Series 70 (1973) Satin Combat Commander.

I agree with sarge912 here on the beavertail question.

If the hammer bites you then change it, but for most shooters hammer bite isn't a question with the commander style hammer.

It's also a personal choice. If something irritates your hand while shooting change it out, make it more comfortable. The 1911 is very modular in that regard.

In general I think the extended beavertail thing is played out. They can get so large they make cocking or de-cocking hard and clumsy and add unneeded bulk to an otherwise sleek gun.

tipoc

I accidentally posted the wrong emoticon, it was supposed to be this one: , and it was a reference to the Chistopher Walken Blue Oyster Cult SNL skit: "needs more cowbell".

Alot of fellas seem to think so it seems. They look at a 1911 and think: Needs more cowbell.

tipoc

Alot of fellas seem to think so it seems. They look at a 1911 and think: Needs more cowbell.

tipoc
Well tipdoc as per my sigling, my SR1911 CMD has a large beavertail, i see it as personal preference, those whom like small or no beavertail on their 1911/s, i don't put them down for it like a Fanboy or gun snob, but then again i don't like 1911 "purists" types doing the reverse. And my "needs more beavertail/cowbell" comment was meant in a lighthearted/in jest way. :)

I had one

I owned one for a number of years in the early '80's, at the time my only auto pistol, but could never get it to run reliably. Went thru a variety of mags and ammo combo's, but just when I thought I had something, it would burp. Very frustrating.

That said, I found the Commander a nice combination of weight, size and power and highly packable. When my agency went to SIG's, I felt I didn't need a second auto pistol in my life, even as a hobby gun, and sold it.

Back