Shotgun for home defense

I know that the Clint Smith is acknowledged as an expert, but that video bothers me. Sure, it is important to know how to run what you have, but to suggest that a single shot is as effective as a standard pump or a decent semi just doesn't sit right with me. Another thing, what's with sxs laying on the table with a flashlight held on by a rubber band?

Last edited:
I agree with the "I need to know how to run the gun I got", but the fact is some gear is better for the task than other gear. Buy the best you can aford and become the best you can with it. I'll bet dollars to Donuts Clint dose't have a single shot gun standing in the corner of his bedroom to defend the home front!!;)

Last edited:
The point is that one does not need to spend $1000 of $$$ to defend their home. As many have pointed out in this thread a basic pump gun like an 870 will do the job but if and only if you do your part.

That is the real point if the video. You can have Wilson Combat scatter gun but if you don't know how to use how to clear it how to reload it it is not going to do you much good. A person with a single shot shotgun or SXS who knows how to use it will be more effective defending themselves then a person with a Sagia who does not know how to clear a jam.

Yes there is good gear and bad gear but the actual gun is only a fraction of the equation. It is more often than not all about the Indian not the arrow. Too often we focus on this gun or that gun being the end all be all and that more dollars sent equals more safe but without the training this us simply not the case.

Pardner Pump Protector

I purchased a Pardner Pump Protector in November and since then have put a wide variety of shells though it. Very reliable. Barrel is regulated well so Federal Truball slugs hit point of aim at 25 yards.

I've done a fair amount of buck shot patterning. The photos and data are at www.facebook.com/PardnerProtector

Take a look if your so inclined.

I've tried to add some images here but my file size exceeds the 244k limit.

Here is what is great about the H&R 1871 Pardner Pump Protector:

1. Steel Receiver.
2. Metal Trigger Guard.
3. Remington Made Barrel.
4. Positive Cross Bolt Safety.
5. Effective Recoil Pad.
6. Sling Swivel Studs Installed.
7. Robust Reliable Action.
8. 5 + 1 Capacity.
9. Composite Stock
10. Reasonable Price.

Regards,

BlueSmoke

My suggestions to the OP:
Mossberg 500
Mossberg 590A1
Stoeger Coach Gun
Some version of Rem 870 of choice
My particular 870 is a short rifled barrel with iron sights serving duel purpose as a 50 yard deer slug gun as well as #00 Buck for HD

Mossberg?

I live in the country so it would be close to impossible to accidentally hit the neighbors with a stray shotgun blast. I did a cursory look at some Mossberg models and found these two interesting:

SPX-8 (semi-auto)
590 A1 (pump)

Any thoughts? I was also curious to what people thought of adjustable stocks and pistol grips (with a stock). Thank you for the responses so far
I opted to go the semi-auto route for my fighting shotgun, and have owned the 930 SPX for a few years now. It has been 100% with about 10 different loads through and especially with the 00 buck loads from Remchester I keep it loaded with. One thing nice about this one is it's mild recoil, even with buck loads. It's stock is adjustable, so you may not feel quite as comfortable as you'd like with it in the store. Mine required an adjustment and is now perfect. I'd definitely give it a look if you're looking for a bargain autoloader.

Stevie-Ray said:
I opted to go the semi-auto route for my fighting shotgun, and have owned the 930 SPX for a few years now. It has been 100% with about 10 different loads through and especially with the 00 buck loads from Remchester I keep it loaded with. One thing nice about this one is it's mild recoil, even with buck loads. It's stock is adjustable, so you may not feel quite as comfortable as you'd like with it in the store. Mine required an adjustment and is now perfect. I'd definitely give it a look if you're looking for a bargain autoloader.

What model of Mossberg semi-auto shotgun has an adjustable stock? On their website, it looks like the Mossberg 930 SPX-8 has a fixed stock. I was interested in the durability of the 930 Special purpose Shotguns. Do they have parts that are prone to break?

870 models or 500/590s with Davidson's Warranty offers...

