot. .22 Mag/.22 LR snubs have always been an interest to me, but until the market place for .22's changes, I'm going to stick with cheap centerfire calibers instead.

That, and thickness for concealed carry is of a primary concern for me, second only to weight. I worry that I won't carry a .22 revolver (except for back-packing). I feel like if I go for a back-packing caliber (think small guns), I'd be best served by a Kahr P380, a Glock 42, or the like. Just as light as a snub, but flat and thin so I'd get some concealed carry use out of it, too.

rtpzwms: "If you do only one caliber for pistols why not one caliber for rifles as well? Had to ask that one.... lol"

The short answer is "yes, sort of." I've got .22 LR, .223, and 7.62x39mm in rifles. Guess what? I've looked long and hard about adding 9mm to this, but essentially I'll only stick with common calibers. Someday, I'll upgrade to a .308/7.62x51mm because it is one of the cheapest, hardest-hitting rounds out there and it's very available.

Just like a government or military, I like commonality between my guns. A 9mm rifle is appealing because I'll already have plenty of cheap 9mm on hand. .223 and 7.62x39 are up there with 9mm in terms of cheapness in the rifle world. .308 isn't as cheap as those, but you can still get .380 at sub-$1-per-round prices, making it cheaper than most other calibers.

TailGator: "If you want to round out your collection a bit (pun intended) get a nice .38 or .357 Special revolver for some variety.

If you want to decrease the consideration of ammo cost for future purchases, spend your money on a Lee Classic Turret press, a set of dies, a scale, and some components. You will spend a similar amount of money as if you bought a decent pistol, you can add calibers for the 50 or 60 bucks that it costs for a set of dies and a turret, and all of your ammo will be cheaper than what you pay for 9 mm."

Regarding revolvers: I already own a S&W 986... chambered in (you guessed it!) 9mm. Heck, I could get a Ruger Blackhawk with a 9mm cylinder if I really wanted to shoot SAO revolver.

Regarding handloading, this caliber discussion is important to because it may push me into handloading, but if I were to do that, once again, I'd like to stick with the shortest list possible for calibers because I'd still be multiplying my initial expense by having to buy reloading equipment for a variety of calibers. Ideally, I'd only be adding 1 or 2 two different pistol calibers to my collection even with handloading. I've been saving 9mm brass, so you can bet if I got into handloading that I'd be reloading for 9mm mainly.

.22 pistol for beginners? I would like to mention that caliber doesn't determine proficiency.

Sometimes the caliber a handgun was designed for may be desirable. In that case a 1911 pattern pistol, if one is desired, may be best had in .45 ACP, etc.

Chris_B: ".22 pistol for beginners? I would like to mention that caliber doesn't determine proficiency."

I agree completely. My excellent full-custom Ruger 22/45 is one of my favorite guns. I just don't shoot it because of the lack of availability of .22 LR. I save that ammunition so I have something I can train new shooters on; I happen to take a lot of new shooters out--it's one of life's simple pleasures for me. I have no problem paying 9mm prices for my own plinking and enjoyment.

TMD said:
A one caliber collection. ...I'd rather eat chicken and broccoli every day for the rest of my life

I'd rather eat cabbage and oatmeal only for the rest of my life......:o

One caliber...unthinkable.....

I just don't shoot it because of the lack of availability of .22 LR.

22 LR is available at reasonable prices (for current prices) via the web. Our local big box store now has a limit of 2000 rounds per person per day. I've purchased 4000 rounds this week alone. I'll get some more late this month or early July. When I asked they had 7 pallets in the back. Its all CCI and Federal but the shelves have been full for the past 2 weeks.:D

If you have stringent requirements for concealment, you may find that you can't find something small enough in 9mm that works reliably for you. The smaller a gun is, the more issues there tend to be with reliability and while you can get very tiny 9mms, reliability issues become more prevalent.

Also, variety is the spice of life. If you want a .44Mag just to make noise at the range once in awhile, why not?

Back