Should I ever buy a non-9mm pistol?

Which non-9mm handgun type should I buy?

• .380 in concealed carry role, semi-auto

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • .357 revolver

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • .40 S&W in full-sized semi-auto

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 10mm & .40 S&W in a revolver

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 10mm in semi-auto

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • .45 ACP in semi-auto

Votes: 49 32.0%
  • .45 ACP in a revolver

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • .45 ACP to .460 S&W in a revolver

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Stick with 9mm handguns and use long guns for everything else

Votes: 21 13.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Like I said only if you want it to be you can talk yourself out of wearing pants if you want. Kinetic energy at 9mm levels is largely irrelevant, 9mm really won't produce enough KE with a load that has enough inertia to penetrate adequately.

I've been struggling when looking at additions to my collection.

Why? Simply buy what you want or like, such as that 10mm...

If I have a 9mm only collection is there ever a compelling reason to own an non-9mm pistol?

I cant think of any compelling reason to have a 9mm-only collection.... there are far too many other uses for a pistol beyond self defense from humans and/or the capabilities of 9mm.

At a very basic starting point, shooting up "stuff" at a unsupervised range is much more fun with a 40, 10mm or 45.

Slimjim9: I've read some stuff around TFL about .40 fired out of a 10mm Glock. Honestly, that might push me off the fence. That'd be the .38 spl of 10m. .40 S&W is available and was plentiful during the shortages. .40 is close to 9mm prices. That's why I was looking at .40/10mm revolvers, but a G40 or G20 would better suit my needs in general.

I've owned a 10mm in the past, an EAA Match Witness with 5" barrel and an extra 6" barrel for legal hunting in my state. However, I had nothing but problems with the gun. At the time, my money was short and I was inexperienced, and I sold the gun rather than waste more money and time troubleshooting it (I had already sent it to the factory once). Since then, I've stayed 9mm. Ironically, I had bought the EAA hoping to make that my primary gun, and I bought an XD V-10 4" in 9mm at the same time for cheaper bullets and practice. What I found was the XD was by far the superior gun in terms of reliability. Glocks hold the same esteem in my mind.

"I can't think of any compelling reason to have a 9mm-only collection.... there are far too many other uses for a pistol beyond self defense from humans and/or the capabilities of 9mm."

Well, since you probably have never experienced the joys of a 9mm only collection, then you wouldn't understand. There's great beauty in knowing that you can stock up with one caliber and shoot any of your guns. That's why I want to make my choices beyond 9mm very carefully, and only stock 1-2 centerfire calibers beyond 9mm.

I have the same philosophy for long guns, and likely, I will never own a non-military caliber for rifles: .223/5.56, 7.62x39, and .308/7.62x51. I could see getting a very accurate bolt gun in a non-military caliber, and I'll probably inherit some, too. But it's is really nice to be able to feel like I can shoot my guns and not cry about the costs.

I'm with you on limiting calibers.
I've done a lot of messing around with 9mm. My hot defense load just isn't the same thing in the Glock 26 and the 17L. In the 26, MV is 1,150. In the 17L, it's 1,400. I was showing a friend the difference between his FMJ ammo and my defensive load one day. I blew a 5 lb. watermelon completely into tiny chunks with one shot. Works for me. I don't live where there are bears, or even any larger critters to hunt. There's nothing at all to hunt in the Western deserts, due to the drought. For what I've come to expect from a handgun, the 9mm is "it".
I have an LCP that lives in the car, and a Ruger .22/45 which serves the same purpose as your .22 pistol.
I like my AR's, both in 5.56, and my AK in 7.62x39.
That just "does it" for me.
If I could get .22LR ammo at a sane price, I'd be shooting my 10/.22's, but that's on indefinite hold....

Regular Joe: That pretty much sums me up! 9mm has become my .22 LR indefinitely, and I've got .223/7.62x39 for anything that would require that kind of power. It makes sense that on a forum of gun-lovers, people would decry simplicity as bland. But to me, 9mm still offers the widest variety of guns, down to single-action revolvers, which keeps me interested.

So, it's got to be significantly different than 9mm to be compelling to me.

A long slide 9mm is something that has been missing from my collection for a long time. I should probably take my S&W 986 and chrony it though, because it might approach a 6" semi-auto barrel (it's got a 5 1/2" barrel).

NOTE: I have zero disrespect for those who love caliber variety. I just have tried to plan my collection in a little different way that gives me some perceived benefits in terms of cost and simplicity.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I made a mistake in buying the 10mm. My primary reasoning in purchasing firearms was to fulfill a certain role. I had 22's for the small stuff, a 12 gauge to shoot winged creatures and a 30-06 for large game.

When it came to pistols, I got a 10mm and that was the end of it. I couldn't rationalize getting a .45 because the 10 could do what the 45 could with out trying. High cap 9mms were out because the mag capacity on the 10 is ridiculous considering the amount of fire power it contains. A 40?...LOL

So you see? If you get the 10, there really won't be a rational reason (other than you want variety) to get anything else.

