Shooting With Bifocals

Has anyone tried mutifocal contact lenses? I should have them this Friday. From the basic tests I went thru last week I was able to see both sites clearly and had great focus out to normal shooting ranges. Range time will tell the tale.

stick-on bifocal lenses

The comment that only the front sight should be in focus and the target should be blurry is in keeping with traditional instruction. However, with age and bifocals, the target is not blurry for me when focusing on the front sight through bifocals, it is completely gone. This can work at short ranges, but it doesn't hold up for more distant targets.

I have used a stick-on bifocal lens on the aiming side and keep both eyes open, so the target is at least visible. Still, I have mostly given up on having the level of precision I used to enjoy. Maybe it's time for a custom set of shooting glasses.

Amazon's price of $29.99 seems an outrage. The same thing is (usually) available from Safety Glasses USA for $7.95, although they are currently "temporarily out of stock". Maybe someone is hoarding.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf34.html

I hope this is helpful.

-Mark

Re: Superfocus

I bite the bullet and shell out $500 (with 10% discount) for a Superfocus glasses. So far it has been working well. I can adjust the focus to the gun sight or the target or somewhere in between. This is what I use most of the time, now I can see both the sight and target relatively clear (not 100% but a good compromise). It takes some time to adjust and getting used to. Only problem is if you have to look at close object or the target then you have to adjust the focus again. I spent a lot of time on computer so I found an adjustment that I can see the computer and distance objects without adjusting. It is not for everyone and not too many style to choose from. It works well for me for the range and everyday use. Superfocus offer 30 days trial, if anyone what to try it can use 10% discount code SO-009599.

Bifocals are just part of the price of admission to the over 50 club. You just have to get used to focusing on the sights and letting the target get a little blurry.

Geezerdom carries a price tag. ;)

"a little blurry" is an understatement! Damn near disappearing is about right to describe how I see the target these days.

My contacts use the "mono-vision" system: one eye for distance, one for reading. After a few days getting used to them, the brain automatically adjusts between them. The only problem is that my dominant eye is my distance eye and won't focus on the sights. So now I have an artificially created cross-dominance. After decades of shooting modified weaver, I'm now working on going back to more of a modified isoceles with both eyes open.

As others have pointed out, regardless of what the condition of your eye(s) might be, and regardless of whether you add corrective lenses, you can only focus on one distance at a time - everything else goes more or less blurry - and the distance you need to be concerned about is the distance of the front sight. For short money, drugstore reading glasses can take care of that for you.

It is, however, possible to have your cake and (at least under reasonably bright conditions) eat it too. By attaching a simple pinhole diaphragm to your glasses (Eyepal is probably the best known supplier) you increase your depth of field in the same way that stopping a camera lens down increases depth of field. That way, you can usually bring all three elements (rear sight, front sight, target) into acceptably sharp focus. I often use Eyepal with iron sights and they do work amazingly well. The only small downside is that you need to align things so you can see through the pinhole, but if you get it placed correctly on your glasses that happens almost automatically.

I tried, but just can't get used to bifocals. Driving was scary, and the tilting the head annoyed me big time, and so I just had reading glasses made. I never wear them though, I just look over the top of my regular glasses and get really close to what I'm reading..

eldermike has the right idea. That's what I did: I bought a pair of "computer glasses," which are basically weak reading glasses (1.00 in this case), that also have a yellow-orange colored lens (like shooting glasses) that cut blue light ("blue blur," as it's called). Works for me. The target is a little fuzzy, but my sights are sharp.

A lot of people think that "focus on the front sight," means that the front sight must in focus. This is not true. It simply means that you must concentrate your attention on the front sight, and that you must actively look at the front sight to be sure it is lined up properly with the rear sights.

For those of us who are getting older, this often means that we will put the fuzzy front sight over the blurry rear sight, align them as best we can, and press the trigger smoothly.

Don't destroy your solid, good shooting stance that allows you to have a good recoil control, simply because someone told you that you had to "focus" on something blurry. They just meant you should be paying attention to how it is lined up.

Also, if you are practicing for the purposes of self-defense – not just plinking, but planning to bet your life on your ability to shoot the gun accurately when you need it – it is foolish to be getting specialized glasses for the purpose of shooting. You need to be able to trust your own eyesight as your own eyesight will usually be.

pax

which are basically weak reading glasses

Not to split hairs, but posters who are talking about buying cheapo reading glasses for shooting need to keep in mind that such glasses don't provide any level of safety. Your glasses need to be safety lenses as well. You're not going to get that for $1.

I had a set of shooting glasses made with my mid-level prescription. The sights are clear and the target is a little fuzzy. The lenses are hi-impact polycarbonate.
Works fine for my old eyes.:)

>>I had a set of shooting glasses made with my mid-level prescription<<

I basically did the same thing, having found that my dedicated "computer" glasses worked perfectly for pistol shooting. I subsequently had a pair of shooting glasses made with the same prescription, and they work pretty slick!

Back