Shotguns Dangerous??

"Racked back with a round on the elevator."

That's about the oddest way to store a shotgun I have ever heard of.

I agree with you, bamaranger. I thought of doing that since I didn't want one in the chamber and doing so added a seventh round to the 6 carried in the tube. I rejected the thought since it would be too easy for the shell on the elevator to get off kilter with the result being a jammed action. Also the open breech might allow foreign material to find its way into the action with the same result; a jam.

I hung the gun with a two part yoke on the buttstock so it hung straight. Where the yoke met the hoisting rope, I tied it with a string half hitch so a tug from the ground would release it. I knew right where it was going to hit so I stood there ready to catch it on the first bounce, and did.
BTW, not only did the sear not disengage, but that super skinny firing pin spring must be tougher than I thought because the primers didn't have a hint of a dent either.

Why not a new shotgun like the Remington rifle/scope combination.

Range finder built in and computes the trajectory of bullet, you pick the target, the rifle fire's after computing bullet drop and crosshairs are in proper spot.

In a shotgun it wouldn't fire unless game/bad guy in range, gun can determine friend or foe. Shoot ducks by just pointing in general direction.

As I said before don't drop the gun, think before you do something!!

Why not a Rem 870 NM with sear lock safety and a series 80 type firing pin safety? It's basically just a redesign of the ignition and bolt....I'm not positive, but I think there's room.

If properly marketed, hunters and police would flock to it.

Unlike most here, people who use their guns hard, fall on them and drop them out of the truck. I know I would like this safety change, but for an 18.5" rifled semi-auto 12 ga....the safety should be a thumb lever or possibly a trigger finger push button.

Just market it with hunter's running, dropping to the ground, climbing through muck, "pushing" heavy woods, shotgun falling out of a tree....is your shotgun tough enough for this?

I believe my shotgun is plenty tough, and tougher than I am, and I treat it with respect and take care of it. I don't know anything the manufacturers could do that would make people flock to them even more than they have already. Re-designing well proven guns to fit imagined scenarios would not look attractive to me were I them.

Or could it be that some treat their guns like crap and don't care about them.

But the fact is many shooters treat their guns well and do not drag them through the mud or use them for boat paddles, or drop them from tree's.

For ultimate safety why not a double barrel shotgun? Heck, now they have a triple barrel. You could load it and leave it open.

It is very unlikely that a shotgun will go off from firing pin creep. A shotgun has a larger and heavier hammer than a handgun and so can have a much heavier firing pin spring. Plus, shotgun primers are harder than handgun primers. The combination means that a loaded shotgun dropped on the muzzle is not going to fire from "creep" as some handguns can, and there is no need for a firing pin block.

As to the hammer jarring off, designers know that shotguns take a beating and design their guns not to do that; if it happens, it is almost always the result of a badly worn gun or tampering with the sear/hammer engagement.

Jim

A Navy VBSS Sailor nearly blew his leg off due to an older Mossberg shotgun of some sort. He was climbing a boarding ladder, shell chambered/safety on, weapon slung in front of him, when the stock banged into the side of the freighter.

My Browning BT-99 doesn't even have a safety. "Safe" being open until it's my turn to shoot.

Even when dove hunting, I took to using the skeet/trap range safety rule of carrying my guns broke open. It doesn't take that much time to close the gun when you need to take a shot.
The same goes for rifles, you can finish closing the bolt right before the shot nearly as fast as releasing a safety.

Hey, Dreaming100straight, I sure hope you didn't pull that down because of my wisecrack. Next time I joke around, I'll try to use an emoticon, so people will know that it's supposed to be funny.

Anyway, if I caused that, I apologize. Say, would you maybe introduce us...?

:)

Bella you may have a good point about the three barreled gun. Slopping around in the swamps or tripping on your own feet a break open gun would be safer. And a three barrel would give one instant choke selection and meet duck laws.

Just seen Shooting Sportsman magazine there is a nice write up on a three barrel gun may be the OP should look at it.

There is not a problem with the current safety.

A new safety design is not needed.

Re designs always have bugs and problems.

The biggest problem is a gun not firing when you need it to.

Jaguar, thanks.

There certain firearm designs that maybe considered safer, but there ain't any gun that is 100% safe. Even a Daisy Red Ryder has the potential to injure someone, well at least an eye. :D

Quote:
"Racked back with a round on the elevator."

That's about the oddest way to store a shotgun I have ever heard of.
I agree with you, bamaranger. I thought of doing that since I didn't want one in the chamber and doing so added a seventh round to the 6 carried in the tube. I rejected the thought since it would be too easy for the shell on the elevator to get off kilter with the result being a jammed action. Also the open breech might allow foreign material to find its way into the action with the same result; a jam.
Dreaming100Straight is offline Report Post

Hmmm...I should have clarified.

The foregrip has been fully racked back and has now been moved forward slightly so that the elevator has a shell about 1/4" into the chamber. There is no way for the shell to get jarred or fall out. Maybe if I were running with it in that condition, but all I will be doing is picking it up and sliding the forend forward to fully chamber the round. Also, it is sitting in a corner. Nothing is moving it or is anything falling into the muzzle.

This way I have a full tube +1. The cycling and point process is a heck of a lot faster than a full rack/point. I've tested it out and it works for me, but it may not work for everyone.

Onward Allusion, If it works for you that is all that counts, but for me that shell may just as well be racked as sitting on the elevator, since it all too easily was chambered when the gun was picked up. The one benefit to keeping it in such a fashion, with the breech partially open, was that anyone picking it up would hopefully see the shell and realize that the gun was fully loaded. As much as I tell household members too always treat a gun as though it is loaded, I sometime wonder what some are thinking.

A Rem 870, Mossberg 500 have only a manual trigger block. This, IMHO them AD prone when falling or dropping from a treestand. What keeps shotguns held to a different standard?

I guess when you start to cc a shotgun is when you should expect the safety to compare to a handgun.

A shotgun is as dangerous as you intend it to be. I have a couple that have been harmless for years...:p

There are a lot more people maimed and killed by the treestands you are worried about dropping the shotgun out of. When I was in the military, the majority of accidents involving shotguns were caused by plugged barrels, followed by just plain old people screwing up.

Back