Shots per groups

As a rookie home reloader. 10 shots was my typical. As I grew older & wiser 5 shots gave me a good grouping read. These days being a geezer I seldom shoot more than three shot groupings and try get by with two. I kinda think three shot groupings increase barrel temperature to which increases the chance of my witnessing a flyer. ( A gen_uine down'er y'll.)

Would having a heavier barrel although it heats up, isn't it suppose to help more vs a thinner barrel? Would it decrease the chance of having a flyer?

3-shots only establishes a point of aim on paper. Tyros, lazy shooters, and the overly cheap think 3-shots is 'good 'nough' to be called a 'group.' :rolleyes: It's not.

5-shots is a baseline group - more commonly a string or sequence of three or four of them (with time between for barrel cooling) - and is necessary to reliably vet the accuracy of a particular load (factory or handload) in a particular rifle. Change the load, or switch to another the rifle even using the same load, and you'll have to start all-over.

This pertains to 'hunting'-grade rifles, not precision or bench-rest rifles. For those rifles, a 10-shot string is often used to establish accuracy, because from the git-go they've been set up with tuned and blue-printed actions, Match-grade barrels, and high-end triggers set especially light.

Don't expect much. Most of that stuff is 'junk' ammo. Good as 'range only' blasting ammo but not much else.

The high-grade .223 Match stuff is what you need if you really want to vet your rifle's accuracy potential - especially if shooting a 10-shot 'precision' group.

There ya go. An answer based solely on opinion. Five shot group's re fun to shoot but in a hunting, as in big game, they serve no useful purpose. You'll seldom get a third shot on big game much less a fifth! Actually if you fire one shot per day for several days at the same target, you gonna have a better understanding of what your rifle will do. I don't know that there is a standard of number of shot's to check a rifle; well other than someone want's you to believe. If 5 shot's is better than 3 then 10 shot's is better than 5!Of course that means 15 is better than 10 and 20 better than 15! Boy can this get crazy!

Let's say you take the one shot a day road. If every day the shot goes into the same group, what is the need for more shot's other than to brag about group size. If you really want to brag, go to the ten shot group. If your just a hunter, you don't need even a 1" group no matter how many shot's you take.

Testing new loads, i never shoot more than 3 shot group's, my rifle's are hunting rifle's. Never had a need for 5 shot's on a big game animal. But if you want to shoot five shots, well by all means go for it.

Seems to me that if your rifle has been giving you the results you want, and you're satisfied with those results, then whatever size groups you've been using in testing have been adequate for YOUR purposes. (Generic "you".)

Different strokes for different folks.

A single hit on a target @ 1 mile is a group!
No, it is not. That is a single hit, as you stated. A group is multiple hits (just like a group of people is 3, 4, 5, whatever), and the distance between the center of the holes (spread or dispersion) is the size of the group.

TXAZ snickered:
A single hit on a target @ 1 mile is a group!

Scorch Opined:
No, it is not. That is a single hit, as you stated. A group is multiple hits (just like a group of people is 3, 4, 5, whatever), and the distance between the center of the holes (spread or dispersion) is the size of the group.[QUOTE/]

Don’t knock it till you’ve done it. :)
Read Art’s prior post. (Its humor)

Last edited:
Back