Share a photo of your target and tell your story about it!

tipoc said:
Interesting gun Mr.Borland. Extensively lightened hammer. What other modifications? Model 686?

Yes, it's a 686. Dash 6. Aside from the radically-bobbed hammer, mods are pretty straightforward - fiber optic front sight, Millet rear, chamfered charge holes, narrowed, radiused and polished trigger, and a little internal smoothing of the action. The DA pull isn't crazy light - about 7 1/2 lbs - and it shoots anything it's fed. I was using Miculek grips in the vid, but since switched over to Uncle Mikes.

4runnerman said:
I am very happy with it. 6MMBR, 107 Serrias.

Though it's a rifle target, it's still very pretty. Gotta love the 6mmBR. ;)

Best I have done. Now this was only 100 yards,but I am very happy with it. 6MMBR, 107 Serrias. Very cold that day 38 above. Wind was calm. Was shooting with 3 other that I shoot comp with. We all decided we were going to dial into 100 yards and see what we could do. This is a 5 shot group here

attachment.php

Now that is very nice.

Wow, some of you shoot better than any shooter I have ever seen anywhere, at any range, or on any TV gun show. Other than that impossible shots show of course. How do you do it? I would be embarrassed to show my targets here.

Here's some mediocre shooting with snubbies. Folks always have questions about accuracy with short barreled guns. A better shooter than I could do better.

Below is the light weight alloy framed Colt Cobra which is no longer produced. That gun is from 67 IIRC. Here the shots are at 15 yards and I took a casual rest to do it. I was shooting single action. A better shooter than I could do the same double action. But the point is that a snubby can hit something at 15 or 25 yards.

Three different loads and ammo in the pic.

Below is the same ammo from a S&W M&P from 1948. Also at 15 yards same day, same rest.

tipoc

I had added a set of night sights to my STI VIP and remembered I had shot it and had needed to bump the sight over just a smidge, but I couldn't remember if I had done it or not, I was working on several guns at the time, well I figured out I had when I ran the target out to 25 yards and fired one round.

breakin a cherry

First 7 rounds from my new Ruger SR9 at 7 yards at a 3" shoot n see. Only had time for a few quick rounds. Couldn't wait till next weekend to go shooting. Going to do same 15,25 yard shooting in the next few days.

Attachments

• IMG_20141012_171809_038-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20141012_171809_038-1-1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 33
Yep. Keep the stories rolling in.

I do like the snub nose report, you don't see many targets with those because people don't shoot them at the range that much and when the do they probably feel the group is nothing to brag about, but anything under 6" at 10 yards is better than average shooting in my opinion.

I remember one time I was out shooting and a friend had an AR-15, the first one I had ever held, and he was complaining how bad it shot. He handed it to me and said give it a try. It was winter and there were some weed stems sticking straight up out of the snow, about as big around a a soda straw. I said, I will shot at that weed out there and see if I can hit it. I shot and sure enough cut the weed right in two. He said, I guess it shoots great. I never told him I was shooting at the weed stem two inches to the left. :eek: :D

A bit more from short barreled guns.

Here are a few rounds from two guns in .380

On the left Sig's single action P238 with it's 2.7" barrel and on the right S&W's iteration of the Walther PPK/S1 with a 3.3" barrel.

All rounds shot at 7 yards. The Walther was shot first round da then sa. Both guns are stock.

With the little Sig we go top down with 10 rounds of Blazer 95 gr. ball ammo. Followed by the middle target with 15 rounds of Aguila 95 gr. ball. The lower has 15 rounds of HPR clean 100 gr. ball.

The Walther was top to bottom, 15 rounds of the 95 gr. Blazer, then 15 rounds of the Aguila and 15 of the HPR Clean.

Below the PPK/S at 8 yards with Speer Gold Dot HP.

Below 8 rounds of 85 gr. Winchester STHP from the P238.

tipoc

This is the first mag (10+1) I shot out of a new 1911 build when I picked it up the other day. This was shot with the 9mm barrel and cheap WWB ammo, it also has .38 Super and 9x23 Winchester barrels fitted to it.

20141011_164330.jpg

tipoc - I have the Walther and had the P238. I shoot the Walther pretty well, but the SIG just didn't work out. Looks like you shoot both very well.

WC145 - What do you mean when you say a 1911 build? What is it built from?

WC145 - What do you mean when you say a 1911 build? What is it built from?
A build as in a custom built gun. This gun was originally a plain Jane Colt 1991A1 .38 Super. Pretty much the only things left of the original gun are the slide and frame and they've both been modified.

This gun was originally a plain Jane Colt 1991A1 .38 Super. Pretty much the only things left of the original gun are the slide and frame and they've both been modified.

Well, I don't know what it shot like before, but it is excellent now. That seems like an enjoyable thing to do, to take a firearm and build it just the way you want it.

d4144a97442837c02a209cd1df089761.jpg

Let me start by saying that my grandfather is a world class shooter, and by world class I mean he's represented our country doing it. So shooting with him even now in his old age is intimidating.
So I hunted around Ct. Trying to find one of the last Marlin 1894s made here and was sucsessful. Time to bring it to the range with Grandpa. The scope was boresighted and my first shot was on paper. But my second wasnt and neither was my third. I was turning red and my grandfather offered to try it. To my relief, my gun hates non-jacketed bullets and on inspection of the target, found square holes indicatong tumbling bullets. So I put the cheap stuff away and pulled out a box of Hornady Leverevolution 225gr.
These were the first 5 shots at 100yds after a few to get it centered. Mind you, its a brand new gun, its a lever so after every shot I had to take the gun out of the rest to cycle it, and I had my grandfather watching. I could see the pride in his face.

Having normal vision in my left eye and being right handed presents a different challenge to target shooting. Recently, I tried shooting my Para USA Expert 1911 with a slightly canted sight picture. While my other 1911s require a 6 o'clock aim, the Expert requires that the fiber optic dot cove the target. So here I was practicing two different aspects of my sight picture. It didn't take too long to get it all together and it sure was a fun way to learn.

Here is the best group of the day (shot at 7 yds):

100414.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This target was shot specifically for this photo...>

With the future placement of the watch in mind I shot this target at 10 meters using a S&W Model 10 .38spl. I shot a few targets to give me options - this was the first and turned out to be the most suitable for the composition.

orient_p1_new5.jpg

Well, I don't know what it shot like before, but it is excellent now. That seems like an enjoyable thing to do, to take a firearm and build it just the way you want it.
It probably would be enjoyable if you had the gunsmithing skills, I don't so I paid a professional to do the work. I am enjoying the fruits of his labor, though.:)

Back