Shooting With Bifocals

labhound: I purchased some inexpensive reading glasses from a drug store and that works well for focusing on the front sight but no matter what you do the target is always out of focus.

Exactly. There's only one thing in focus when you shoot, that's the front sight. A $5 pair of reading glasses from DrugCo will allow that to happen. They come in all shapes and sizes and magnifications. Just try them on till you find one that allows you to "read the fine print" in the store at the distance you'd expect your front sight to be.

Lump

A gunsmith I know had his optometrist make his bifocals upside down. He had his lenses made focused for the distance from his eye to his front sight at the top of the lens and lenses focused for distance viewing in the lower part.

This has been mentioned before, in various configurations. It seems to me to be a good solution and turned out to be no more expensive than a regular pair of bifocals. Of course, the optometrist was also a shooter.

Lost Sheep

I just practice with my bifocals and got used to it. I have a separate pair of glasses without the reading lens for when I ride my motorcycle (with transitions lenses for both night and day riding) and they are great. I thought about it for shooting, and for just plinking or target shooting that would be fine, but when practicing with the HD or CCW pistols it isn't as good a solution since any self-defense situation will most likely happen while wearing my bifocals.

If it really bothers you, get a cheap 2nd pair of glasses without the bifocal reading lens. Many mall/shopping center based chains have "buy one get one" sales, and there are some decent online places now that are cheap. I'm going that way for a pair of prescription sunglasses for driving.

I've worn progressive lenses so long, I don't even notice since tilting my head has become automatic.

That right there.

I don't notice cocking my head to the right angle to see clearly. And no problem shooting handgun.

I have the same problem. Sometimes it's hard for me to line up the front sight. This is more of a problem on my High Standard 22 that use for targets. My M&P 9c has the white dots and I don't have a problem with it. I'd paint the High Standard sights but the gun was my dad's (bought in early 60s) and I want to leave it as is.

Welcome to the old farts shooting club, even if you’re not old.
I have had the same problem for a good number of years. From the suggestion of my eye doctor after I asked, I took the slide only from a 1911 in with me and she marked where I sight through my glasses.
She then had a set of lenses cut so that the “Sweet” spot is at the point of the lens that I look through. Granted this doesn’t work in a SD or competition shooting but it will help with target shooting.
For competition I put a set of peep type sights on the back of my G34. Haven’t tried them yet due to the weather.

I had the exact same problem. I had special shooting glasses made which utilized a "golfer's segment." Except, with mine, the correction/circle is in the upper inside corner where I sight through to see the front sights. Works like a charm.

bifocals-golf-324x184.jpg

If there is a fiber optic front sight for your gun you might try it. I had the same problem and after installing the new sight was able to leave the glasses behind.

I did what s3779m suggested on a new G34. I haven’t had a chance to try the gun out because of weather and other distractions,,, (honey do list).
It seems to work better than standard sights but until I have a chance to put a couple of hundred down ranges I will hold my opinion.
If you go to the thread below and the last page there are some photos that you can see the sights that are on the gun. These were suggested by a very experienced action pistol shooter.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524254&page=2

I did what bigjim and a couple others mentioned. Special glasses made for shooting. Before I even asked, my eye doctor suggested I bring in one of my pistols so we setup one lens to be best when I held up my gun in firing position and got that focus as good as possible. Also made them with safety glass. Picked out a style similar to the old Ray Bans (think Top Gun) which are larger than a lot of todays style, offer better protection. Couldn't her happier.

Talk to your Optometrist, have him fit your Flat Top bifocal at the bottom of your pupil,and cut your bifocal power in half.That will give you a clear front sight without having to hold your head back so far.

I tossed using Isosceles stance. I found standing squared up to the target to be difficult as my eyes have lost the ability to focus in close. I want to bring my head down and looking out the top of my glasses doesn't work, nor does cocking my head back far enough to use the bottom of my lenses.

I went to a modified weaver stance and stand nearly sideways. It may not be the "best" stance but with my progressive lenses I can move my head just a little and see the sights with the bottom of the lens and the target by just tucking my chin in a little.

I wear double bifocals at work (electrician's lenses or I have heard them called double D's) because of overhead work and I got tired of having a sore neck. Haven't tried shooting with them yet.

For target & bulleye, I use an old Merit. Other than that, last years "Reading Glasses".

A new Merit will run about $60.00, I got my for about $15, "back in the day"..

>>Has anyone tried Superfocus?<<

I checked them out and they looked interesting.... that is until I priced them out. Yikes!

After some thought. While a special pair of glasses set up for shooting might be ideal.

If someone gets in my house or if I am carrying and need to shoot I am not going to be able to go, "Oh hold on for a sec" while I put on my special shooting glasses.

I would rather practice and be used to shooting with my normal glasses so it is automatic when I shoot with them. Even if it means I can't shoot a 1" group at 25 yards. :)

trifocals

I wear progressive trifocals most days. When I go to shoot, I have a set of single vision lenses that make the front sight razor sharp. The targets are a tad fuzzy, but I shoot a 45 so I can still score as I go.

I go the reading glasses route like Eldermike

My distance vision is still fine so I use a pair of $6.99 1.25x reading glasses which bring the front sight into crystal clarity. If I use my progressives I have to tilt my head and switch to my left eye to get a clear sight picture. I use the same glasses on V&T stops. With them I can see good enough to know if the driver of the car is pointing a bazooka at me but it lets me read a license and see my sights if things turn interesting

I've worn trifocals for over a decade, mainly for the more repetitive things I need to do at work. Having three focal lengths puts a razor sharp focus at pistol firing distance, great focus for targets and really detailed when handling any misfire or breakdown type issues.

Luckily, these are covered with eyeglass plan, but not too expensive over bifocals. The middle focus works well for computer screen also, and although it isn't as tall as the distant and near focal range, it is a blessing if you can't adjust to progressives.

reading-glasses.jpg

Although the trifocals above show a narrow close and intermediate, mine are much larger - allowing so sway effect like progressives have and no dead-spots. I swear by them. I even tried the HYPED "All new Digital Progressives" and what a waste - I am envious of people who CAN wear progressives, I get woosie and vertigo no matter how long I wear them. My ophthalmologist says it is because of reduced wide-vision due to my glaucoma - who am I to disagree.

Last edited:
Back