Shield Plus: A Paper-Pusher's Impressions

I have three Performance Center models, this latest Plus as well as a 45 and a 40 PC in the 2.0 series. My 45 for some reason does not have slide ports? The latest American Rifleman has the Plus on the cover. The story inside does not mention a longer barrel. Too many variations and not well delineated by S&W.

I guess my point is the variations are not publicized enough. In all the stories and articles about the Plus, which by the way, I love, none mention the option of a longer slide and barrel

Guess I'm the only one who goes to the S&W company website and looks at the models listed.

They have a 4" Plus model plainly listed, with some combinations of barrel porting, reflex optic included, and thumb safety.

Yesterday I bought a Plus PC with the 3.1 barrel, ported, thumb safety. Won't be able to pick it up because WA state has its own local background check for pistols, to replace the more-or-less instant NICS check. So until week after next I don't actually have it and can't comment on it very much.

This new one comes with a very stiff thumb safety, especially when being moved up to put it "on safe". Today at the range I checked out somebody else's older Shield and the safety was much easier to move. I can see there will be a bunch of "safety on, safety off" movements while I watch TV, as I hope to wear it in enough to make it move easier.

Bart Noir
Who has seen not a single Plus mag for sale, in shops or online.

In spite of only having 150 rounds through it, my Shield Plus became my EDC over the weekend. I emptied my 1.0 mags and loaded the Plus mags. Obviously, I would have preferred to have at least 2 more 13-rounders for carry, but those are still made of unobtainium as of this posting. I emailed S&W and they said it would be "a few more weeks" before Plus mags are available for sale (separate from pistols).

Equally obviously, I would have preferred to shoot it more before moving it up to EDC status, but time and ammo supplies being what they are these days, that could have taken a while. Nonetheless, the first 150 rounds went through without so much as a hiccup, so I feel pretty good about it. I'll shoot it more as my time and ammo stockpiles allow.

I have also come to realize that if this Shield performs as well as my 1.0 did, it could well be the last concealed carry pistol I ever buy. Between it, my Shield 45 (assuming I can get it "qualified for carry"), and my Ruger LCR, all of my carry needs are covered, and covered by pistols I really like.

MAGAZINES!!! I finally found some available on GB for $50 per 13-rounder from a seller named Brohey. I only ordered a couple, because I think the price will come down when mag supply catches up with pistol supply, and obvously, I'd rather pay less than more.

I got my hands on one of these this past week. Really excellent trigger compared to any Shield I have shot before (all of which were beat-up “battlefield pickup drill” or “mandatory pick this off the table and shoot it” guns in various training classes)- and compared to most all other striker guns, it is very good indeed.

They did something really special with this particular trigger. Unfortunately the grip isn’t to my preferences, but it is sure a neat little pistol.

I just shot an RDS equipped Shield+ in 9mm yesterday and I was impressed with it's accuracy. I got it as a free rental just to try out an RDS pistol to see how it felt and if I could adapt to the red dot sights. I only intended to shoot a couple mags but ended up shooting about 50 rounds out of it. It was stupid simple to shoot good groups at 25 yards with my reloads (no factory ammo, just reloads). Much better than my Gen 4 G19. I didn't care for the grip, but the trigger is nicer than my Gen 1 Shield 9 (which I have no problem with).

Lessons learned:
1. My G19 is getting a new aftermarket barrel some day (father's day?).
2. An RDS pistol isn't as hard to adapt to as I thought it would be. By the 2nd mag, it was almost coming to a natural point, even with a grip that I wasn't 100% comfortable with.
3. The Shield+ is ACCURATE!

I'm not a lawyer, Spats, but that was a great review. Both of my sons carry Shields, and find them well suited to their carry needs. While I carry a Sig P365 for trips to town, I have shot my son's examples here on our home range. Like you, the trigger does give me a sore spot, but they ran like a top, feeding everything we tried from FMJ's to home case LSWC's, and some very aggressive JHP's as well.

Best regards, Rod

Have a gen 1 shield Like the SIG 365 Better
There's certainly nothing wrong with the P365. Like mpolk, I got rid of my Shield 1.0 after getting the Plus. There was nothing wrong with my 1.0, either. I loved that gun, but a good friend of mine needed it more than I needed for it to sit in my safe.

The P365 is a great gun. I just have large hands and of all the micro pistols, it fits my hand the worst. Between the grip angle and the fact that it is such a small grip, it just won't work for me. The Hellcat is not much bigger, but fits me better. The Shield and Shield Plus as well as my Walther PPSm2 all feel great in my hands. If the Glock 43X had better ergonomics, it would be in that category too. I end up carrying the Hellcat most of the time. It is just more comfortable IWB. JMHO

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I like the Sig P365 and have had both the standard one and the XL version. Whether it is the curved or straight trigger, both pinch my finger after a few shots. I'm not sure why. I have small hands and perhaps my finger is being pinched beneath the point of the trigger and the trigger guard. The Shield works much better for me. Perhaps, that is why I have four of them, the original in all three calibers and a new Shield Plus Performance Center. I have a bunch of handguns for comparison and the new Plus is a gem, especially the PC version,which with better sights and a great trigger, is well worth the additional cost.

I'm not sure what a good (fair?) buy this is but one of my local gun stores is selling the Shield Plus for $499.99 with a 13 round magazine.

I got rid of my Gen 1 when I got the Shield Plus. Best trigger of all the Micros.

Best trigger of all Micro's? Do you mean best for target shooting, EDC? I am presuming you mean best for you. People like triggers for various preferences. I have not shot the Sheild Plus. Did own a Shield many years ago. Nice gun but just not my cup of tea. Most of all the Micro 9mm's are as different as the People that buy them. I am glad the OP found his perfect EDC Micro. But for sure people should shoot as many as they can before just jumping on one particular gun. What is best for one person is a not a could choice for another. And so many Nice firearms to choose from.

The Shield Plus trigger has a very smooth take-up with a crisp break at 4lb 2oz average. Very little over-travel. Distinct audible reset. Qualities that work well for most people in a carry pistol, especially a hi-cap micro. JMHO

I'm not sure what a good (fair?) buy this is but one of my local gun stores is selling the Shield Plus for $499.99 with a 13 round magazine.
From what I've seen, that's a fair deal. I paid $529 + tax (with one 13 round and one 10 round magazine) and it looks like lots of them are available on GB for $499 + tax, shipping, transfer, etc.

Back