"If I have a 9mm only collection is there ever a compelling reason to own an non-9mm pistol?"

Almost 2,000 reasons, 1911 to be exact.

Sounds like you are smarter than me! I did the same thing, but in 45, but had to add a 45 LC, 357 mag, 40 s&w and 380 for specialized roles. Had I gone 9mm, I could have eliminated the 40 and maybe 380 plus cut reloading costs to a third!

Its interesting that the highest other recommendation by far is the 357 revolver.
Of course hunting and large predator defense is the rationale, but I still would have expected the 1911/45acp to be the more popular option.

Ruger480, stop it! You'll fool me into going out and buying a 10mm! I owned one in the past because past 9mm, 10mm would do MOST everything I want. Those G40's are looking mighty tempting...

That's really what I want, just one pistol caliber beyond 9mm, then rifles/shotguns for everything else.

Nathan said, "Sounds like you are smarter than me! I did the same thing, but in 45, but had to add a 45 LC, 357 mag, 40 s&w and 380 for specialized roles. Had I gone 9mm, I could have eliminated the 40 and maybe 380 plus cut reloading costs to a third!"

Well, I was lucky. I bought a 10mm and a 9mm at the same time. I bought the 9mm based on local pricing. I sold the 10mm because money was short and the gun choked every mag that I ever put through it, even after a factory visit. Buying that 9mm was the best gun purchasing decision I've made and it has kept me away from anything else for almost 10 years.

The Hound: .45's were a head for a long time, and I too am surprised that .357's snuck ahead so soundly. I think it's because of the nature of the thread. .45's just aren't much different than 9's. The only reason I'd be interested in a .45 ACP is as a reduced cost version of a .45 LC, .454, or .460 at this point. At least .357's do something significantly different than a 9.

I am the mighty OP! The 10mm in question was a EAA Match Witness. I can't speak to every EAA out there, as I know other people on TFL will tell you that theirs runs fine... But what I had happen was that 3-4 round per 10 to 15 round mag would jam the gun.

I was inexperienced then, so I can't say that I completely vetted the gun. It could have easily been the ammo. What I would guess was that the 10mm that I had my hands on was weak. And at the time, I kind of knew that the ammo could have been the problem, and probably I should have tried more types of ammunition. However, considering the sorted history of 10mm (starting out in full power loads, then quickly becoming watered down), a 10mm gun should probably be tuned to run .40 S&W style loads and full-power 10mm.

I had sent the gun back into the factory, where they claimed nothing was wrong. Sending a gun back into a factory, as you may come to learn, sucks, especially with a pistol because most companies have a policy that they must be sent as quickly as possible. So, after getting it back in a still non-functioning state, I decided to sell the gun. 10mm isn't available in most stores here and is quite expensive, and trouble shooting it just became an expensive headache.

As many people on TFL will tell you, .44 mag is significantly more powerful than 10mm. 10mm doesn't really approach centerfire rifles like even .223 in terms of energy. .44 mag gets you into .223 in terms of energy.

To me 10mm has some advantages when compared to the .44 mag, though. It is fairly controllable, when firing quickly. 10mm isn't rimmed and fits into a magazine normally, meaning you can have a 10mm 15 round double-stack pistol, but you can only have single-stack .44. A 10mm handgun, other than a revolvers, will be smaller than a .44 magnum semi-auto handgun.

But a .44 mag could be better than 10mm under some circumstances; absolutely.

I concede defeat: it honestly sounds like you've already decided

Get the Glock 10mm and leave the .44. :(

I may sulk for a while, but I'll get over it....

I have kept my firearms acquiring at a simple level: don't worry about caliber, parts or ammo------ if you like a weapon enough to want to take it home just do it! At that point you have become a "gunacholic" and there is little salvation other than acquiring more. So forget the dumb polls and get out to your LGS and pick up a rifle and pistol or two along with the ammo specials and another safe. The wife will understand and you are GTG for a day or two.:)

Should you add anything besides a 9mm pistol to your collection ? YES. Everyone needs a good revolver - shows people how PROPER guns are made. :D You only listed one choice in revolvers....357 magnum.....but, I would have actually voted for a 38 Special, had it been listed.

Years ago I had a handgun for every caliber (revolver and semi). One day I opened the ammo cabinet and just stared at the vast collection of ammo and thought wow, what was I thinking. I then sold all other pistols and ammo except the 45ACP. My collection is limited to that caliber (semi and revolver) and while sometimes I yearn for a nice Sig in 9mm, I'm fine with the 45ACP. It's simple, ammo is plentiful (yes somewhat expensive - but I don't shoot ALOT), and I never worry about wrong ammo purchases.

I do have a Sig P238 which functions purely as the "honey can you run to the store - drop in the gym shorts pocket" firearm.

Back