Shotguns Dangerous??

This thread has an interesting tone....are all improvements bad?

When did they become bad? Matchlock to flintlock? Black powder to smokeless? Colt SA to 1911? Was the pump and or semi-auto a bad idea?

Or is it the safety? Is making a gun safer like gun control to the fine readers here?

BTW, I really enjoy the comment about my walking ability....if you've never fallen down, you really need to challenge yourself more! If you think you can't fall carrying your gun, I would suggest a SA revolver carried cocked in a trigger open rig.:D

When did they become bad? Matchlock to flintlock? Black powder to smokeless? Colt SA to 1911? Was the pump and or semi-auto a bad idea?

Or is it the safety? Is making a gun safer like gun control to the fine readers here?

I'll take SA Colts in the hands of safe shooters with common sense over Glocks in the hands of irresponsible fools anyday.

I agree safety is much more associated with the person than the weapon itself. A shotgun with a trigger-guard safety is plenty safe so long as the person carrying it knows what he/she is doing and is paying attention.

For example, why in the world would you climb into a tree stand, or climb down from a tree stand, with a loaded weapon??? If you are concerned with safety...you would never do that. You load it after you are in the stand, and you unload it before you start down....obviously.

Safety on when walking...always. If you know you're prone to be stumble-footed, or traversing particularly rough terrain, then empty chamber when walking. In other words, know your, and your gun's, limitations and act accordingly.

I am all for improvements. I just said if I was a successful manufacturer of a highly successful gun I would not go fooling with it. If you do come up with an improved safety you're likely to get sued by some idiot and his get rich quick lawyer because he got hurt with one without an 'improved' safety. If you know how to implement one, please feel free to share the info in detail.

Safety mandates; Design requirements; R&D; Manufacturing processes; Price points; Customer satisfaction.

Safety and environmental mandates drive changes to existing designs when imposed at the Federal, or State level - or design flaws. If a manufacturer is required to comply with new standards or correct design flaws, that means they have to rev up engineering, re-do testing, revise processes, all which add cost to the product the customer is already satisfied with and willing to pay for. In this case there are no design flaws.

Someone thinks manufacturers are going to jump on this horse for what someone perceives to be an issue? Um, the short answer is NO!

Last edited:
Himm let's see:

1 It's not my fault.

2 The gun is bad

3 It's the store's fault for selling me the gun

4 I tripped -- bad shoe's

5 Land owner should have known where I was walking and cleared the way.

6 Gotta blame the ammunition maker too.

7 Gun sling was in my way

8 Get lawyer -- go to court.

Please note in other country's of the world, if you trip and fall if

carrying a gun or not you are still a klutz and YOU are responsible for your

actions.

jaguarxk120 said:
Himm let's see:

1 It's not my fault.

2 The gun is bad

3 It's the store's fault for selling me the gun

4 I tripped -- bad shoe's

5 Land owner should have known where I was walking and cleared the way.

6 Gotta blame the ammunition maker too.

7 Gun sling was in my way

8 Get lawyer -- go to court.

Please note in other country's of the world, if you trip and fall if

carrying a gun or not you are still a klutz and YOU are responsible for your

actions.

Thank goodness you had no role in the 1911, Glock 17, Win M70, etc designs.

I'm also thankful that the FBI and military have the drive to get this level of design in their standard weapons.

At ease.

I'm done with this thread. You guys whom never have tripped. . .carry on!

Mods, feel free to close this thread as I think there have been no responses to the OP. . . .If you did respond to the OP, I'm sorry I missed it.

You asked why shotguns keep to a different standard than combat handguns and rifles as far as safeties go, and I think you got a lot of perceived reasons. You did not ask could it be done or should it be done in the original post. I will repeat, if you have an idea for a reliable, quick to operate, inexpensive to implement system, let's hear it.

It sounds like someone has a political agenda that doesn't sit well with the notion that shotguns are safe enough as is, if you consider the OP's initial post implies they should be safer. I respect the one opinion, but think it childish to ask for this thread to be shut down do the numerous posts in disagreement with the position.

Speaking of dangerous, and not to give away my personal views, how about those kitchen butcher knives that are just waiting to be dropped on bare feet? If only they had to be cuffed to the user's wrist with a short tether.

Back