I've seen many online sources with police type/LE Remington 870 12ga shotguns or the lesser known Mossberg 500/590 with the Davidson's lifetime service plan.

These shotguns are easy to service, come with good defense features(ghost sights, 1913 rails, pistol grip stocks, etc) & are available.

What model of Mossberg semi-auto shotgun has an adjustable stock? On their website, it looks like the Mossberg 930 SPX-8 has a fixed stock.
It is fixed. But, you pull the stock off and slip any of several included shims on it adjusting for rise or drop, whichever you need.

I have a wide variety, but generally like relatively simple setups. Semi-autos, pumps, SxS... they should have a flashlight, and extra ammo, and be reliable.

I don't need lasers or Eotechs on a system that would never be used out to beyond 10-20 yards.

Lightweight, easy to maneuver and familiar controls will win the day.

I prefer the Mossberg 18.5" 500/590 for a SD shotgun over the 870 due to it's dual extractors and lighter weight. I plan on getting a Hogue 12" LOP stock at some point to make mine shorter and handier around the house. Another thing I prefer about the Mossberg over the 870 is the safety location.

NEF makes a 10 ga,
cut that down to 18 inches and you are good to go:D
dont forget to take out the recoil reducer for extra fun

I'm in the process of acquiring a Mossberg 500 SPX with the AR style stock and ghost ring sights. I picked this gun because I've owned a Mossberg 500 with brass bead front sight and straight stock so was familiar with the controls, etc. I have short arms so the standard stock is really too long for me. A shorter or adjustable stock will help me shoot it better. I also wanted the ghost ring sights for the same reason. Rather than buying accessories for the Mossy I now own, I figured it wouldn't be a lot more just to buy a new gun.

As far as having to shift the hand off the grip to move the safety, that's not a big deal for my purposes. I'm not a three gunner. I am going to keep the safety off (and no round in the chamber).

I tried the gun (non-firing) and liked the way it felt. This solution is not for everyone but I'm hoping it will work for me.

I was recently making a very similar decision and I ended up buying a Mossberg 500 Home/Field Combo. It comes with an 18.5" home defense barrel and a 28" vent ribbed field barrel, which means its almost like having 2 shotguns in one. Barrels can be changed in under a minute easy.

I considered the Pardner and Stevens 320, but parts availability for the Mossberg won me over. The Stevens 320 got a long look because you can get a similar combo to the Mossberg for just $250ish whereas I paid around $375 for mine. But, the Stevens 320 has had issues with the welds breaking at the fore end and making it unable to cycle. I've heard they have fixed the issue but still made me nervous and the question of parts availability clinched my choice of the Mossberg.

Rossi Circuit Judge
They come in a few different sizes, .410 and 28 gauge are available. I have a .45/.410 model and love it. Light and compact but doesn't feel like a small gun when you aim, I think Rossi really made a great gun. I have shot mine alot, I have not had one issue with it. My only complaint is its made when you eject the shells the stock holds the plug in if you use it. Good for hunting, but without the plug in, that means you have to rotate the cylinder to empty it completely. Some woodwork takes care of it. It holds 5 shots and you can shoot it as fast as a semi auto but without the worries of it jamming or not cycling. I got mine as soon as they were realeased. For home defense I like the idea of Federal 3 inch 000 or lately I've been using .45 Colt Hornady LeveRevolution. With 000 you can get all 5 pellots in a gallon jug at 15 yards. With .45 Colt it's as accurate as open sights can be. It does come with a tube for shotgun shells and a tube for bullets. The tube for bullets is smooth and is a bigger hole than the rifling. I believe the theory of the shotgun tube is a gimmick, it's rifled to get the pattern to spread. I have only used the smooth tube, and have no complaints. It patterns pretty tight at 15 yards. I've shot pdxi, 000, and birdshot through it, absolutely no problems. I highly recommend this gun. Yes, .410 isn't the most powerful round, but 5 .36 caliber pellots ought to do some damage. It puts a nice hole in a gallon of ice. Plus there's the 28 gauge version if you want a little more power.

Back